Eco fan speed

Nev

Featured Posts

It is sometimes a little boring in the evenings. Sitting pondering life I realised I was focussed on my spinning ecofan. I got to thinking how fast it was spinning at the default half a turn top and bottom on the squirrel. Luckily (!) I have a digital photo tachometers - its instruction book title, I brought to establish the rpm of my engine at set wheel turns..... anyhow the answer is.....

550 rpm

33,000 revs per hour

792,000 per 24 hour

5,544,000 per week

From Nov to March - 22 weeks means my fan will have spun circa

Just short of 122 million revolutions

Not sure if that is impressive but I'm off to bed now !

hey nev ..not a lot of people knew that ....i bet you have some great nights onboard ...got me thinking anyway .as i look at my eco fan

.....its a rock and roll lifestyle !!

Don't spend too much time watching the fan, but it does save the batteries from running the TV !!

I('ve tried to get my fan to visually stop by strobing it with my fingers (waves hand with fingers spaced out up and down in front of face). From this I had an idea of the speed at a few hundred rpm. Not really very accurate!

I('ve tried to get my fan to visually stop by strobing it with my fingers (waves hand with fingers spaced out up and down in front of face). From this I had an idea of the speed at a few hundred rpm. Not really very accurate!

Did you allow for the blade passing frequency and the number of blades, though?

I'm glad the OP found a use for his Ecofan, because it wasn't really doing anything else!

Having read this thread I feel I must meantion ELF and SAFETY.....

Do not try this at home.............

There is a danger of serious burns occuring due to the immense heat blown around or even directly at you from the fan such is their efficiency.

• Greenie 2

You need to take another measurement to give it authenticity. The fan speed varies with the strength of current, so you need to measure the temperature of the top of your stove. You could produce a hysteresis (?) to show the relationship of the three values.

Having read this thread I feel I must meantion ELF and SAFETY.....

Do not try this at home.............

There is a danger of serious burns occuring due to the immense heat blown around or even directly at you from the fan such is their efficiency.

Am I sensing another polarity item aboard a Narrowboat, those pro and against the eco fan ?

You need to take another measurement to give it authenticity. The fan speed varies with the strength of current, so you need to measure the temperature of the top of your stove. You could produce a hysteresis (?) to show the relationship of the three values.

I'd like to say I understand this but I have another challenging evening aboard Percy. I have noted through intense chomping of my box of 460g Maynards Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts there is a imbalance in favour of the oversweet round jobbies with a bit of Liquorice in the middle. I fear I may have to buy another box and carry out a pre chomp count of the various 'Allsorts'

Am I sensing another polarity item aboard a Narrowboat, those pro and against the eco fan ?

Yes. There are boaters who don't understand the purpose of an Ecofan, and those who do.

Those who don't understand assume it is for blowing warm air around.

Absolutely. There are some who believe that they distribute the hot air.

There are then the others who don't own one.

Presently Nightwatch slopes towards the stern, this is not all the unique.

So, like Nev, I also have been thinking.

Convection. To allow for better distribution of warm air from the fire at the front end to the back, bow and stern, I need to install very large water tanks that can flood and change the bias. Then I thought a little more. As we go to bed, we could fill the whole of the saloon, already watersealed, with water tight doors from a scrapped frigate or simIlar, that would do it. I did identify one problem, the fire will go out!!!

Presently Nightwatch slopes towards the stern, this is not all the unique.

So, like Nev, I also have been thinking.

Convection. To allow for better distribution of warm air from the fire at the front end to the back, bow and stern, I need to install very large water tanks that can flood and change the bias. Then I thought a little more. As we go to bed, we could fill the whole of the saloon, already watersealed, with water tight doors from a scrapped frigate or simIlar, that would do it. I did identify one problem, the fire will go out!!!

Just have one of those very large poo collectors fitted, might do the same thing !

It is sometimes a little boring in the evenings. Sitting pondering life I realised I was focussed on my spinning ecofan. I got to thinking how fast it was spinning at the default half a turn top and bottom on the squirrel. Luckily (!) I have a digital photo tachometers - its instruction book title, I brought to establish the rpm of my engine at set wheel turns..... anyhow the answer is.....

550 rpm

33,000 revs per hour

792,000 per 24 hour

5,544,000 per week

From Nov to March - 22 weeks means my fan will have spun circa

Just short of 122 million revolutions

Not sure if that is impressive but I'm off to bed now !

Dear Nev......I can lend you a book,,,,,Its called war n summit ?

Good stuff - is that the sequel to War n piece I read the other night ?

Yep thats it. What else did you read that night ?

I read that lord of the rings whilst having my tea yesterday....some bloke lost his ring and these kids found it and then chucked away again.