Bollington Wharf under new ownership

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

I know the place well, bought my boat from there, from the previous owner.

I don' think Martin, the previous owner, sold much diesel etc. to passing boaters because the frontage was always full, taken up by the day boats. OK you could breast up but many don't like to do this. I'm guessing that will be sorted out?

Also is Pete, the ex engineer bloke who lives there, still available to do little jobs in the workshop?

I know the place well, bought my boat from there, from the previous owner.

I don' think Martin, the previous owner, sold much diesel etc. to passing boaters because the frontage was always full, taken up by the day boats. OK you could breast up but many don't like to do this. I'm guessing that will be sorted out?

Also is Pete, the ex engineer bloke who lives there, still available to do little jobs in the workshop?

Yes, that issue with access to the diesel/pumpout mooring has been mentioned to us and we make sure there's always somewhere to tie up unless we are loading the coal boats there.

I'll ask about Pete, the name doesn't ring a bell but I'm still getting to know everyone as I don't live there myself yet. We can definitely do the majority of little jobs in the workshop ourselves if you have anything in mind.

i thought there were 6 owners with brian and ann as senior partners?

Yes that post on FB was correct, the 6th person is not on here so didnt get mentioned as no one would know her! Still offering signwriting here at the wharf, but she can come to our boat to paint just as easy as your boat coming here for her to paint! ...but then is a lovely canal so why not take the opertunity to travel along it ;-)

You can wind a 71'6" GU motor there.

Ask again in June and I'll tell you whether you can wind a 72' Severner :)

Winded here often are loaded GU towns, a unloaded GU star and a unloaded GU star butty ...all with fenders on... surly that must make them 72' long or longer?!? ;-p Edited by Jay4424

Yes that post on FB was correct, the 6th person is not on here so didnt get mentioned as no one would know her! Still offering signwriting here at the wharf, but she can come to our boat to paint just as easy as your boat coming here for her to paint! ...but then is a lovely canal so why not take the opertunity to travel along it ;-)

Winded here often are loaded GU towns, a unloaded GU star and a unloaded GU star butty ...all with fenders on... surly that must make them 72' long or longer?!? ;-p

i have been on the macc a few times it is a lovely canal :)

Winded here often are loaded GU towns, a unloaded GU star and a unloaded GU star butty ...all with fenders on... surly that must make them 72' long or longer?!? ;-p

Yep, but it's not so much about length above the water as length beneath. The shape of a Severner fore-end is very bluff and vertical underwater which means we can't turn in places where GU boats and Joshers can. Top of the Cannock extension is one.

Edited by Black Ibis

Good news for boaters on the Macc and beyond. The wharf has been a little tired of late and fresh blood, some young and older (Brian!) should make this a roaring success. Good Luck to all.

Wishing the team every success with this cheers.gif

As fellow 'youngsters' who have recently taken over another boatyard, We wish you all the best and look forward to working alongside you all. Not too close though. You understand! smile.png

Dan

Congratulations on your new venture.

I will try to pop in when we are up that way.

Great news. Wish I'd known a month or so ago!

Thank you all for your good wishes! Look forward to seeing you at the wharf in the future!

• 2 weeks later...

Like everyone else says "welcome aboard!".

Do you know if there are any plans to dredge the wharf area? Many of the boats have not moved for some time and last time I returned to my mooring there I had to use nearly full reverse throttle to get anywhere near the edge with the bottom trying to stick in the mud. The water didn't seem particularly low and my boat isn't particularly deep drafted. I worry that if I fill up with water I might not be able to get out again. Has anybody else had this problem?

2 hours ago, Caldinarod said:

Like everyone else says "welcome aboard!".

Do you know if there are any plans to dredge the wharf area? Many of the boats have not moved for some time and last time I returned to my mooring there I had to use nearly full reverse throttle to get anywhere near the edge with the bottom trying to stick in the mud. The water didn't seem particularly low and my boat isn't particularly deep drafted. I worry that if I fill up with water I might not be able to get out again. Has anybody else had this problem?

Don't worry about it.  Just get in as close as you can.  Within days, the movement of passing boats will have caused your boat to self dredge its own space and then you will be able to tighten your lines.  Same goes with increasing your depth by adding water or ballast unless, of course, you way overdo it and find bedrock beneath the soft mud!

George ex nb Alton retired

13 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Don't worry about it.  Just get in as close as you can.  Within days, the movement of passing boats will have caused your boat to self dredge its own space and then you will be able to tighten your lines.  Same goes with increasing your depth by adding water or ballast unless, of course, you way overdo it and find bedrock beneath the soft mud!

George ex nb Alton retired

That may well be true of the parking space but there seems to be a build up of silt forming a bank along side the moored boats which I only just managed to get through. In 5 years plus of mooring here, I've never had any trouble coming and going before. There is no worry about bed rock,- on occasion when I've been in wearing chest waders to work on the rudder I found up to a foot of v. soft mud under the boats before reaching anything firm.

• 1 year later...

Very pleased with the service we have just had from Bollington Wharf where James fitted a new gearbox coupling for us.  At the same time, we had our rusty integral water tank cleaned out and blacked, for what we thought was a reasonable price for such a horrible job.  

All was done when they said it would be, and Amy kept us updated by email.  We will definitely be using them again (hopefully not too soon!).