tow vehicle

robby

Featured Posts

it is regarded as a self help club and if you can do it yourself then there is no waiting for the JCB driver if he is missing then you are stuffed just been looking at a discovery 3 and it looks good

Are you not bothered about overloading its towbar, or are you going to just see what happens?

the last thing i want is an is a problem so i won't do this until i am sure of safety then slipway is shallow, from water to park area is a rise of about 20 inches the slope of the slip is 20 ft long the pull on the tow hitch will not go over 3 to 4 tone if it was the dumper would not have pulled it out can someone send me a email address and i will send some pictures and you put them on the site i do not know how

I use my 90 Landrover to slip my boat and it is great for that but I wouldn't expect it to be able to haul a sixteen tonne narrow boat up a slip. My guess is that that the dumper has a much greater low ratio in 1st. This seems like the perfect excuse to drive around in a Unimog to me.

• Greenie 1

A pulley block and rope tackle would reduce the strain on the tug. Hook the pulley block onto the trailer, run the rope or cable around it with one end secured to the tug or Land Rover and the other end stretched out and staked. Drive on Bellingham. Double Multiple pulley blocks with the single rope or cable laid out in the same fashion, gearing up and multiplying the strength of the pull would pull it up easily, a few blokes would be able to pull it up.

A Land Rover with one rear wheel jacked up and that wheel with no tyre on it can be used as a capstan winch with the other 3 wheels firmly chocked or staked. 1st gear, low transfer.

I once with a Land Rover raised a completely sunken 45 ft ex Naval pinnace in the Bow backwaters at Bow. I wangled two weighted strops under bow and stern, brought them together onto a double purchase rope pulley tackle, then over a bulk of wood standing on end to give it a higher lift, attached the rope to my Land Rovers front bumper, selected reverse, low transfer and up it popped and held it at gunwhale level while the pumps pumped it out. It was a wooden boat, but had a heavy engine and gear in it and most of its timber was pretty water logged.

Edited by bizzard

I once pulled a 58 ft narrow boat up a slipway using a tirfor winch and machine moving skates running on planks. The winch cable was anchored to the steel gatepost across the yard. It came up like a dream. Then jacked it up using a couple of hydraulic toe jacks. The kit was all hired for a weekend from HSS. After the hull work was complete it went back in the same way.

I once pulled a 58 ft narrow boat up a slipway using a tirfor winch and machine moving skates running on planks. The winch cable was anchored to the steel gatepost across the yard. It came up like a dream. Then jacked it up using a couple of hydraulic toe jacks. The kit was all hired for a weekend from HSS. After the hull work was complete it went back in the same way.

Slow awkward and unwealdly but they certainly do the job.

I use my 90 Landrover to slip my boat and it is great for that but I wouldn't expect it to be able to haul a sixteen tonne narrow boat up a slip. My guess is that that the dumper has a much greater low ratio in 1st. This seems like the perfect excuse to drive around in a Unimog to me.

For a brief time the management of the BT mobile generator group was added to my responsibilities. They used a long wheelbase Land Rover (converted for air brake operation) to manoeuvre 18 tonne draw bar trailer generators into final position, by attaching the trailer draw bar to the front towing hitch. This included moving them up and down slopes if necessary.

For a brief time the management of the BT mobile generator group was added to my responsibilities. They used a long wheelbase Land Rover (converted for air brake operation) to manoeuvre 18 tonne draw bar trailer generators into final position, by attaching the trailer draw bar to the front towing hitch. This included moving them up and down slopes if necessary.

But the OP is talking about an unbraked trailer (of unknown tonnage) + a 16 tonne narrowboat. when pulling up a slipway there will be a big difference - if it starts to 'go' at least airbrakes will put a halt to the combination sliding into the water.

If you have ever fitted a front winch to a Land Rover, or seen its attachments, they are considerably stronger than a regular towbar mounting. I dare say, the front hitch had suitably engineered mounts. The brakes are more for control, since they don't actually reduce or eliminate the loads imposed on the towbar/mounting during moving towing, so long as its in a straight line. If it has to go around corners, without trailer brakes there is a chance the trailer will push the car to jackknife it due to its momentum. Also a front hitch will have much less overhang than a rear hitch on a Disco 3.

Doesn't matter. If the Club have rules, probably laid down by their insurance, then that is it.

Even if not dictated by insurer, every organisation has a strict duty to assess health and safety and is absolutely liable for that. (Even if sometimes the lack of legal accountability seems disgraceful) The outcome of that assessment properly over-rides any view of particular individuals, whether members, employees, customers or general public. Even to argue to subvert that assessment is unacceptable - of course, internal debates can properly take place about what is the correct assessment but whilst it is in place, everyone has a duty, to themselves and, more especially to others, to follow that set of rules. After all, if someone gets into danger as a result of ignoring such rules then someone else will be called on to risk themselves as part of a rescue or whatever.

the last thing i want is an is a problem so i won't do this until i am sure of safety then slipway is shallow, from water to park area is a rise of about 20 inches the slope of the slip is 20 ft long the pull on the tow hitch will not go over 3 to 4 tone if it was the dumper would not have pulled it out can someone send me a email address and i will send some pictures and you put them on the site i do not know how

Really?

