The day after tomorrow

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Watched the film the other night, sat thinking about how mad it would be for the temperature to drop so quickly.

Got up this morning and the boat was cold, checked the weather yesterday afternoon and it didn't show it as cold as it was this morning, then looked at tomorrow and its saying -11 tomorrow night!

Hopefully it's wrong, but just in case I'm gonna build the fire right up before I go to bed.

Stay safe!

Watched the film the other night, sat thinking about how mad it would be for the temperature to drop so quickly.

Got up this morning and the boat was cold, checked the weather yesterday afternoon and it didn't show it as cold as it was this morning, then looked at tomorrow and its saying -11 tomorrow night!

Hopefully it's wrong, but just in case I'm gonna build the fire right up before I go to bed.

Stay safe!

You sure it wasn't just ➖ 1? My weather forecast shows nothing any colder than ➖ 2 in the next ten days. Indeed by weekend it's plus 10...summer is coming.

Ian.

We had -20 in the daytime here a few years back (in the wilds of lincolnshire), what hurt was that it coincided with no heating as we were adding a big external water boiler.

at -20 one gas blowtorch is not enough heat to properly solder 1" copper pipe (it takes 2) so there was me and the other half each with a blowtorch soldering each joint in 2 runs of copper, thanks to all the twists and turns needed it worked out at well over 100 joints (£1000 in copper alone)

We had -20 in the daytime here a few years back (in the wilds of lincolnshire), what hurt was that it coincided with no heating as we were adding a big external water boiler.

at -20 one gas blowtorch is not enough heat to properly solder 1" copper pipe (it takes 2) so there was me and the other half each with a blowtorch soldering each joint in 2 runs of copper, thanks to all the twists and turns needed it worked out at well over 100 joints (£1000 in copper alone)

2010?

We were on the boat, completely frozen in for about 12 weeks.

Whilst it was cold outside we were toasty warm inside with the diesel heating on.

2010?

We were on the boat, completely frozen in for about 12 weeks.

Whilst it was cold outside we were toasty warm inside with the diesel heating on.

yeap... 2010, where my transport options were a transit van that couldn't get up the driveway in ice or a rangerover that could go anywhere but had no heater.

we had been trying to get the boiler professionally plumbed in since the spring and with 6 plumbers looking we had had 1 quote of £7000 1 quote of £5000 (but you must have this fancy control system which costs £3000 to switch between the wood burner and the oil boiler), the other 4 didn't even bother quoting.

in the previous winter the oil heating went through £4000 worth of oil just to keep the house at 18 degrees so when we reached the cold weather again we just plumbed it in ourselves, we now burn £5 worth of chipboard a week in winter to comfortably heat the house and a 40' x 20' uninsulated workshop.

This was Christmas 2010 down south. I don't remember it being that bad.

Perhaps it was warmer down south.

On several occasions during the 12 weeks we were frozen in we saw the thermometer drop to -19 degrees overnight.

Daytime temperatures stayed well into minus figures also.

Perhaps it was warmer down south.

On several occasions during the 12 weeks we were frozen in we saw the thermometer drop to -19 degrees overnight.

Daytime temperatures stayed well into minus figures also.

it usually is warmer further south in the uk (from memory the average is around 3 degrees warmer for similar locations)

if you start comparing urban temps in the south to rural temps here in lincolnshire you could probably add another 8-10 degrees of difference.

so NC's -19 measurement probably equates to a -6 measurement in central london

I soon got fed up with that film. The visual effects were overdone, the science was pisspoor, and the usual USA emphasis was just sickening in the light of current events.

Which current events? Potential withdrawal of funding for climate science in the US? I know that was one of Pres. Chump's proposals a week or so ago but has it actually happened yet? You must have either watched the movie within the last week or you're feeling sickened in retrospect.

Personally I don't see any problem with US films having a US emphasis. Most UK films are just as culturally and geographically parochial.

Edited by blackrose

Which current events? Potential withdrawal of funding for climate science in the US? I know that was one of Pres. Chump's proposals a week or so ago but has it actually happened yet? You must have either watched the movie within the last week or you're feeling sickened in retrospect.

Personally I don't see any problem with US films having a US emphasis. Most UK films are just as culturally and geographically parochial.

I think the film was back on the tv last week