Useful design features for a cross beds and Pulman dinettes

embis

Featured Posts

We are planning to fit a crossbed and a Pulman Dinette to our narrowboat. There are many different designs and features out there. What are the most useful features that you have come across?

Any photographs to illustrate would be very helpful.

We have a cross-bed on Trojan. It has a mattress which hinges two thirds/ one third so that you can get past it during the day by folding the one-third upwards, without needing to unmake the bed. It was supplied by Edwardian Bedding.

We are planning to fit a crossbed and a Pulman Dinette to our narrowboat. There are many different designs and features out there. What are the most useful features that you have come across?

Any photographs to illustrate would be very helpful.

A bed on the boats roof?

• WHITEFIELD---00157.jpg

Or a trifle more sensible.WHITEFIELD---00386.jpg

Lots of pictures of "something different" here: http://www.fernwooddesigns.co.uk/gallery3.aspx

Edited by Ray T

I`m fitting one of these the horizontal one in my sailaway along with my own design dinette. Helps that

I`ve got my own workshop though. Saves me money and lets me play with ideas as I go along. Just hope it all looks good when I`ve finished. I`ve even just started veneering. Enjoying it all but think my plans

to be afloat early Spring is very very optimistic.

http://www.hideaway.co.uk/

We have a cross bed on ours 2/3 1/3. Two slatted rails pull out and lay on top of a rail on the opposite side. Four drawers underneath with the calorifier so nice and warm in winter and bone dry. In the day time we just push the slats back and lift the 1/3 on top of the other then put cover and cushions and so it can still be used if we want, mostly by the dog!! We also have a pullman and the only change I would make is to have a pull out drawer as it seems a waste of space and you can't have too much storage.

For pullmans, we used to make the back support (pic 1) of the seat that backed on to the main seating area, removable/reversable, so that if you wished to seat people more in the saloon, the dinette seat could be included. The back support was simply slid out of channels in the seat structure, and pushed back into more channels on the opposite side of the seat section, so you could then sit with your back to the table, facing the main saloon.(pic 2) The upright could also be left off, if your overnight guests were fairly tall, so there was no "footboard " at the normal 6ft length. With this arrangement, an optional pull out foot rest for anyone with shorter legs, which also allowed storage.(pic 2)

We did some with central drawers under too.(pic 3)

post-6130-0-67101300-1486855252_thumb.jpgpost-6130-0-47482700-1486855263_thumb.jpgpost-6130-0-13230200-1486855274_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ally

For pullmans, we used to make the back support (pic 1) of the seat that backed on to the main seating area, removable/reversable, so that if you wished to seat people more in the saloon, the dinette seat could be included. The back support was simply slid out of channels in the seat structure, and pushed back into more channels on the opposite side of the seat section, so you could then sit with your back to the table, facing the main saloon.(pic 2) The upright could also be left off, if your overnight guests were fairly tall, so there was no "footboard " at the normal 6ft length. With this arrangement, an optional pull out foot rest for anyone with shorter legs, which also allowed storage.(pic 2)

We did some with central drawers under too.(pic 3)

attachicon.gif9376469_orig.jpgattachicon.gif1459703_orig.jpgattachicon.gif8895213_orig.jpg

We have this arrangement on our dinette, although we dont use it it does work well when we tried it out. A previous poster mentions the Edwardian bedding company. Absoultely top class outfit who do exactly what it says on the tin, we had them make us a mattress to our precise measurements last year and its megga comfy and quality.

A previous poster mentions the Edwardian bedding company. Absoultely top class outfit who do exactly what it says on the tin, we had them make us a mattress to our precise measurements last year and its mega comfy and quality.

Yes I did, and I'm pleased to hear that they have at least one other satisfied customer. Our Edwardian mattress has now done eleven years' service and I still get a comfortable night's sleep on it. I don't think it was cheap to buy, but it has justified the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice".

Yes I did, and I'm pleased to hear that they have at least one other satisfied customer. Our Edwardian mattress has now done eleven years' service and I still get a comfortable night's sleep on it. I don't think it was cheap to buy, but it has justified the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice".

Wasnt cheap the mattress was 800 quid but they knocked me 100 off there and then for REAL money. Smashing people at their place in mexborough and I spoke to the bloke who made the mattress he invited us in to the workshop to see how and where they made them. We used them as bro in law had one and after trawling round the usual bed stores such as Bensons etc etc and listening to the usual corporate drivel it wash refreshing to deal with proper folk.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies, The Edwardian Bedding Co is familiar to us as our current mattress and as everyone says, excellent quality. Some good ideas and food for thought, thanks to you all again.