Pinfold Bridge - Wyreley and Essington

matty40s

Featured Posts

Been having a long discussion with Ian Lane, WM Waterway Manager as we have a mooring at Sneyd. The original stoppage was for 4 weeks, ending on 9 December. Having spent time in Birmingham and Tipton we were add Bentley Bridge on the 6th. I walked upto the bridge and it was obvious that nothing was or had been done. Coming back from Sainsburys at 2pm on 7th we received an email to say the bridge was closing the next morning at 8am. Not wanting to be stuck we upped sticks and left.

The stoppage notices (there were 2, slightly contradicting each other) gave a Christmas window and weekend openings in March. As we had made plans to meet someone in Birmingham I emailed Ian for confirmation. He sent me a detailed explanation, the blame really being attributed to Wolverhampton City Council who are repairing the bridge also telling me that as the council are funding some other canal improvements he can't do too much other than insisting on the open weekends. He emailed me yesterday at 8.15pm warning me that the stoppage might change, including the words: I think I’m more frustrated that this is out of my control and people don’t appear to realise the impact they have on the canals.

He followed this up with a phone call this morning before the latest notice was published.

Incidentally there is a mistake on the notice, boats can cruise to Bentley Bridge VMs and wind there, not at Horseley Fields.

• 3 months later...