Six full traction batteries on Ebay

MtB

Featured Posts

Interesting deal but the difficult bit is knowing true health of em

Yes. A bit of interrogation of the seller should help anyone interested gain an impression.

ANyone know what capacity they wouldb be and the price of a new set for comparison?

(From the comments of others, it is pretty difficult to wreck full tractions.)

Yes. A bit of interrogation of the seller should help anyone interested gain an impression.

ANyone know what capacity they wouldb be and the price of a new set for comparison?

(From the comments of others, it is pretty difficult to wreck full tractions.)

It does state 800 A.H. in the advert

'Good capacity left' is just a little ambiguous

CT

A cell will cost around £ 450 each plus carriage and vat

This will not included inter connecting cables

Keith

Dont know where you are buying them from but I have bought 3 sets for £600 each we have have a big place at Hellerby that we use

£600 for the last set I bought Mike with connections, bolts, tails and watering kit with 5 year warranty

That certainly makes the £350 for six bare cells of uncertain history seem a risk!

When you say 'a set', you mean 6 x 2v 800AH cells presumably, or were yours smaller?

A cell will cost around £ 450 each plus carriage and vat

This will not included inter connecting cables

Keith

My price is for one 2-volt Gel Cells at 800 Amp hours which I believe to be the same as in the original image.

Keith

My price is for one 2-volt Gel Cells at 800 Amp hours which I believe to be the same as in the original image.

Keith

That's interesting. Looks like we are in for a lesson in types of full traction batteries now. I didn't realise gel cell tractions were made.

Why is there a cap on each of those in the photo if they are gell cells, please? Can a gel electrolyte cell still be topped up in some way (unlike a gel leisure battery) or does the term 'gel' refer to something else?

That's interesting. Looks like we are in for a lesson in types of full traction batteries now. I didn't realise gel cell tractions were made.

Why is there a cap on each of those in the photo if they are gell cells, please? Can a gel electrolyte cell still be topped up in some way (unlike a gel leisure battery) or does the term 'gel' refer to something else?

Intrigued me too.

Apparently gel traction batteries are available, see here,

http://thebatterygroup.co.uk/new-industrial-forklift-traction-and-monobloc-batteries/traction-batteries-gel.html,

but these don't have removable caps for topping up.

Edited by cuthound

I have worked with some gel cell which had a visual inspection plug between the two poles has in the original image, this is why I believed them to be Gel Cells, I may be wrong.

Mike you can also have 2-volt AGM, lead Crystal cells

Keith

Intrigued me too.

Apparently gel traction batteries are available, see here,

http://thebatterygroup.co.uk/new-industrial-forklift-traction-and-monobloc-batteries/traction-batteries-gel.html,

but these don't have removable caps for topping up.

If you look at the cells page of the web site it shows some 2-volt cells with may be a removeable plug?

Keith

I have worked with some gel cell which had a visual inspection plug between the two poles has in the original image, this is why I believed them to be Gel Cells, I may be wrong.

Mike you can also have 2-volt AGM, lead Crystal cells

Keith

If you look at the cells page of the web site it shows some 2-volt cells with may be a removeable plug?

Keith

Surely there is nothing you can do to a gel cell when you have inspected it. The gel is thixotropic sulphuric acid.

Edited to put my text at the bottom instead of in the middle of Keith's post.

Edited by cuthound

Surely there is nothing you can do to a gel cell when you have inspected it. The gel is thixotropic sulphuric acid.

Edited to put my text at the bottom instead of in the middle of Keith's post.

I have only ever carried out an internal visual inspected the cell

To my knowledge there is no maintenance that could be carried out on a cell

Keith

For our new boat we did look fleetingly at traction batteries but could not really make the case stack up - they certainly are expensive and the benefits are largely outwith a normal cruising envelope.

One mistake with any battery, like leaving a light on, bilge pump running too long, diode failure on the alternator, and not charging the battery ASAP will wreck any battery, the more expensive the battery... the greater the financial loss.

I would rather have three sets of new cheaper batteries and change them more often, different if you are on board all the time though where you can monitor the battery status often.