Replacement cassette toilet options

blackrose

Featured Posts

After 11 years I think my Vacuflush cassette toilet may finally be on the way out. It has a mechanism to prevent the (remote) cassette overfilling which I found had failed this morning - fortunately not too catastrophically.

It might just be a case of replacing seals and internal switches, but I'm wondering what other options are available because after 11 years I don't know how much longer the vacuum pump is going to hold out. Ideally I'd like to use the existing Dometic bowl (picture below), but I doubt that's possible unless anyone knows any different? Or I could just get rid of the whole thing and get a different cassette system. Are there any other cassette toilets with remote cassettes?

Any opinions on good cassette toilets welcomed. (No, I had a pump-out on another boat which I lived with for 3 years and I'm not interested.)

Thanks

post-1046-0-78081800-1485082030_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I've just been on the Thetford website. Why do they all look like they were designed by someone devoid of any aesthetic sensibilities? I know it's just a toilet but isn't there anything less ugly available?

http://www.thetford-europe.com/product-category/toilets/cassette-toilets/

There's got to be something from Dometic that doesn't look like a toilet for the disabled...

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/hygiene-and-sanitation/sanitation/toilets

Edit: I will call Lee Sanitation tomorrow. There's lots of stuff on their website but not enough information and the site is difficult to navigate.

Edited by blackrose

Ive got a Thetford C200 which looks fine in position.... I agree they dont look good in the pictures on the web site. Cassette is under the bowl, and I cant see how it could have a remote option.

Mine would almost have certainly have been fitted from new in 2001. I've replaced the Bowl/Cassette interface seal on the 2 cassettes that came with it, and bought one new cassette so, hopefully, I'll never get caught short with full tanks.

The "full" light works on the newer cassette, but not on the older ones, but it's not rocket science to establish whether they are getting close to full or not. If you dont want to look, the splash or lack of splash gives an indication, but I've never found that a quick glance causes me any issues :)

Ive got a Thetford C200 which looks fine in position....

Is this the one Richard? Assuming the back of the toilet mounts against a bulkhead then how do you remove your cassette? Do you have a hole in the bulkhead and remove it from the other side? I thought these ones were for caravaners and RV owners, and the hole was in the side of the vehicle? On any built in cassette toilet I would need to remove the cassette either from the front or the left hand side (when looking at the toilet) - but I don't have that much clearance on the left.

$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I might install one of these. Let's face it, it's about as attractive as a Thetford! laugh.png

v3-zero-100-doc-m-pack.jpg

If you only want the best, Mike, fit one of these:

http://www.leesan.com/shop/all-toilets/hand-pump-toilets/blakes-victory.aspx

(How much??)

I would consider one of those, but are you sure it discharges into a cassette? It doesn't look like it to me.

We got fed up with the vacuflush so took it out and I nstalled a dometic cassette. Adapted it by plumbing it in and moving the controls to the side. The cassette pulls out, on the side

Thanks. Which model is that?

Cts4110 from memory

So on yours you've swivelled the bowl to the right so that you can empty the cassette from that side. But what did you do with the back of the toilet? Yours must be much lower - or did you just hacksaw it off? tongue.png

CTS_CTW__22710.1382356295.1280.1280.jpg?

I can't be bothered to spend all that money and then have to build a side drawer myself. Anyway, I don't think I have enough space to the side of the toilet to install that model. I'm quite surprised how limited the options are for cassette toilets. Are there no front loading models?

Edited by blackrose

Is this the one Richard? Assuming the back of the toilet mounts against a bulkhead then how do you remove your cassette? Do you have a hole in the bulkhead and remove it from the other side? I thought these ones were for caravaners and RV owners, and the hole was in the side of the vehicle? On any built in cassette toilet I would need to remove the cassette either from the front or the left hand side (when looking at the toilet) - but I don't have that much clearance on the left.

The cassette removes from the rear of the sticking up back bit. The toilet swivels 270 degrees, so the hatch to access the cassette can be left, right, or behind the loo.

After thinking that pump out was the way to go, probably with a cassette loo for back up in case of a full tank, I'm now seriously considering the compost option. I had thought it was all a bit DIY-tongue-and-grooved-box-with-bin-in-affair but it seems they are becoming a bit more mainstream. I'm wondering whether a urine separator can be fitted to regular toilet pan with some serious disc cutter modification to allow a drop through into the collecting bucket below.

http://www.littlehouse.co/shop/

http://www.simploo.co.uk/

The cassette removes from the rear of the sticking up back bit. The toilet swivels 270 degrees, so the hatch to access the cassette can be left, right, or behind the loo.

Yes, I got that bit, but if you look at Richards photo the top of the back part (on the right hand side in his photo) is missing.

After thinking that pump out was the way to go, probably with a cassette loo for back up in case of a full tank, I'm now seriously considering the compost option. I had thought it was all a bit DIY-tongue-and-grooved-box-with-bin-in-affair but it seems they are becoming a bit more mainstream. I'm wondering whether a urine separator can be fitted to regular toilet pan with some serious disc cutter modification to allow a drop through into the collecting bucket below.

http://www.littlehouse.co/shop/

http://www.simploo.co.uk/

I've been thinking about composting too. I just don't like the idea of having to cut another hole on the roof and a permanently operating fan. One of my neighbours has one so I'll ask him if I can have a look.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, I got that bit, but if you look at Richards photo the top of the back part (on the right hand side in his photo) is missing.

If you're not using an integral flush tank but are instead using your main water supply for flushing then there's nothing in that back bit. So my guess is that he simply cut it off. Hopefully he'll be back soon to confirm or otherwise.

