Bridgewater Closed 13th Feb till 24th May

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

I believe that Salford Council have not yet agreed the necessary Road closure orders, and that this will take several weeks once they start again in the new year! I have looked on the council website and can not see any reference to the said orders.

We have now decided to make a dash from Scarisbrick to just beyond the closure before the present closure date of the 9th January. I have phoned Peel Holdings but can only ask questions about the Canal between 2-4 pm.

Like CRT, does Peel Holdings allow for continued passage beyond the stoppage?

Weather permitting, we have twelve hours cruising to do to get past.

Martyn

We have now decided to make a dash from Scarisbrick to just beyond the closure before the present closure date of the 9th January. I have phoned Peel Holdings but can only ask questions about the Canal between 2-4 pm.

Like CRT, does Peel Holdings allow for continued passage beyond the stoppage?

Weather permitting, we have twelve hours cruising to do to get past.

Martyn

Martyn

I have not received any further updates from the Bridgewater Canal Company. The Poolstock pound was being filled up again this morning at 9.15am when I passed.

Don't forget that Plank Plane lift bridge is closed during the rush hour in the morning and evening.

Steve

Thanks Pie.

I have called Peel Holdings three times now. Not in, not available, and not available,left a message for Kathryn to call back. I'm not holding my breath.

I knew about Plank Lane Bridge thank you muchly.

Martyn

Just heard back from Peel Holdings.

As far as she knows it's still the 9th Jan. Waiting for engineer to come back to her to say whether it's going ahead or not. I mentioned the rumour that it might be put back again, she didn't know, but if it is it will be broadcast,(my words).

I'm fairlyconfident I will get a call tomorrow. We'll see. We have to set off that way or we will miss the deadline to get past the 'stoppage'.

Apparently they a drain a long length of the canal to allow access to the foundations of the bridge supports.

I have had my only dealings with Peel Holdings this last two days. Firstly frustrating getting to speak to someone, once I did I've been impressed. Got back to me when promised.

I do agree that this stoppage sounds a long time. I have had it explained to me that a very long length of the canal has to be drained to gain access to the footings, to remove and build the replacement stronger bridge supports.

I am not an engineer but I have seen dams used around areas of work, for example at the entrance to Braunston Marine a couple of years ago.

Hey ho!

The problem is not really the length of the closure - although it is a long period. The real problem for boaters planning cruises is that it was originally planned to be closed 31 Oct 16 until 24 Feb 17. This was then changed to 9 Jan until 30 Apr and now, less than a week before work is due to begin it has changed again to 13 Feb until 16 Jun.