Hull Repairs - Evesham, Worcester, Cheltenham area?

Featured Posts

Hi guys

I'm looking for a company that can do some Hull repairs and plating to narrowboat in the Evesham, Worcester, Cheltenham area.

If anyone can recommend someone to me it would be fantastic as i'd rather get a recommendation than just finding some random company.

Thanks

B

Hey, yeah it is.

What do you mean by 'passed the extension'

I presume he was referring to your post...

great, thanks guys.

You can only see the join on the roof of the boat, and its very hard to see under then paint work. The owners had a survey done a few months ago and the lengthening was all cleared.

Cheers

B

Hey, yeah it is.

What do you mean by 'passed the extension'

In the other thread you stated :

"The owners had a survey done a few months ago and the lengthening was all cleared."

I would suggest that it is 'the norm' to have an independent surveyor (or suitably qualified person) to check that during lengthening that suitable reinforcement / bracing is used, that the plates are correctly welded (both sides ?), etc etc. and then 'sign off' the finished job.

If the lengthening was carried out 'recently' then I would certainly be questioning why the 'hull problems' were not identified at the time.

Tread very carefully and be prepared to lose a lot of money if it turns out to be a 'lemon'.

Without knowing a bit more about the boat (make, history etc) or seeing some pictures I WOULD be unlikely to buy it.

"Good Boats" cost a lot of money to maintain without buying a 'problem child' from the start.

I guess what I meant was that there was no issues with the extension. It is strange that none of the hull issues were picked up in the extension as it was only done in 2013.

I just saw that RW Davis did the extension as well.

I'm getting in touch with them now.

Don't worry about a bit of plating so long as its affordable. Story of steel boats 10 to 20 years, all perfect, 20 years plus, bit of corrosion, 30 years or so, bit of overplating, 40 years or so old bottom and footings cut off, new steel put in, good as new again. That is a huge generalisation and there probably is not a single boat that fits it but it can give a bit of an idea.

Don't worry about a bit of plating so long as its affordable. Story of steel boats 10 to 20 years, all perfect, 20 years plus, bit of corrosion, 30 years or so, bit of overplating, 40 years or so old bottom and footings cut off, new steel put in, good as new again. That is a huge generalisation and there probably is not a single boat that fits it but it can give a bit of an idea.

But - its a 40 year old Springer already being sold at 'way above' what a 'good Springer' can be bought for.

I guess what I meant was that there was no issues with the extension. It is strange that none of the hull issues were picked up in the extension as it was only done in 2013.

I just saw that RW Davis did the extension as well.

I'm getting in touch with them now.

Do you know what a boat identified as a "Springer" is, and what the top price should be even in good condition?

If not, do some homework, and save yourself the cost of any more phone calls.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this boat is seriously poor value by any measure.