Rudder bearing

Featured Posts

Got my first boat in August, only had a hull survey done, and was advised that the bottom rudder bearing needed replacing. Now I have been using the boat I realise that the top bearing (or bush) is in need of repair. The rudder is sloppy, feels like a bearing has lost it's balls, and at cruising speed I need to use my hip to force the rudder over. The boat is a 1975 Teddesley, 30 footer, steel hull, with GRP top. I wonder if anyone can advise me on the rudder bearing arrangement. I have searched on here I can't seem to find any that look like this.

Above deck

post-22059-0-90944700-1484588236_thumb.jpg

Below deck

post-22059-0-41350000-1484588272_thumb.jpg

Got my first boat in August, only had a hull survey done, and was advised that the bottom rudder bearing needed replacing. Now I have been using the boat I realise that the top bearing (or bush) is in need of repair. The rudder is sloppy, feels like a bearing has lost it's balls, and at cruising speed I need to use my hip to force the rudder over. The boat is a 1975 Teddesley, 30 footer, steel hull, with GRP top. I wonder if anyone can advise me on the rudder bearing arrangement. I have searched on here I can't seem to find any that look like this.

Above deck

attachicon.gif_DSC0192.jpg

Below deck

attachicon.gif_DSC0189.jpg

Mmm, why is that rudder stock tube bound up? Looks a bit suspicious, has it rusted through?

Thank you for the opinions, helpful as always.

The survey was just a hull survey, so the surveyor didn't look inside the boat.

To me it looks like either Denso tape, or fibre glass on the tube, have not crawled that far in between the fuel tanks.

I suspect the Tony is correct, the whole thing just moves around in the deck, so might have worn the deck plate. The boat is needs to come out of the water for blacking soon, so I will have to investigate further.

Thank you for the opinions, helpful as always.

The survey was just a hull survey, so the surveyor didn't look inside the boat.

To me it looks like either Denso tape, or fibre glass on the tube, have not crawled that far in between the fuel tanks.

I suspect the Tony is correct, the whole thing just moves around in the deck, so might have worn the deck plate. The boat is needs to come out of the water for blacking soon, so I will have to investigate further.

I definitely wouldn't poke it while its in the water

(snip)

I suspect the Tony is correct, the whole thing just moves around in the deck, so might have worn the deck plate. (snip)

When you say "the whole thing", does that include the bit the rudder stock is passing through, on the deck?

The thing on the deck looks like a non ferrous metal separate plain top bearing.

Yes, thats is what it looks like to me.

When you say "the whole thing", does that include the bit the rudder stock is passing through, on the deck?

Yes, the top plain bearing is loose and rotates with the rudder. If I push the rudder back and forth, the top bearing moves a few millimeters in the deck.

My guess is that the bolt in the rudder tube used to hold the bearing, but due to corrosion on the tube, the bearing has been rotating in the deck.

I will take some measurements this afternoon to see if it's possible to replace the plain bearing with a flanged ball bearing.

An easy to replace plastic bush might be better than a ball bearing, ball bearings and water are not a good match. The stuff from Warstock engineering is common on boats and Midland Chandlers etc stock it. If you need welding and new holes drilling etc it might be worth doing a re-work to use these common parts. I suggest then when you come out for blacking you choose a yard who has good welding and engineering skills and facilities rather than just a routine blackers.

...........Dave

An easy to replace plastic bush might be better than a ball bearing, ball bearings and water are not a good match. The stuff from Warstock engineering is common on boats and Midland Chandlers etc stock it. If you need welding and new holes drilling etc it might be worth doing a re-work to use these common parts. I suggest then when you come out for blacking you choose a yard who has good welding and engineering skills and facilities rather than just a routine blackers.

...........Dave

Thanks for that Dave, well worth considering.