Repairing press studs on cratch covers

MtB

Featured Posts

As my cratch cover grows older the press studs that hold parts of it in place are failing.

Mainly, the press stud base that is pop-riveted to the steelwork of the boat or secured to another part of the farbric fails/becomes detached.

Does anyone know where these components can be obtained please, so I can repair it? Ebay searching is unproductive.

Many thanks...

I got a load some years ago for the hood, from a local hood maker. They will usually sell you some for some beer money. To "rivet" the ones over on the hood, I was advised to use a philips/pozi screwrdriver! Has worked a treat.

How about the other kind that go through and twist to fasten. No idea what they call them but need to get some. Thanks if you can help and sorry to Mike for nicking the post but you seem to have got the info you wanted.

Turnbuttons - loads on eBay!

Or Turnbuckles', often a better bet to use as it is often easier than trying to get the press stud type to pop in if canopy has shrunk a tad

I changed all mine in our previous boat and found life so much easier with Turnbuckles. Mine came from Norfolk Marine in Wroxham, they do have a website and will offer advice over the phone

Phil

ETA consideration should be given to the fact that turnbuckles are fixed with 2 screws

Edited by Phil Ambrose

• 1 month later...

Did you get sorted Mike?

Thanks for asking but curiously no.

I bought some on line which turned out to be slightly smaller and lighter duty than those already fitted and corroded away, but the killer is the setting tool supplied for fitting them.

It is a Noddy DIY punch affair you whack with a hammer with a little shaped anvil to put the stud in. The presupposes one has the workpiece nicely laid out flat on a workbench, which is not the case with a cratch cover.

My cratch is quite complex and a right PITA to take off, and once off very large and not easy to handle so I really need a setting tool in 'pliers' format, and that is proving impossible to find.

Can anyone help with this please?

I have the tool you need. Its very expensive to purchase outright but I also offer a hire on the tool.

Snap fastener tool hire here

http://www.jclarkemarine.com/collections/tools-and-hole-cutters/products/for-hire-hoover-press-n-snap-tool-professional-button-tool-sets-snaps-snap-fastener-tool

You just insert the cap and socket and squeeze. No hole cutting or hammers needed. Cover can stay attached to frame.

I then have a range of fasteners. 316 SS, 304 SS or brass nickel plated. (ALL genuine DOT brand)

http://www.jclarkemarine.com/collections

Hope this helps....

All the info for each in my fitting guides

http://www.jclarkemarine.com/pages/fitting-guides-and-info

Edited by JClarkes

I have the tool you need. Its very expensive to purchase outright but I also offer a hire on the tool.

Snap fastener tool hire here

http://www.jclarkemarine.com/collections/tools-and-hole-cutters/products/for-hire-hoover-press-n-snap-tool-professional-button-tool-sets-snaps-snap-fastener-tool

You just insert the cap and socket and squeeze. No hole cutting or hammers needed. Cover can stay attached to frame.

I then have a range of fasteners. 316 SS, 304 SS or brass nickel plated. (ALL genuine DOT brand)

http://www.jclarkemarine.com/collections

Hope this helps....

All the info for each in my fitting guides

http://www.jclarkemarine.com/pages/fitting-guides-and-info

Hi JClarkes,

Thanks for the info. I'm probably being dense but the hire charge for setting tool appears to be £189.99, yet the price to purchase it outright is slightly less at £189.58. Is there a pricing error on the website or am I reading it wrong?

Hi JClarkes,

Thanks for the info. I'm probably being dense but the hire charge for setting tool appears to be £189.99, yet the price to purchase it outright is slightly less at £189.58. Is there a pricing error on the website or am I reading it wrong?

Mike - click the 'how to hire' tab.

Tooling is the most expensive part of fitting fasteners. Especially snap fasteners if you want to do it the professional way.

I keep aside a few tools, Turnbutton and Snap for hire. The whole point of doing things yourself is usually to cut costs. So buying these tools is not going to achieve that. Hence why I set up the hire option.

I used to fit canopies for a living now just supply a service for the end user looking to fit their own.

Tooling is the most expensive part of fitting fasteners. Especially snap fasteners if you want to do it the professional way.

I keep aside a few tools, Turnbutton and Snap for hire. The whole point of doing things yourself is usually to cut costs. So buying these tools is not going to achieve that. Hence why I set up the hire option.

I used to fit canopies for a living now just supply a service for the end user looking to fit their own.

Ok I've now found the 'How to hire' tab and all makes perfect sense now.

A very useful site, thanks. I'm just considering whether converting to turnbutton fixings might be a Good Idea. I think someone suggested this right at the start of this thread. Takes me back to the original problem though, I'd need to find a hand-held setting tool!

Okay, turnbutton tooling is very different.

The tool is really just to cut the holes.

You have an oval hole to cut with 4 prong holes around it. (the shape of the turnbutton eyelet)

See here.....

http://www.jclarkemarine.com/blogs/news/116462277-what-are-turnbuttons

The tool I offer for hire is the hammer type, its a heavy duty tool, a couple of hits and the hole is punched. Work great with a magazine underneath your canopy and a block of wood under that again. Will require you to take of the section you are working with.

There is a turnbutton plier type tool but these are £350+ (Retail) Usually sell for much more £600+

But again it simply cuts the holes.

Once the hole is cut the eyelet is inserted into the canopy and through a washer on the other side , then you simply use the claw of a hammer, a stone, fat screw driver and bend the prongs against the plate.

Hope this all helps