Bridgewater Closed 13th Feb till 24th May

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

On 1/6/2017 at 12:49, John Wareing said:

Well that's really messed up my son's wedding plans. We had planned to take our boat down from Scarisbrick to London in April/May so that we could convey his lovely fiancee from Limehouse Basin to their do at Limehouse Town Hall at the end of May. I suppose we could still do it by going across to Leeds and back over the Rochdale or Huddersfield to Manchester. Looking at canal planner that will extend the journey from 20 x 7 hour days to 33 via the Rochdale or 31 via Huddersfield. 134 miles and 94 locks further on the Rochdale.

So we craned the boat pout in late April and took it down to Calcutt Marina. That's obviously a lot further than we needed to but as most of the cost of doing this is in the cranes at each end we thought we might as well move the boat further down and take off any pressure in getting it down to London. That, and Calcutt is very cost effective!

The boat is now in Little Venice awaiting the final journey down to Limehouse on Thursday ready for wedding duty on Saturday.

On 5/21/2017 at 16:51, larryjc said:

Spoke to someone today who rang them on Friday and they said they 'thought it was still on time'  but then got shirty and said they couldn't guarantee it as it wasn't their responsibility - I assume they mean its up to their contractors.  I also think they are getting inundated with phone calls.  Maybe if the silly buggers put some up to date info on thier web site people would be more likely to stop ringing!!!

One day to go!

Daniel

43 minutes ago, Still working said:

Just to let people know, I'm tied up at Worsley and a boat has just passed by claiming to be the first boat through Vicar's Hall Bridge.

Like topics merged.

Looks like they have opened on time! Jolly good.

Daniel

Briddge works are in progress.  Two major concrete supports are up.  If my computer skills were up to it I would post a photo of us going between them at 1205 today!!  (will be on my blog later).   The only problem was that when we approached there was a ruddy great barge blocking the bridge hole but they pulled it clear when we arrived.  I warned them they would be doing that a lot as the day wore on.