Need a little help

tz55uk

Featured Posts

Hi I've decided not to have boat towed to many stoppages. So I've decided to do it up where she sits.so help needed with a few things. I've got my carpenter in so inside can be finished within a couple of months. So firstly completely new set up of solar panels kit. Who is best option and how much roughly am I going to be looking at. Secondly the inportant bit a good lister or equivalent again how much and where best to get one

Your question about solar panels is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. You need to establish some sort of idea of your daily power requirements also will you live aboard or will you be a leisure boater. Remember that during the winter your panels will at best only deliver 10% of rated output.

Most people swear by Bimble as a supplier, myself having first used solar some 10 years ago have never tried them, but rather have relied on net purchases and on my 2nd boat I used eBay.

Can't help with the Lister I'm afraid..

Phil

Secondly the inportant bit a good lister or equivalent again how much and where best to get one

Assuming you mean an engine......

How big ?

Air or water cooled ?

With or without gearbox ?

To match an existing prop ?

In short, more info needed!

Tony Redshaw Vintage diesels are advertising Indian built Lister CS2's.

http://www.vintagediesels.co.uk/lister-cs2/

I think OP may be looking to spend less than £8.5K?

Also I think it will be set up for raw water cooling. and need to swing a bigger prop than many modern boats could fit under the counter.

I'm kind of assuming they are looking for a decent second hand unit like an SR or ST, but unless they tell us, we are guessing.

I'm not sure but possibly RLWP had a rebuilt SR something available recently?

Ok right abit more information yrs ill be living on her and she is 57 ft long trad.got its own engine room with I believe a perkins gearbox. Solar will need to run everything ie lights tv fridge.hope tho is more help

Ok right abit more information yrs ill be living on her and she is 57 ft long trad.got its own engine room with I believe a perkins gearbox. Solar will need to run everything ie lights tv fridge.hope tho is more help

Still not enough info. I would say.

For a start are you set up for raw water cooled or skin tank cooled, because when people are looking for a replacement Lister it is often an air cooled unit.

But now you mention Perkins, so presumably not looking for straight swap of like with like.

Do you have an existing engine, and do you know what model it is (not just what make).

Is this engine room at the back of the boat, or forward of that with an accommodation cabin behind, and a prop shaft under the floor.

Do you have an existing prop. If so, what size? If not, how big a prop can you fit with adequate clearance to skeg and counter ?

Otherwise we can only guess!

OP

More info is needed . You can t really ask for well meaning advice without providing it . The reason is because there are too many options and without specific answers from you those knowledgeable enough to help are simply unable .

" Solar needs to run everything etc etc " isnt a suitable answer is it ??

You need to ascertain your power needs by doing an " audit " of what equipment you HAVE to run and whatever else you would LIKE to run . Once the maths is done then the calculations can be used to determine what solar capacity is required .If you just guess you can waste money , so look at your needs , do some maths ( ask here about power audits ) & take it from there . It is unlikely to " run " all your needs in winter unless you cut back your electrical usage . I for instance turn my fridge off from October / November until March & this helps .... ME . Your usage , your boat .. things may be different - So provide the numbers and folk can help .

As for " i need a new engine ... " . Good grief - how on earth can people help ??

People are only too willing to provide answers but you really need to give more info spcific to your situation. Again , provide it and the answers will probably be found .

But its up to you - you have to help others to help yourself .

cheers

Edited by chubby

Can you help - I have bought a car without an engine - what engine do I need and how much will it cost ?

That depends on the car, and on whether you require a new engine or a second-hand one.

Not wasting anyones time at all . BUT folk genuinely cannot help without further info from yourself . Think about all the equipment / gadgets / appliances you are looking to operate onboard &

people will have a better idea of how to advise you .

Same with the engine - more details needed .As i say , folk here are only too willing to help in my experience but without info nowt can be done .

cheers

And your comment about having a Perkins gearbox. Is there are engine there too that's dead? Or just nothing? This is a sort of really basic info peeps here are gasping for, before any sensible help can be offered.

Oh and are you SURE its a Perkins gearbox? I didn't think Perkins made gearboxes, only engines. But happy to be proved wrong.