Servicing life jackets

Kieron G

Featured Posts

It really is very easy to DIY, why pay £15 + components when you can DIY for component cost only ?

Weigh your gas cylinder - is it the same as is stamped on the side of the cylinder ?If it is, just buy a new 'bobbin', if it is a lower weight then buy a re-arming kit (bobbin, safety tab and cylinder) from your local marina - around the £15 mark. (make sure it is for your model of jacket)

• Greenie 1

As Alan says, do it yourself.

ETA: Dont forget to do a visual check of the jacket to check its condition and also manually inflate it and leave it inflated to check that it is air tight.

Edited by Naughty Cal

As Alan says, do it yourself.

ETA: Dont forget to do a visual check of the jacket to check its condition and also manually inflate it and leave it inflated to check that it is air tight.

And - DO NOT inflate it by mouth (use a bike pump, car tyre pump etc) Do not inflate to 'rock-hard', just higher than atmospheric pressure - leave over night and check it is still inflated - if not you need a new one.

Moisture in your breath will rot/perish the bladder and when you come to need it, it will not hold air.

• Greenie 1

Ok, I'll bring them home and have a look. One of them appears to have slightly self deployed in the clear bag I store them in for some reason so will need at least a new cylinder and what ever triggers it. They are around 2 1/2 years old now. thanks for the advice.

The website that I bought my replacement parts from included some very clear youtube videos showing you how to replace the cylinder and the bobbin thingy.

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/videos

It's quite fun to "test" the old components by wearing the lifejacket in the shower, but don't do the crotch strap up too tight. I have a selfie somewhere I am sure ....

They need checking every year, and the salt-bobbin replacing (at least) every two years.

Moisture in he air gradually destroys the salt in the bobbin, allowing the firing pin to creep slowly forward puncturing the gas cylinder sufficiently for it to leak, and maybe slightly inflate the jacket.

The best method of storage is to use 'vacuum storage bags' £1 each from (you guessed it) Pound-Shops, or a couple of pounds from Home Bargains, Pound-Stretcher etc.

These bags (when evacuated) keep all of the moisture away from the bobbin. Ideally store your life jacket in one each time you leave the boat (or do not intend to use the LJ for some time)

And - DO NOT inflate it by mouth (use a bike pump, car tyre pump etc) Do not inflate to 'rock-hard', just higher than atmospheric pressure - leave over night and check it is still inflated - if not you need a new one.

Moisture in your breath will rot/perish the bladder and when you come to need it, it will not hold air.

Glad that was mentioned, be aware if you use an industrial air compressor... just because you have access to one, be aware that some emit a small mist of oil, depending on the design, and the oil might affect the bladder.

Note, when buying a replacement recharge kit, the supplier might try to palm you off with old stock, with a short replace by date, so challenge them. I did this with a chandler... and he said I think we have some new stock, how right he was, a 12 month difference in the dates.

Just for clarity, you only have a salt pill/bobbin if it is an automatic life jacket. If it is a manual jacket then just a toggle and 'burst' pin into the cylinder.

So check the jacket as above and weigh the CO2 cylinder.

When you refold it follow the unfold sequence as if you just stuff it into the outer case it may not deploy correctly when you need it.

Just for clarity, you only have a salt pill/bobbin if it is an automatic life jacket. If it is a manual jacket then just a toggle and 'burst' pin into the cylinder.

So check the jacket as above and weigh the CO2 cylinder.

When you refold it follow the unfold sequence as if you just stuff it into the outer case it may not deploy correctly when you need it.

The OPs title does state "Auto Inflate type"

That's great. thanks for link and advice. The only place I can think with accurate scales is the post office.

Normal kitchen scales are more than adequate.

Cylinder will weigh around 32 grams*

Edit : * depends of if you have 150N, 285N etc lifejackets.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The OPs title does state "Auto Inflate type"

It may not always clear when you inherit a lifejacket whether it is a manual inflator or an auto, so when servicing, it is important to know the difference in components, or rather the lack of components in the manual version. Some people might not know that manual versions exist. So not a bad diversion from the main topic, in my opinion.

What I don't know... if you remove the salt cell from an Auto lifejacket, can the life jacket still serve as a manually operated version only?

I think it might, but I wouldn't like to bet my life on it.

What I don't know... if you remove the salt cell from an Auto lifejacket, can the life jacket still serve as a manually operated version only?

I think it might, but I wouldn't like to bet my life on it.

Yes, on mine anyway. The pin is either moved upwards by pulling on the cord; or by the salt cell expanding and pushing it upwards.

Normal kitchen scales are more than adequate.

Cylinder will weigh around 32 grams*

Edit : * depends of if you have 150N, 285N etc lifejackets.

Err, bit more than that. You forgot the metalwork cheers.gif (about 140g for a 150N jacket)

Err, bit more than that. You forgot the metalwork cheers.gif (about 140g for a 150N jacket)

So weigh the cylinder then let the gas out and weigh it again. Then you'll know if it was any good before you let the gas out...

:::coat:::

So weigh the cylinder then let the gas out and weigh it again. Then you'll know if it was any good before you let the gas out...

:::coat:::

Did you work testing matches is a match manufacturing business?

Yes that one works.... so does that... lol ...

• 2 weeks later...

Kits ordered from the link provided by 'Scholar Gypsy' Both jackets serviced now and ready to go again. Just need a couple of vacuum bags and they can go back on boat. Thanks for advice on this. I understand how they work now and can check that the green tags and discs are in place before wearing or handing one to some one else to wear in future.

Kits ordered from the link provided by 'Scholar Gypsy' Both jackets serviced now and ready to go again. Just need a couple of vacuum bags and they can go back on boat. Thanks for advice on this. I understand how they work now and can check that the green tags and discs are in place before wearing or handing one to some one else to wear in future.

Its not difficult is it - you can now be an ambassador for Lifejacket Servicing and promote safety.

Well done.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, tony ford said:

The only safe bet is to send them back to the makers - lives may depend on them

Modern Inflatable lifejackets are made so that they are easy to service, especially the re-arming procedure.  If unsure then, of course take them to a service agent, but there are videos available on line to explain the rearming procedure for most types of lifejackets and it is a good idea to familiarise yourself with how to do it. You should always carry the appropriate rearming kit - in my case tablets and gas bottles - so that if the lifejacket is used it can be rearmed immediately to be ready for further use, and it is a useful skill to learn if away on a trip so that you are  prepared for when it may happen.

Howard

Edited by howardang