J S Watson, Beckingham, Gainsborough

Sweeny Todd

Featured Posts

Hi

I am looking for any information re J S Watson shipyard in Gainsborough. Despite looking I a struggling to get much information from anywhere. 

Since buying our current boat we have been trying to find more info on when and where she was built. The information we have so far is that she was originally built for the City of York Corporation as a grab dredger during the 1930s. We have photos of this stage of her working life but no solid information of who did the build.3226143.jpg.a34a140fbafbada95bd92631ec63f3a1.jpg

Having seen her and the quite distinctive shape of her bow, it was suggested that she might have been built at the Watson yard in Gainsborough. Having found a couple of pictures of boats built there at around the same time, I can see a similarity in the bow shape. Unfortunately getting any further info about the shipyard is proving difficult. images.jpg.c94d2dba68c842a074a9c71b5404f312.jpg

Its a long shot, but does anyone have, or know where I can get any further info on the shipyard.

Thanks in advance

Sweeny Todd

see page 44 of this document

http://www.newarkheritagebarge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NHB-Education-Pack-Word.pdf

The Aegir, tidal bore passing J S Watson’s shipyard at Beckingham near Gainsborough. This photograph was probably taken around 1930

or here http://www.beckingham-northnotts.org.uk/history/shipyard.html

Edited by max's son

thanks for those links max's son and for getting back to me so fast. I have seen those articles during my research. I was more interested in records or listings of boats built during the 1930s at the yard so I can clafify if she was built there.

The Newark Heritage Barge people are probably the best source of information for Watsons. The York archives also have quite a lot of material about maintaining the river, so there could be information about your boat within the minutes.

Checking the material in York City Archives, Acc183/218 are the River Engineers papers and correspondence, which includes 'specifications of vessels, cranes and other machinery'. The dates for the whole section are 1887-1970. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think most of the records from J S Watson were in the Gainsborough Lirary at one time including the makers sample books. I am not sure if they are still there now.

I visited the site of the boatyard some years ago but there was nothing left as far as I could see.My tug, White Heather, was built there in 1932.

Regards

Mike Adams