Good marina near Halifax

mross

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a marina near Halifax? We're moving house soon and I would like to have the boat within an hour's drive. I'm looking for a quiet location with showers and laundrette etc. Currently very happy in Yelvertoft but it's time for a move and Yelvertoft is a three-hour drive away. A good social scene and a nearby pub with real ale are also important.

I've moored with Shire Cruisers for the past 11 years and am very happy there. It's a great community, but not exactly a marina - it's a working boatyard with a hire fleet. All facilities except showers, ie toilets, Elsan, pumpout, etc. And several very good pubs! It's certainly the nearest to Halifax. Space is limited, but you could always give Nigel Stevens a ring to see if there's room.

There's also Shepley Bridge Marina near Mirfield - not sure what the facilities are, but some good pubs. Moorings are online, some towpath side. Seemed to be plenty of room on the towpath side when I was there a couple of months ago.

There are also CRT moorings at Salterhebble, which now I come to think of it are even closer to Halifax. Sort of secure, but there have been incidents. About 4 or 5 boats there at the moment. Facilities block, but I don't think showers.

Edited to say that the South Pennine Boat club at Battyford lock would fulfil all of your requirements, but I would be amazed if they have any moorings available. I've left my boat there on several occasions, but only 'cos it's small and several of their regular moorers were out.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Thanks guys. The showers are just because they suggest all the other amenities, we have never used the ones at Yelvertoft but it's a nice fallback if our shower should fail. Security is quite important too, so I don't think I would want an online mooring or anywhere with public access.

Thanks guys. The showers are just because they suggest all the other amenities, we have never used the ones at Yelvertoft but it's a nice fallback if our shower should fail. Security is quite important too, so I don't think I would want an online mooring or anywhere with public access.

You'll be pushed to find all your requirements on the Calder & Hebble or Rochdale - there are no purpose-built marinas in the area. Sowerby Bridge wharf has gates locked at night, but other businesses occupy some of the buildings, so anyone can come wandering in during the day. There is a flock of geese standing guard at the moment, though.

Another couple that occur to me are Baltimore Marina near Todmorden and Savile Town Wharf near Dewsbury, but I don't know much about them except that Savile Town has its own GBG listed pub at the Wharf.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Even around Leeds is less than an hours drive from Halifax so If you fancy more large navigation than small canal then places Lemonroyd Marina may be worth a look at.

The A&C around Lemonroyd/Wakefield has a really good advantage in that you can turn around anywhere which is really nice if you just fancy taking the boat out for an hour or two and it's it good for L&L, C&H as well as the Selby canal.

Edited by Robbo

You could come over to Thorne, easy drive on the M62/M18.

Stanilands Marina has more services to offer, but Bluewater Marina is much quieter.

http://www.stanilandmarina.co.uk/

http://www.bluewatermarina.co.uk/Default.aspx?pageid=90001

You might also want to keep an eye on the new Marina currently being built at Stainforth.

http://www.waystone.co.uk/UK-Sites/Stainforth/Master-Plan-Stainforth

You don't mention your preferences in terms of cruising options, but knowing the area pretty well that would be a big consideration for me. Moor in Skipton (say) and you're going to end up doing a lot of pretty repetitive (albeit very pleasant) cruising on the L&L, because you're - what? - 4 days from any other waterway? At the other extreme, moor in/near Castleford and you have the A&C, C&H, Rochdale, Huddersfield Broad & Narrow, L&L, Selby and South Yorkshire all within a day or so's cruising.

I don't know the local marinas very well, but maybe Lemonroyd would fit the bill? Google suggests it's less than 40 minutes from Halifax.

You don't mention your preferences in terms of cruising options, but knowing the area pretty well that would be a big consideration for me. Moor in Skipton (say) and you're going to end up doing a lot of pretty repetitive (albeit very pleasant) cruising on the L&L, because you're - what? - 4 days from any other waterway? At the other extreme, moor in/near Castleford and you have the A&C, C&H, Rochdale, Huddersfield Broad & Narrow, L&L, Selby and South Yorkshire all within a day or so's cruising.

I don't know the local marinas very well, but maybe Lemonroyd would fit the bill? Google suggests it's less than 40 minutes from Halifax.

Excellent advice, thank you. Yes, Skipton would be too boring. I will look around Castleford.

You could come over to Thorne, easy drive on the M62/M18.

Stanilands Marina has more services to offer, but Bluewater Marina is much quieter.

http://www.stanilandmarina.co.uk/

http://www.bluewatermarina.co.uk/Default.aspx?pageid=90001

You might also want to keep an eye on the new Marina currently being built at Stainforth.

http://www.waystone.co.uk/UK-Sites/Stainforth/Master-Plan-Stainforth

I have not heard good things about Bluewater, especially the owner. Tends to rip the Moorers off.

Stanforth will never happen, this has been in the pipeline the last 15 years and still nothing happening.

You would be better off at Lemonroyd, as it gives better access to the various cruising areas

Edited by Northernboater

I have not heard good things about Bluewater, especially the owner. Tends to rip the Moorers off.

You would be better off at Lemonroyd, as it gives better access to the various cruising areas

I certainly did not find the people at Bluewater anything less than helpful and pleasant when I left my boat with them for 6 days last year, and the owner off his own bat charged me for 5 days instead of 6. Thorne's a bit sparse on really good pubs, though.

Edited to add an 'f' which changed the meaning!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I certainly did not find the people at Bluewater anything less than helpful and pleasant when I left my boat with them for 6 days last year, and the owner off his own bat charged me for 5 days instead of 6. Thorne's a bit sparse on really good pubs, though.

Edited to add an 'f' which changed the meaning!

The livaboards tend to tell a different story, well the one's that I have met, especially with the lack of clean facilities and if they wanted anything done they had to do it themselves. It may of changed over the last year, now more people are wanting residential moorings(well un-official ones) Edited by Northernboater

Stanforth will never happen, this has been in the pipeline the last 15 years and still nothing happening.

I find Bluewater very friendly, but it is a bit run down. However, the Stainforth development has started and they have been working on it for about 6 months.

Kevin

I find Bluewater very friendly, but it is a bit run down. However, the Stainforth development has started and they have been working on it for about 6 months.

Kevin

Same as the Doncaster new Marina. Just wonder where they will find the boats to fill it, as there is not a shortage of moorings around the area.

It would have to be an established marina. Barby moorings looked promising but progress is so slow. (This was before I chose Yelvertoft).

At Castleford you also have Fairies Hill moorings http://www.fairies-hill-moorings.co.uk as wall as Lemonroyd. Others like Stanley Ferry, Selby, not too far and various CaRT canal side moorings.

Website is probably not updated! I have sent them a query.

It has the prices on the site, so you may find that useful.

It's a short walk to Woodlesford which has some nice pubs and train station which is handy to get to Halifax (via Leeds) if you ever need to.