Carry on Barging

max's son

Featured Posts

What a terrible programme!! I successfully managed to miss the first one.....I'm regretting not missing this one....

What happened to making good factual television?

If it was that bad you could have switched it off. I bet you watched the whole programme. Programmes like this are made for the masses and not for boating experts like your good self.

If it was that bad you could have switched it off. I bet you watched the whole programme. Programmes like this are made for the masses and not for boating experts like your good self.

Watched about 20 minutes and gave up.....not all of us are slaves to so called celebrity culture

We have been pleasantly surprised that we are enjoying the series. The boaters seem to be genuinely interested in learning how to navigate the canals. Nigel face is a picture of pleasure and concentration at times when tackling tricky sections. Also glad that they are cooking up something more than sausages.. have given up trying to convince some of our non boating friends that we can and do eat as well on the boat as we do when on land.

Ian.

Watched about 20 minutes and gave up.....not all of us are slaves to so called celebrity culture

With respect, I think as you have only watched 20 minutes out of the 120 minutes so far shown you are not in a position to make a fair judgement . I suggest you watch the whole series, then make a balanced assessment, that's what I will be doing.

• Greenie 1

Also, with respect, the producers won't give a stuff what some boaters think about it - they're not the target market.

When I edited 'The Boat That Guy Built' many boaters slagged it off but the producers couldn't have cared less because it was a very popular programme with the masses.

Why? Moroccan food is lovely smile.png

Yes indeed. I am fond of a good cous-cous in the right location. But onboard dinner, after an energetic day in the open air, should be good, hearty fuel fare such as sausages, curry or stew, not tarted-up bloody monkfish. Perhaps it was chosen by the programme director to reinforce Callow's posey, whoops I mean thespian, image. I mean, he didn't even serve chips with it. Edited by Athy

Yes indeed. I am fond of a good cous-cous in the right location. But onboard dinner, after an energetic day in the open air, should be good, hearty fuel fare such as sausages, curry or stew, not tarted-up bloody monkfish. Perhaps it was chosen by the programme director to reinforce Callow's posey, whoops I mean thespian, image. I mean, he didn't even serve chips with it.

Was a stew really...chips really?

Ian.

Well I am enjoying it. It is easy to watch entertainment. Ok, some of the situations are contrived, just like most reality shows, but it is enjoyable none the less. I make the wife watch it in the hope that she may change her mind about boating and fancy having a go.

• Greenie 1

With respect, I think as you have only watched 20 minutes out of the 120 minutes so far shown you are not in a position to make a fair judgement . I suggest you watch the whole series, then make a balanced assessment, that's what I will be doing.

Good for you. I have better things to do with my time such as brass to polish or a life to lead

Yes indeed. I am fond of a good cous-cous in the right location. But onboard dinner, after an energetic day in the open air, should be good, hearty fuel fare such as sausages, curry or stew, not tarted-up bloody monkfish. Perhaps it was chosen by the programme director to reinforce Callow's posey, whoops I mean thespian, image. I mean, he didn't even serve chips with it.

GOOD cous-cous ohmy.png that is simply wrong!! cool.png

Never done the K&A,judging from a lot of the background shots it looks like mostly continuous linear moorings...are there any open views left?

I have done the K and A many times. I had a mooring down there about 25ish years ago and have not been down probably now for over ten years. The section thus far shown on the programme from Bath to devizes used to have about 20/30 boats on it including the long term on line moorings. We used to moor at the George at Bathampton when I ran the pub in Batheaston two miles away. We would go up to bath for fuel and turn and go to Bradford on avon for a few beers and go over a mile between boats!! What a sad site it now appears to be. There were always boats in the various marinas along the length but nowt like all those cmers er sorry ccers seen in the programme.

. I believe this boat is Aster, Josher built in 1932.

Intresting that will make here the oldest wooden josher still about i beleive only other contester would be beech, nice to know there is still a few about as except for the tco boats this makes 4 still about clee, clent, beech and this one. Others may know of more but i thought there were only a handfull.

I did an historical review of the length of inland waterway for BW in 2000. It does depend upon what you call a navigable waterway, but my figures suggested that the maximum length was 4372.375 miles in 1849.

By all account the K&A ain't wot it used to be. Twelve years since we ventured along its length.

Maybe next year.

I have,so far enjoyed this programme. Yes there are discrepancies us knowledgable boaters,but in the whole enjoyable. Waiting for the Llangollen episodes as that is on our menu after Chester and Ellmesmere Port.

Tim Lewis, on 16 Feb 2017 - 8:45 PM, said:snapback.png

4700 miles according to an IWA excercise:

https://www.waterway..._britain_100516

Tim

Pluto said:

I did an historical review of the length of inland waterway for BW in 2000. It does depend upon what you call a navigable waterway, but my figures suggested that the maximum length was 4372.375 miles in 1849.

To help clarify this, that IWA list includes Scotland too, and their totals are 4701 miles of navigable waterways and 1807 miles of non-navigable. The IWA list does look pretty comprehensive, including what looks to me like every little isolated bit of navigable river, and perhaps Pluto's review had a different remit? At the maximum length, and I can easily believe that could have been around 1849, there would have been some canals already closed (e.g. Croydon) and some yet to be opened (the Manchester Ship Canal), and was Pluto asked to include Scotland and all the isolated waterways?

The IWA list includes estuary waters right down to the sea, which the average canal boater might not regard as inland, e.g. the Thames out to Shoeburyness.

The IWA list even includes the River Wandle up to Wallington in the "non-navigable" column, which I'm pretty sure was never navigable by anything much bigger than a canoe!

• 5 months later...
On 18/02/2017 at 17:47, Athy said:

Yes indeed. I am fond of a good cous-cous in the right location. But onboard dinner, after an energetic day in the open air, should be good, hearty fuel fare such as sausages..

I never have cous cous without a few merguez chucked on top although they are tricky to get over here (though I have managed to source some with the right flavour but still the wrong texture).