Is vhf radio still needed on inland waters

George-Pole

Featured Posts

Hi all, I currently have a widebeam in build. When it's finished (in April/May) I will obviously be cruising mainly rivers especially around the Trent. Do you still need vhf radio to contact the lockies for ease of passage or do they now use mobiles. Either way how do I know what channel they are on or what are their mobile numbers.

Thanks George.

Hi all, I currently have a widebeam in build. When it's finished (in April/May) I will obviously be cruising mainly rivers especially around the Trent. Do you still need vhf radio to contact the lockies for ease of passage or do they now use mobiles. Either way how do I know what channel they are on or what are their mobile numbers.

Thanks George.

It is not compulsory but very helpfull if the you know what hits the fan. Just as a for instance if you lose power on a big tide/flow and there is a boat approaching you who may be able to assist in some way have you got his telefone number with you? nope probably not but he may well have vhf and therefore you can contact and discuss. It is I believe still compulsory on lower reaches of the Thames for boats over forty feet long but that may have changed ( why the length difference rolleyes.gif ) since I last did it.

It is not compulsory but very helpfull if the you know what hits the fan. Just as a for instance if you lose power on a big tide/flow and there is a boat approaching you who may be able to assist in some way have you got his telefone number with you? nope probably not but he may well have vhf and therefore you can contact and discuss. It is I believe still compulsory on lower reaches of the Thames for boats over forty feet long but that may have changed ( why the length difference :rolleyes: ) since I last did it.

I think it is 47' and that's because the 'class' of boat changes at 47' (it'll be a metric measurement I am sure so my 47' may be wrong) from one that doesn't require VHF to one that does - seems odd to me, but I didn't invent the rules, as on the tidal Thames - particularly through London - VHF is in my opinion crucial especially if something goes horribly wrong.

Edited by Leo No2

I think it is 47' and that's because the 'class' of boat changes at 47' (it'll be a metric measurement I am sure so my 47' may be wrong) from one that doesn't require VHF to one that does - seems odd to me, but I didn't invent the rules, as on the tidal Thames - particularly through London - VHF is in my opinion crucial especially if something goes horribly wrong.

I believe the number you're thinking of is 13.7m, it was probably previously specified as 45ft and then metricised. This is the cutoff beyond which you become a Class XII vessel from the MCA's point of view.

Edited by Giant

Radios are very cheap now and the test is not onerous.Registration of the vessel is free. Never tried it ,but I understand if you know other vessels MMSI number,you can call them up.Any equipment that might help safety,surely worthwhile.

Radios are very cheap now and the test is not onerous.Registration of the vessel is free. Never tried it ,but I understand if you know other vessels MMSI number,you can call them up.Any equipment that might help safety,surely worthwhile.

Trouble is peeps are oft daft. They spend 6/60k on a boat and want the latest expensive gadgets but in many cases will not do a basic radio course and spend 50 quid on a radio that may well help save their 6/60k boat or even more!!

The bigger the water the more useful the VHF set will be. Read up about each river to see where your boat length needs VHF

It is also handy on smaller rivers like the non tidal Trent. You can radio ahead and the lock will be ready when you get there. Or if there is likely to be a delay they will advise you and you can slow down to suit.

Also handy for speaking to other boats on the river if you don't understand their intentions or what they are trying to do. You can't do this if you are relying on mobile phone.

To answer the Ops question "Is VHF radio still needed on inland waterways". in general, the answer is no, but, in certain specific areas it is mandatory.

Is it useful ? - Yes

Does it aid locking ? - Yes

Does it provide additional safety cover ? - Yes

Will it work when mobile phones cannot get a signal ? - Yes

Here's a longer list of all the places you can use a VHF on inland waterways ...

https://www.waterways.org.uk/boating/navigating_your_boat/vhf/vhf_radio_channels

It's a little out of date (eg Denver/Salters Lode don't use it any more).

I don't think Limehouse are using VHF at present (despite having "VHF ch 80" painted in large letters on the bridge over the lock!).

To answer the Ops question "Is VHF radio still needed on inland waterways". in general, the answer is no, but, in certain specific areas it is mandatory.

Is it useful ? - Yes

Does it aid locking ? - Yes

Does it provide additional safety cover ? - Yes

Will it work when mobile phones cannot get a signal ? - Yes

Did it work when Keadby Lock's VHF broke down last year? - No (There's been no notice yet that it's been fixed)

Here's a longer list of all the places you can use a VHF on inland waterways ...

https://www.waterways.org.uk/boating/navigating_your_boat/vhf/vhf_radio_channels

It's a little out of date (eg Denver/Salters Lode don't use it any more).

I don't think Limehouse are using VHF at present (despite having "VHF ch 80" painted in large letters on the bridge over the lock!).

Limehouse were using it as Ive heard it squawking in the background on numerous occasions. With little traffic at the moment I cannot say I have heard it recently particularly as the office shuts at 5pm due to winter hours.

Limehouse were using it as Ive heard it squawking in the background on numerous occasions. With little traffic at the moment I cannot say I have heard it recently particularly as the office shuts at 5pm due to winter hours.

Thanks - my info was a bit out of date (last summer), sounds like they have put more people through the training and/or replaced the fuse!

I remember radioing ahead to Vale Royal locks on the Weaver a couple of years ago....Vale Royal lock this is Nb Ceilidh....no reply. Wait 30 seconds. Vale Royal lock this is Nb Ceilidh....no reply. Ho hum, dug out their number and telephoned. Locky answered straight away and said they would be ready for us. Btw I radioed just now, you mustnt have been listening. "Oh no we heard you, but noone here has a licence so we couldnt reply"!