Water in bilge.

fudd

Featured Posts

The cabin bilge is totally separate from the engine bilge. It's not slower with a full tank.

It seems to me that taking this post with nos. 21 and 26, the answer must be that you are imagining the water in your bilge. You have ruled out any possible cause of the problem you first asked about.

Frank.

It could be a case of sleep walking and having a wee somewhere, like in the lounge, going back to bed and waking next day knowing nothing about it. My sister caught my nephew doing this on the landing when he was little. She led him back to bed, he new nothing at all about it next day. I suppose its better than wetting the bed though.

Edited by bizzard

Well it must be condensation. I'm just surprised how much there is.

Thank you.

I'm skeptical: 2 litres sounds like a lot of condensation, and many others would have the same issue if it was that. Just because you haven't found a leak yet doesn't mean there isn't one.

Have you tried placing a sheet of kitchen paper under all fluid system joints, valves and fittings? Leak water might well be running away from the source leaving little trace whereas the smallest drip leaves a damp stain on kitchen paper.

I'd start at all those potentially leaky bits of the fresh water pumping system up forward - tank valve, strainer, pump, accumulator and associated joints, where a mix of pump vibration and rigid pipework can often be problematic. Also get some sheets under all taps and drains, including the toilet system. You might rule out your engine cooling or heating systems if they aren't needing to be topped up.

Good luck in your quest!

We keep our hopper windows open - all of them. When drying clothes we light the stove in the boatman's cabin. The stove in the saloon is on almost 24/7 in the cold winter and we get no condensation (apart from on the window frames at night). Are you using a stove? We also have the mushroom vents well open.

• 2 months later...

Morning. I think I've found the problem. The stainless water tank could have a leak. Is there any way of lining it?  There's an inspection hatch with reasonable access. I think it would be a bit of a mare to replace it. 

1 minute ago, fudd said:

Morning. I think I've found the problem. The stainless water tank could have a leak. Is there any way of lining it?  There's an inspection hatch with reasonable access. I think it would be a bit of a mare to replace it. 

Is the leaky bit accessible? I'm wondering if it could be patched. 

1 hour ago, fudd said:

Is your stainless tank insulated? If not they have a huge capacity to generate condensation.