Avon down and up the Severn route,

Terryb

Featured Posts

Apologies if I've duplicated this.

I could do with some advice from experienced travellers. ( Alan, Nick etc) I am at the moment awating the flow to drop at Pershore. The flow through the bridges is frightening the hell out of me. Being moored at the rec near Asda, my only choice is to walk half an hour down the high st across the bridge and along the east bank to where I can, through binoculars, see the board markings. (even at green, the flow is dangerous)

It seems to me that the water above the Pershore lock is being held back to give weight and power to the new Hydro Electricity Generating point at the weir.

This then, is creating an artificial fast flow. If you are aproaching from up stream, you arrive at the bridge around a near 90 degree bend to be faced with no alternative but to be inside the bend where the current is dragging you to the off side. It all seems so Bl**dy scary.

That is my dilema at this time. Yet all the way, I have been worrying about going UP the Severn as I have heard THAT is my problem not the Avon. ???

Help and advice please.

post-10259-0-04881500-1487587365_thumb.jpg

post-10259-0-26359200-1487587478_thumb.jpg

post-10259-0-10071000-1487587529_thumb.jpg

I was always told down the Severn and up the Avon not a lot of use to you now.

ETA Its not a problem going up the Severn we easily did it against 2ft of fresh coming down in a 33ft NB with only a 2cyl Nanni 10.

Did get a telling off from lock keeper at Stourport

Edited by Loddon

The one piece of advice I'd give is not to be frightened of using plenty of throttle, even when you're going downstream. You may seem to be going really fast (you can slow down on the clear, straight bits) but when it gets awkward, especially through a bridge, it is worth using as much power as you can to give you plenty of steerage way and a rapid response from the boat together with getting you into calmer waters as quickly as possible.

YesLoddon I know, but it didn't fit in with my plans. In retrospect id have missed out the rivers and stayed on the BCN and come down the Tardebigge flight then up to the Shropshire that way.

And Alan, I'm sure you know best, but I kind of come downstream leaving a plenty in reserve for emergency. It all depends on how little I need to steer with that sets my throttle on the easy bits . I did have a moment at Stratford, but my technique worked ok then.

Im just more concerned with the right hand bend just before leaving me no room for error in lining up the hole.

Having said all that, ive visited again today and it looks better, dare I say it, do able. We'll see, tomorrow, I go.

Thank you.

The Avon is quite quick at rising and falling, after a couple of days of no rain you may find the flow will reduce. As Allan suggested be prepared to use more revs to give yourself steerage and don't bottle out. Keep an eye on the water to get an indication of the flow. Last time I went through those bridges was summertime and I don't recall it being a particularly fast flowing area.

You probably won't want to go down the Nene through the bridges at Irthlingbrough then.

This is the approach, and you are aiming for the span of the new bridge arrowed:

post-7909-0-56967100-1487613367_thumb.jpg

And then for the arrowed arch under the old bridge. You can see from the line of the cabin top bottom left that we have only just started the turn under the first bridge. And the river was in flood when we did this (in 2007):

post-7909-0-10264200-1487613453_thumb.jpg

The lock at Pershore is quite deep which is presumably why it has the hydo scheme on it, so I would say it always looks like a lot of water and is quite intimidating, it intimidates me anyway.

The two bridges at Pershore are not nice as they do not line up, and I think to you are wise to be treating them with caution going downstream with a good flow on. I don't have any good advise except to wait and let the flow die down at bit ,and then have plenty of power on as you go through the old upstream bridge so you can keep it in the centre of the navigable arch and can correct your direction as you come out for the "new" bridge.

Good luck!

Cheers guys, I'm through without hicup. Moored now at Eckington bridge, will get off the Avon tomorrow. Any advice on moving up the Severn now needed. Come on Matty, I know you've done this too. :boat:

In winter the Severn locks operate on limited number of days only and must be booked 24hrs in advance. Ring Gloucester Lock for bookings.

Upton is worth a visit if you have time.

Do it before Thursday!!!!!!

It may not be possible to get off the Severn by Thursday if it isn't already planned. Looking at the weather for Wednesday and Thursday there could be a bit of a wait.

I am not sure about the 'down the Severn and up the Avon' advice. For a single hander going down the Avon avoids the effects of the ferocious gate paddles. Going up the Severn shouldn't be a concern providing the conditions are suitable. Also going down the Avon is a longer stretch than going up the Severn so is going mostly with the flow. Again OK if conditions are suitable. Not really a place to go tootling in winter months though if you don't want to get stuck although it has been a fairly dry winter in Worcestershire.

If not already aware Terry should also note navigation notice for Tewkesbury reach which is at a low level due to work on Abbey Mill sluice.

I saw Alfie moored at Cambrian Wharf and at Gas Street at different times over the winter. Should definitely have stayed on the BCN!

JP

Thanks for replies I'm aware of the weather reports and will be prepared to hang around a bit. And yes Doris is on the way too. As for staying on the BCN nah been there for 2 months got bored.

Besides I want to make Llangollen before end of March.