Bridgewater Closed 13th Feb till 24th May

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Are you sure about those dates? I can't see them on the Bridgewater website unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

As far as I am aware the stoppage notice no 32/2016 was sent out to all Bridgewater Canal licence holders this afternoon.

For some reason no one seems to be updating the stoppage information on the Bridgewater Canal Company website.

Steve

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/news/navigationclosurerevisedprogramme

Bridgewater Canal Notice - Navigation Closure Revised Programme

Notice is hereby given that due to the proposed replacement of Vicars Hall Bridge, (situated approximately 1.4 Km west of Boothstown Marina on the Bridgewater Canal in Boothstown) the Canal will be closed to all navigation during the course of the works.

To: Friday 30th April 2017 at 12.00 noon

Location of closure: Approximately 1.4 Km West of Boothstown Marina

The canal towpath will be diverted during the course of the works, however please remain vigilant and obey any instructions posted locally.

Works to replace the bridge are programmed to be completed within the specified period of time. However, due to the nature of the work the Company cannot guarantee completion on the published date.

For further information or updates concerning progress of the works please visit the Bridgewater Canal website during the period of the closure.

The Bridgewater Canal Company regrets and apologises for any inconvenience that these necessary works may cause. This replaces notice number 23/2016 & 30/2016.

I find it odd that Peel Holding's contractors need such a long time for this work. I know that the company wishes to develop this area but I would have thought that a few hours every other day or so could be found to let boats navigate through.

Is this the old Bailey Bridge on the brick supports that is being replaced?

It would be in Peels best interest to close the canal as they can charge the conpany doing the works vast sums of money for closing the canal, as happened when the old warehouse was being demolished just before Castlefield.

Of course the boaters don't benefit from it as the money goes straight to Peel Land and Planning rather than the Bridgewater Canal Co :)

I find it odd that Peel Holding's contractors need such a long time for this work. I know that the company wishes to develop this area but I would have thought that a few hours every other day or so could be found to let boats navigate through.

Is this the old Bailey Bridge on the brick supports that is being replaced?

If you look on the penninewaterways website there is a photo of the bridge.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

If I was a Bridgewater canal boater I'm not sure I would be that happy to be unable to go past this stoppage for one quarter of the year for which I'd paid my fee. This might be especially true for those moored in say Leigh who are therefore restricted to quite a short section. Those in Boothstown marina will just have to go on the bus to get their pies from Wigan

Thanks Steve,

If I was a Bridgewater canal boater I'm not sure I would be that happy to be unable to go past this stoppage for one quarter of the year for which I'd paid my fee. This might be especially true for those moored in say Leigh who are therefore restricted to quite a short section. Those in Boothstown marina will just have to go on the bus to get their pies from Wigan

So you think I should demand a refund of half my licence from CRT because I was trapped in a 10 mile stretch of canal this year for 6 months because two bridges had to be demolished? Well, I could try........

I think that a large majority of Bridgewater Canal licence holders do not move in the winter months and that the closure will only start to effect them from April.

There are usually a lot of CaRT boaters using the canal all year round who will be more inconvenienced.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. Means it probably won't reopen until May ish if it's close for the same length of time as published.

We were thinking of transiting southwards before the closure,and then Northwards after the reopening for the Ribble crossing in April sometime.

It's a bit of a muddle ain't it.

I hear that it may not now be closed untill Febuary... dont know more info sorry

Quite possibly the contractor will be on site from early Jan but will need time to get all the welfare and elf n safety stuff set up before he starts work that needs the cut closed.

Someone is probably paying Peel by the day to have a closure so they will want to minimise that too.

N

Edited by BEngo