Thoughts on this

Saul Bee

Featured Posts

Obviously I would take a look in person before I even considered putting a bid in but the question is. Is it worth my while to go and have a look at it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROW-BOAT-CANAL-BOAT-/332092744856?hash=item4d52452498:g:6RAAAOSwo4pYe2Jr

Whatever you do, dont light the stove. There's not an awful lot of information, someone has done some work in the recent past. I don't think its a Springer unless the re-bottoming was very radical. Edited by Stewart Kirby

Whatever you do, dont light the stove. There's not an awful lot of information, someone has done some work in the recent past. I don't think its a Springer unless the re-bottoming was very radical.

Hmm, just gone back and looked at the picture of the stove. Is that because there isn't a lot of surround? I could see that might be an issue when it came to getting a bssc cert.

I know there could be some work to be done, so next question. What would be a reasonable top bid do you reckon?

I'm thinking there is no way it's worth more than 10000 and that is if the hull is sound and the engine reliable.

Others may disagree but I think it's about at its top value now. £7500 max I'd have thought, as it stands (floats).

Too little info and who knows how much work you'd be buying.

Advert say's it's a springer

Advert could say it's a Hudson but that wouldn't make it one.

Hmm, just gone back and looked at the picture of the stove. Is that because there isn't a lot of surround? I could see that might be an issue when it came to getting a bssc cert.

I know there could be some work to be done, so next question. What would be a reasonable top bid do you reckon?

I'm thinking there is no way it's worth more than 10000 and that is if the hull is sound and the engine reliable.

You would also have to remove the toilet.

Advert say's it's a springer

That doesn't prove it is one, it may be, we could be wrong.

I see it's at Rochester which I think is tidal i.e. brackish water, so hull may be more of a concern.

Yes, it's on the river Mudway Medway :-)

Personally I don't like it, the back doors look like they are off of someone's conservatory and the railings look too high. I'm not keen on the square stern either but we all have different tastes. If it is structurally sound then everything else is just aesthetics. (IMHO)

Edited by Dyad

It reminds me of the old 'Swan Line' boats which had fine lines found on traditional river boats.

Volvo Penta engines are expensive to repair - even if parts are available and should be capable of running if CCing.

Pretty sure that Sam Springer never made that type of shape - why should he, his basic style suited the materials available.

The reason it's not a Springer is ....... because it isn't, it's also not a Josher, nor a Dawncraft.

I've noticed that, in recent years, "Springer" has been used to denote any small old narrowboat, especially if it's got rust patches and dints - rather like "banger" for a car. I think the advertiser is using the word in that sense.

No, looks nothing like a Hudson, so can't possibly be a josher.

Why?

Perhaps because it appears to be a "sea toilet", WHICH DUMPS ITS CONTENTS STRAIGHT DOWN INTO THE WATER. I BELIEVE THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED ON MANY, IF NOT ALL, bRITISH INLAND WATERS.

Blasted caps lock - has mind of its own.

I think its actually made by a company up in Cheshire whose name I can't remember, its old anyway, quite a nice shape to the stern, why do builders just weld a great flat sheet of steel across the back, its just awful. I wouldn't travel very far to see it, there is quite likely not much in it that's very good.

It reminds me of the old 'Swan Line' boats which had fine lines found on traditional river boats.

Volvo Penta engines are expensive to repair - even if parts are available and should be capable of running if CCing.

Pretty sure that Sam Springer never made that type of shape - why should he, his basic style suited the materials available.

I also thought it looked like a Swan Line boat, but couldn't find a picture to compare. I seem to recall Calcutt used to have some hire boats of similar lines too.

I've noticed that, in recent years, "Springer" has been used to denote any small old narrowboat, especially if it's got rust patches and dints - rather like "banger" for a car. I think the advertiser is using the word in that sense.

I see where you're coming from Athy.

It's definitely not a Hoover, but might be a Fridge, let's hope Sellotape hasn't be used in its construction.

And if there is a problem with the hull then that stove could prove it's a Jacuzzi.

I've noticed that, in recent years, "Springer" has been used to denote any small old narrowboat

Yes, our old Midway 235 was advertised as a Springer.

Mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, any 'project boat' can be be real money pit, even if it's only small and even if it 'only' needs internal and cosmetic work rather than work on the hull. And I speak from experience here! On the other hand, if it's just been replated to a good standard, it's got one very significant advantage over a lot of similar 30-year-old, thin-plated boats that may be in imminent need major work on the hull, or that may have been overplated to a standard that's hard for a surveyor to determine.

In good nick inside and out, I suppose I'd expect the ceiling value on a boat of this size and (presumed) age to be, what, £15,000? So £10k doesn't sound like a crazy amount of money to be spending on it as a bit of a project, depending on how much work it actually needs and how much of that work you'd be able and willing to do yourself.

No, looks nothing like a Hudson, so can't possibly be a josher.

Perhaps because it appears to be a "sea toilet", WHICH DUMPS ITS CONTENTS STRAIGHT DOWN INTO THE WATER. I BELIEVE THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED ON MANY, IF NOT ALL, bRITISH INLAND WATERS.

Blasted caps lock - has mind of its own.

Not so. We also have a sea toilet. It is plumbed into a holding tank for inland use and has a diverter valve for coastal use. An easy modification so no need to remove the toilet at all.

They are also still allowed to be used minus the holding tank on the Great Ouse for some reason.

Well I am guessing its not going to stay on the Medway as in another thread he asked about moving a boat to the main canal system and that looks like a sea toilet to me.

They can be easily connected to a holding tank.

Not so. We also have a sea toilet. It is plumbed into a holding tank for inland use and has a diverter valve for coastal use. An easy modification so no need to remove the toilet at all.

They are also still allowed to be used minus the holding tank on the Great Ouse for some reason.

They can be easily connected to a holding tank.

Yes Rachel, but your boat is modern and quite upmarket, the boat in the advert is neither of those things.

You've got to install a holding tank before easily connecting the bog - not a job for the casual DIY-er!

I see where you're coming from Athy.

It's definitely not a Hoover, but might be a Fridge, let's hope Sellotape hasn't be used in its construction.

And if there is a problem with the hull then that stove could prove it's a Jacuzzi.

Generics'R'Us.

Doubtless the boat dog is a Labrador (not yellow retriever, golden retriever, flat-haired retriever etc).

I have spotted the odd one out: Fridge isn't a brand name! I think the Americans call(ed) them Bendixes.

How long can you use your holding tank before you need to pump it out?