If you're not using an integral flush tank but are instead using your main water supply for flushing then there's nothing in that back bit. So my guess is that he simply cut it off. Hopefully he'll be back soon to confirm or otherwise.

I see, so he did hacksaw it off!

I assume it has a NRV or some other method to ensure flush water cannot back up into mains water. I know the water pressure would make that unlikely, but with accumulators, people switching pumps off when they go out and the resulting pressure variations you never know.

Is this the one Richard? Assuming the back of the toilet mounts against a bulkhead then how do you remove your cassette? Do you have a hole in the bulkhead and remove it from the other side? I thouyght these ones were for caravaners and RV owners, and the hole was in the side of the vehicle? ]

That's the one. My cassette is removed via a hole/door in the corridor behind the loo. Works well, but you do need some space behind the bulkhead it's attached to.

I don't see how you can chop the top of the back bit off. It's got the push button flushing switch and the cassette full indicator... I guess you could rewire them?

I don't see how you can chop the top of the back bit off. It's got the push button flushing switch and the cassette full indicator... I guess you could rewire them?

We got fed up with the vacuflush so took it out and I nstalled a dometic cassette. Adapted it by plumbing it in and moving the controls to the side.

That's the one. My cassette is removed via a hole/door in the corridor behind the loo. Works well, but you do need some space behind the bulkhead it's attached to.

Ok, sorry I thought you'd built the side drawer to remove the cassette. Anyway, cassette removal through the bulkhead behind won't work on my boat so it's a non-starter.

II assume it has a NRV or some other method to ensure flush water cannot back up into mains water. I know the water pressure would make that unlikely, but with accumulators, people switching pumps off when they go out and the resulting pressure variations you never know.

The flush is effectively a small nozzle that sits behind the rim. You press the flush button and it opens a valve to allow the water to swish round and down the bowl. Release your finger and the valve closes again. That simple. Nowhere near the mucky stuff.

Ive got a Thetford C200 which looks fine in position.... I agree they dont look good in the pictures on the web site. Cassette is under the bowl, and I cant see how it could have a remote option.

Mine would almost have certainly have been fitted from new in 2001. I've replaced the Bowl/Cassette interface seal on the 2 cassettes that came with it, and bought one new cassette so, hopefully, I'll never get caught short with full tanks.

The "full" light works on the newer cassette, but not on the older ones, but it's not rocket science to establish whether they are getting close to full or not. If you dont want to look, the splash or lack of splash gives an indication, but I've never found that a quick glance causes me any issues :)

Seconded. I'm happy with my C200.

Seconded. I'm happy with my C200.

The problem with them is that they seem to be limited for use by those who can fit them against a bulkhead. On the other side of the bathroom bulkhead in my boat is a double bed. I don't fancy crawling under or moving a heavy bed every time I want to empty the cassette. The Thetford toilets are primarily designed for designed for a caravans and RVs where you can have a hole in an external side and for many people on boats they won't be suitable to retrofit.

Edited by blackrose

The problem with them is that they seem to be limited for use by those who can fit them against a bulkhead. On the other side of the bathroom bulkhead in my boat is a double bed. I don't fancy crawling under or moving a heavy bed every time I want to empty the cassette. The Thetford toilets are primarily designed for designed for a caravans and RVs where you can have a hole in an external side and for many people on boats they won't be suitable to retrofit.

The Thetford C-402 cassette is accessed through the side rather than the rear, if that helps. There doesn't seem to be any sort of end panel available so one would have to be made to put the hatch in.

The Thetford C-402 cassette is accessed through the side rather than the rear, if that helps. There doesn't seem to be any sort of end panel available so one would have to be made to put the hatch in.

Thanks, just had a look and that one is far too wide. I wouldn't have the clearance to get the cassette out and it would mean completely redoing the bathroom.

Anyway, I've decided Thetfords are seriously ugly, purely utilitarian designs so definitely not for my boat. I wouldn't want to spoil my bathroom.

C400-right-tank-al.jpg

post-1046-0-08071800-1485122356_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackrose

When Largo's pump out tank failed and had to be taken out, I was faced with the task of fitting a new tank, or indeed, having one made, or purchasing a cassette loo.

But, as with everything, taking ones time in making a decision is paramount. So we bought a Potapotty from the chandler and off we went cruising and decision making.

We both felt the Portapotty was good at its job and become accosted to emptying it whenever we filled Largo's water tank.

But, we decided that as good s the Portapotty was we needed something more permanent. The choice is quite limited and one had to choose between the Thetford or the Dometic.

As I remember, both could be use flush water from the units own tank, or from the boat water supply. The Dometic is slightly smaller than the Thetford.

In making the decision, I can still hear a voice of mrsmelly of this parish, Hi Tim, stating that the Dometics are work of the devil and should never ever have been made.

With this in mind and with whatever we choose be poking out furtherinto the shower room than the old pump out Mercator loo,. and the fact it would be walked around it every time we went by,

The decision was a Dometic with the access in the back and connected up to the boats water supply.

It has been installed now for nearly two years and apart from the slider jamming now and again when removing the cassette. no problems and it looks as good as a cassette bog will ever look!

We have a most expensive spare cassette hidden away unused, because we thought we would have trouble emptying, and would need it, but soon became clear that we normally pass a service point every other day, because we cruise every day and at a push we can make one last a week!

Would I fit another one? Yes i would. i do think the Thetford is the better loo, but then if fitted, we would be hitting our knees on it every time we went past it!

But, what I would do next time, is to get one with the integral water tank, it has to be quieter than starting up the boats water pumps every time you wanted to flush, especially at night, and it would be filled at the same time as you put in the blu or green, whatever you use.

We still have the Portapotty stored on the boat, just in case!

Hope this helps

Nipper