How much does the trailer and boat weigh?

I've been thinking about this and i'm not great at maths. If the boat and trailer weigh 18 tonnes on a vertical 90' drop and the slip is estimated to be 12' . If I divide 18 by 90 and then multiply by 12 then I get a drawbar pull of 2400kg. Have been on net looking at maximum drawbar pull and there is an experiment at Harper Adams with a strain gauge between Land rovers series , 110 Defender , Discovery and a tractor. The traction coefficient for the Defender is between 0.9 and 1.1 of its weight ( accelerator to the floor on a loose surface with limited wheel spin and the tractor already travelling at 1.1mph ). The kerb weight of the Land rover 110 is approx 1930kg. I think that the coefficient will be lower at a controllable speed working on a slip. So I think it's asking too much of a 4wd. ( open to corrections ).

I've been thinking about this and i'm not great at maths. If the boat and trailer weigh 18 tonnes on a vertical 90' drop and the slip is estimated to be 12' . If I divide 18 by 90 and then multiply by 12 then I get a drawbar pull of 2400kg. Have been on net looking at maximum drawbar pull and there is an experiment at Harper Adams with a strain gauge between Land rovers series , 110 Defender , Discovery and a tractor. The traction coefficient for the Defender is between 0.9 and 1.1 of its weight ( accelerator to the floor on a loose surface with limited wheel spin and the tractor already travelling at 1.1mph ). The kerb weight of the Land rover 110 is approx 1930kg. I think that the coefficient will be lower at a controllable speed working on a slip. So I think it's asking too much of a 4wd. ( open to corrections ).

Sounds about right. The key to safe towing is lots of weight on the tow vehicle and less weight on the trailer. When a Land Rover tows a trailer heavier than itself, its always a risk because the trailer is heavier - the tail wagging the dog, if you like. When an artic or a tractor tows, the trailer doesn't have wheels in the middle, they're a bit further (or for an artic, a lot further) back, this way the trailer imposes a significant load on the back of the tow vehicle itself (and less on its own wheels). This extra load helps massively for stability. An artic's 5th wheel is in front of its rear wheels adding greatly to stability (the tow vehicle's front wheels can then share some of the weight). A tractor can't do this but the pivot is very close to the rear axle and there may be up to 3000kg weight on the tow hitch. A 4x4 simply can't do this, even the best will have a noseweight limit of ~150kg. Also a tractor has various ways to become heavier, for example front or wheel mounted weights, to balance out the various loads it carries, and find a reasonable balance between overall, front axle (for steering effect) and rear axle (for traction) weight.

Sounds about right. The key to safe towing is lots of weight on the tow vehicle and less weight on the trailer. When a Land Rover tows a trailer heavier than itself, its always a risk because the trailer is heavier - the tail wagging the dog, if you like. When an artic or a tractor tows, the trailer doesn't have wheels in the middle, they're a bit further (or for an artic, a lot further) back, this way the trailer imposes a significant load on the back of the tow vehicle itself (and less on its own wheels). This extra load helps massively for stability. An artic's 5th wheel is in front of its rear wheels adding greatly to stability (the tow vehicle's front wheels can then share some of the weight). A tractor can't do this but the pivot is very close to the rear axle and there may be up to 3000kg weight on the tow hitch. A 4x4 simply can't do this, even the best will have a noseweight limit of ~150kg. Also a tractor has various ways to become heavier, for example front or wheel mounted weights, to balance out the various loads it carries, and find a reasonable balance between overall, front axle (for steering effect) and rear axle (for traction) weight.

I think he is only planning to do about 3 mph, not 60 down the motorway

I think he is only planning to do about 3 mph, not 60 down the motorway

Speed is immaterial.

And to add a further aspect to keiron's very sensible and accurate post; you have to take into account the possible reduced traction available on a wet slipway.

if you went with the land cruiser (100 series) then you have a kerb weight of 2444 kg as your starting point and they are rated to tow 2984 kg

an alternative (older / possibly cheaper) would be a mid 90s nissan patrol, these have very similar capabilities but I suspect you will struggle to find one that doesn't have rust issues

Hmmmm......can of worms here.....for starters, what licence is required to drive a

1, digger?

2, telehandler

3, tractor?

Licence / certificate needed will depend on:-

On the road or public space or gated off private land?

For work or personal use?

1, Tracked digger or wheeled digger?

Tracked digger Cat H

Wheeled digger dep on weights and usage.

2, Agricultural tele handler or industrial one?

3, An agricultural tractor can be driven on a cat F licence. All car drivers get one when the pass cat B However this use would not be agricultural so would need either C1 or C dep on MAM of the tractor. Plus the E add on if towing a trailer.