Advice on fitting a separate diesel tank for my stove

AdamG

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, cuthound said:

My diesel drip stove is fed from a dedicated tank and feeds via  a small filter.

Personally I would address the root cause and get the existing tank drained and cleaned. If not you might find it eventually leaks where the water in the bottom has caused it to rust through and/or the crud will block your filters when it is least convenient.

Hi Cuthound... yep, I'll get the main tank seen to at some point. My limited research into that has discovered that it's quite expensive but I'll have to bit the bullet at some point...

Ok, further advice required please... If I buy a tank like this, say the 30-litre version:

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/engine-accessories/fuel-tanks-lines/hulk-portable-fuel-tank

...it has a fuel outlet on the top with a diameter of 8mm. What kind of extra equipment do I need to get the fuel from this outlet to my stove?

These kind of tanks are mostly used for outboard motors which will, presumably, automatically 'suck' the fuel from the can but my stove won't do that.

One thought... as the fuel tank will be situated higher than the inlet to the stove, then once a flow is established, surely it will continue. like a syphon?

I'm not an idiot (really, I'm not!) but without seeing one of these tanks in action, I don't understand how the fuel comes out of the top of the tank.

I'm really keen to sort this out this month, so if anyone can offer some advice on what I will need to buy to get the fuel from this outlet, along a relatively short pipe and into my stove, I would be very grateful :D

If you wish to use the top outlet and rely on a syphon, then use a pipe diameter around 3/16" maximum. This will keep up with the fire's requirements, without it having to pull too much weight of fuel, which will fail when the tank is half full. Also, do not install a filter at the tank, rely on that in the float control.

6 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you wish to use the top outlet and rely on a syphon, then use a pipe diameter around 3/16" maximum. This will keep up with the fire's requirements, without it having to pull too much weight of fuel, which will fail when the tank is half full. Also, do not install a filter at the tank, rely on that in the float control.

Thanks Ex Brummie (I am also an ex-Brummie - Knowle and Solihull, if that counts!)

So, are you saying that all I need to do is attach a pipe? How would I get the flow started? Sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot...

13 hours ago, AdamG said:

Thanks Ex Brummie (I am also an ex-Brummie - Knowle and Solihull, if that counts!)

So, are you saying that all I need to do is attach a pipe? How would I get the flow started? Sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot...

Fit a tap to the below the level of the tank, extend from this to the float control. Undo the float control connection and push a suitably sized plastic tube over the end. Suck on this until you see oil. You can then close the tap, remove the tube and reconnect to the valve. Upon untripping the float control, the flow should fill up the float control. I have installed a 'T'  in the pipework with the offset leg capped off to enable a syphon to be re-established.

If you want to fit a dedicated tank for the stove, you should be aware that to fit one larger than 27l is not a trivial task.

This tank has to have a vent pipe and flame arrester - just like a main tank.  Because it has to be filled inside the boat, it needs a means of diverting spillages overboard - again just as you would have with a main tank.  For this reason I fill mine directly from the main diesel tank and have an enclosed feed and overflow system.  The diesel is pumped up into the auxiliary tank via a semi rotary pump, thence to the stove by gravity.  I rely on the inbuilt filter in the Refleks since this traps any gunge and is easy to clean.

P1230604.jpg.e930a3598fc613185fba89c0c669a18c.jpg

P1230602.jpg.2e613681a22fbb162d6d2fc7dcda710b.jpg

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

P1230602.jpg.2e613681a22fbb162d6d2fc7dcda710b.jpg

Jim I'm impressed the gland nut on the spindle of that semi-rotary pump isn't leaking. Both of mine still do no matter how much I tighten them. I have little buckets (about half a litre) hanging on each of mine to catch the slight dripping. The buckets need emptying about once a year. 

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Jim I'm impressed the gland nut on the spindle of that semi-rotary pump isn't leaking. Both of mine still do no matter how much I tighten them. I have little buckets (about half a litre) hanging on each of mine to catch the slight dripping. The buckets need emptying about once a year. 

The pump I had on Owl did leak, just like you say.  However, I have been lucky with this one on Hampton.  The one on Owl was an expensive version; the one on Hampton is a cheapo from Ebay.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Jim I'm impressed the gland nut on the spindle of that semi-rotary pump isn't leaking. Both of mine still do no matter how much I tighten them.

See if you can find a decent plumber... ;)