L&L canal, how far west to remain safe,ish.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Happy new year.

We are presently at Halsall. We are planning on getting a bit nearer to Liverpool, then bus/train into the city to do the tourist bit.

My question is thus, how far west from where we are,should we consider travelling before we start to getting into less safe areas.

We have heard differing opinions, some good some very iffy.

Any opinions most welcome. PM if abit controversial.

Martyn. My new avatar is the Name Plaque of my first ship in the RN when I was but a lad.(16).Do you like it?

Go into the docks a fantastic experience I would of paid to do it

how volatile is salt water to the anodes? Just a little concern.

I will check when they are opening the passage. Edit to say, starts at Easter. No good for us.

So, Maghull looking good for us. We were told not to leave a boat unattended south of Lydiate. But looking at google earth looks okay!

Edited by Nightwatch

I would have thought somewhere near the Running Horses (Bells Lane). I suppose that is technically Lydiate rather than Maghull! You might also try to contact the Mersey Motor Boat Club and see whether they might have somewhere you could stop for a bit. It's a shame you are too early for the docks, it's a must-do journey.

Eldonian Village at the end is also good place to stay and welcomes people especially out of season. The Link to the docks is closed over winter I think. You can still go to the end though . You still need to book the swing bridges, to be worked.

--

Cheers IAn MAc

Eldonian Village at the end is also good place to stay and welcomes people especially out of season. The Link to the docks is closed over winter I think. You can still go to the end though . You still need to book the swing bridges, to be worked.

--

Cheers IAn MAc

I have heard differing opinions on Eldonian Village. When we went down to the docks last summer the CRT lockie working the Stanley flight advised against mooring in the Eldonian village basin overnight unless there are several boats. There have been isolated cases of trouble with youths in the adjacent park. We moored up there during the day on the return from the docks and it was very quiet, but we didn't moor overnight.

We found the canal very pleasent pretty much all the way, with some lovely mooring spots all the way to bridge 10. Bridge 9 is the first that requires advance notice to CRT who open it for you. We usually moor between bridges 11 and 10 which is a nice country mooring and usually there are other boats moored along that stretch as well.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Sorry I have only been as far as Maghull on canal.

However, the ship Name HMS Euryalus, I take it you do not mean the one decommissioned in 1825 ;) edit converted to a prison ship.

there have been a few, at a guess I will go for the dido class, decommissioned in 1954 never heard of it before just looking on Wiki

Edit again, Was you on F15 then ? Leander class, decommissioned 1990

Edited by Pompey

Yes, the Leander,F15. Joined November 1969 as a Junior, 16 1/2 years old. When to the Far East sailed the next day. Back in Guz September 1970. Left Euryalus 1972, May I think. The first is always the best.

Your screen name suggests you were in jolly old Portsmouth at sometime.

Back on topic. Some may realise from other threads that our plan has changed again. We are making a 'dash' at three miles an hour to get past the site of the proposed stoppage on the Bridgewater Canal. See the Bridgewater thread.

Sorry I have only been as far as Maghull on canal.

However, the ship Name HMS Euryalus, I take it you do not mean the one decommissioned in 1825 ;) edit converted to a prison ship.

there have been a few, at a guess I will go for the dido class, decommissioned in 1954 never heard of it before just looking on Wiki

Edit again, Was you on F15 then ? Leander class, decommissioned 1990

F15 was the sixth of the name. Commisioned 1964. Leander are considered by many as the best class of ship for sometime.

Sani station at Litherland I recall.

And moorings, and a big Tesco, and also reasonably handy for the train. I have seen boats moored there (as I drive over the flyover nearby!), but it's not the most salubrious spot, and still requires you to get the Aintree bridges worked.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. As we can't really go anywhere for three months or so, we planned to transit the Ribble onto the Lancaster, but as we can't until Easter, we are making the effort to get down the Bridgewater before the closure.

This has been my largest error so far. Getting stuck without research.

Martyn