Aquavac request

silverlode

Featured Posts

Hello lovely people, I just wondered if anyone in the Sale - Castlefield area had an Aquavac I could borrow for a day or so? There's water in the engine bay (it's not increasing, I think it's from a particularly bad rainstorm a few weeks ago) and also there's a spot in the bilge. I've yet to find the source of that; possibly from VERY leaky windows.

I always carry a pack of babys nappies for water that I can't get to or get out of certain spaces,

Just open one up, put it in and leave it for a day or so, it always works for me.

Brilliant idea, thank you!!

What's wrong with just using a mop and bucket for the engine bay, you should get most of it out and fairly dry with one? Then just run the engine to get some heat in there to finally dry

Nothing wrong with it.. just less time consuming with an Aquavac. Edited by silverlode

It would take 5 minutes

In that case, anyone nearby have a mop and bucket I could borrow? I can't afford to buy one at the moment.

There shouldn't BE a bilge puimp in the engine bay, should there?

A BSS fail, I think...

? Edited by silverlode

In that case, anyone nearby have a mop and bucket I could borrow? I can't afford to buy one at the moment.

?

Engine bay water is sometimes contaminated with oil/antifreeze/etc that shouldn't be pumped out into the cut.

I'm fairly sure there is a provision in the BSS banning engine bay bilge pumps.

There shouldn't BE a bilge puimp in the engine bay, should there?

A BSS fail, I think...

Then you're wrong ! Every boat with a rear engine will have a bilge pump under the stern tube which is in the engine bay. Some means of catching any oil / coolant leaks is normally provided.

Engine bay water is sometimes contaminated with oil/antifreeze/etc that shouldn't be pumped out into the cut.

Ah, I see - well maybe it's just for emergencies? My boat passed its BSS, so not sure about that.

Wrong again! BSS regs. Chapter 9 30 & 31 & pages 1-6 refers. Nowhere does it say you can't have a bilge pump in the engine room & certainly no use of the word banned.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf

Edited by Flyboy

Then you're wrong ! Every boat with a rear engine will have a bilge pump under the stern tube which is in the engine bay. Some means of catching any oil / coolant leaks is normally provided.

I know that my boat wouldn't be standing (floating?!) if it weren't for the engine bay bilge pump - canal water isn't the problem; rain is the bane of my life!!

Sorted my leaky windows, just need to save up for a cover for the stern...

I think you will confuse her now as most people have their bilge pumps under their stern gland and people class the whole area as engine bay. You can't have a bilge pump under the engine in the oil trap area which should be a sealed area.

BSS 2015 Third edition page 64, Bilge pumps and contamination.

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 2

I think you will confuse her now as most people have their bilge pumps under their stern gland and people class the whole area as engine bay. You can't have a bilge pump under the engine in the oil trap area which should be a sealed area.

Yes, I should've specified it was under the stern gland.

Try the pound shop for puppy training pads I find them better than nappies . Rubber gloves and a sponge, then just lay one down for a couple of minutes . Presto.

Will do that, thank you! Edited by silverlode

BSS 2015 Third edition page 64, Bilge pumps and contamination.

Well actually you can have a bilge pump under the engine if the oil drips can't be contained (one of my boats can't), the pump needs to go via a filter. Edited by Robbo

Well actually you can have a bilge pump under the engine if the oil drips can't be contained (one of my boats can't), the pump needs to go via a filter.

Yes and all the requirements are in the BSS 3rd Edition 2015 section 9.1.2 Bilge pumping and avoiding pollution, If anyone wants to read it.

But the OP is not interested in that, she just wants to get some water out of her engine bay so why confuse matters?

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 1

Yes and all the requirements are in the BSS 3rd Edition 2015 section 9.1.2 Bilge pumping and avoiding pollution, If anyone wants to read it.

But the OP is not interested in that, she just wants to get some water out of her engine bay so why confuse matters?

Because what you said was wrong and you even pointed to a document showing you were incorrect!

• Greenie 1

Because what you said was wrong and you even pointed to a document showing you were incorrect!

Was I? If I was that bothered about it I would of mentioned the filter and all the requirements about pumps and filters. As I said the OP is on about getting rid of water, not all the requirements about bilge pump fitting in a engine bay or oil trap.

If your that bothered about it go and start a thread in the relevant section and tell everyone you have a bilge pump and a filter in your sealed oil trap because you have a oil leak.

Edited by Northernboater

Was I? If I was that bothered about it I would of mentioned the filter and all the requirements. As I said the OP is on about getting rid of water not all the requirements about bilge pump fitting in a oil trap. If your that bothered about it go and start a thread in the relevant section and tell everyone you have a bilge pump in your sealed oil trap because you have a oil leak.

You were the one that brought it up! And I don't have a sealed oil area or a leak, I have a bilge pump for the engine bay. The engine doesn't have a sealed area for oil leaks it goes into the engine bay along with the stern gland drips and rain, etc.

You were the one that brought it up! And I don't have a sealed oil area or a leak, I have a bilge pump for the engine bay. The engine doesn't have a sealed area for oil leaks it goes into the engine bay along with the stern gland drips and rain, etc.

You may find it was Boilerman that brought it up, saying it was a BSS fail to have a bilge pump in the engine bay but did not mention the sealed engine oil trap, but you and I know it's not if all the correct anti-pollution procedures and filters are in place. You don't have an oil trap so you need the filter system in place. The OP just wants to remove her water and is not interested in bilge pump placement, contamination or PPM filters.

Edited by Northernboater