Windlass advice

AMModels

Featured Posts

Im looking to sell off some of my canal stuff including windlasses passed on to me like a Harry Neal that was my grandads as well as a large eyed windlass and a very small eyed one, the latter two probably forged (manufacture process rather than counterfeit) but Im at a loss as to an accurate price for them.

I know its whatever someone will pay for them but Im trying to get the best price possible so thought some of you might have an idea of how much they are actually worth or how much some have gone for previously.

Hope everyone is well.

Hi Andy

I can't help with valuations but there's an auction next year at Weston, similar to the one earlier this year and organised, I think, by the Historic Boat Club. If you could get them listed then that may be a way of getting a good price. I can put you in touch with some of the committee. Season's greetings!

Dave

Yes you i beleive need to val harrison. If you look on there website i think her contact is on there or can be got threw the site.

But yes they have a big boat items auction next year+ if you contact her soon she will be able to put that the items will be for sale in the next news letter.

Thanks both, really appreciate the advice and information. Now Ive made the decision I think I need to sell before I change my mind again, they are gathering dust and Id rather they go to someone who will appreciate them and not be stuck in my work shed with only me to look at them. Only think Im keeping are the books, everything else is going. Brasses and plaques mainly from over 30 years, Ive sat with them and laughed at some of the memories but my kids arent interested and I dont want them to be forgotten or tipped. Problem is Ive no idea how much these things go for and I fear waiting will make me think again.

Thanks both, really appreciate the advice and information. Now Ive made the decision I think I need to sell before I change my mind again, they are gathering dust and Id rather they go to someone who will appreciate them and not be stuck in my work shed with only me to look at them. Only think Im keeping are the books, everything else is going. Brasses and plaques mainly from over 30 years, Ive sat with them and laughed at some of the memories but my kids arent interested and I dont want them to be forgotten or tipped. Problem is Ive no idea how much these things go for and I fear waiting will make me think again.

Forgive me if I'm writing out of turn, but wouldn't them going to a good appreciative home that understands what they have be better for you (psychologically) than achieving the best possible price?

If this is the case then carefully choosing the right recipient for these items then accepting whatever they are able to pay might be a good way forward.

That's it really...

Forgive me if I'm writing out of turn, but wouldn't them going to a good appreciative home that understands what they have be better for you (psychologically) than achieving the best possible price?

If this is the case then carefully choosing the right recipient for these items then accepting whatever they are able to pay might be a good way forward.

That's it really...

This what i feel but by selling (yes the people who really appreciate items like this with not much cash loose out) but most people will bid as there intrested rather than for a proffit.

Im intrested in some of the items i know will be at the auction but i know ill have not enough cash to buy 2 of the items as ive already seen them and the history behind them is just what i want but cash flow will stop me getting them. But at least it might make sure items go to a good home.

I think Laurence may have a few words of advice about 'lending' to museums!

They may keep them for a long time; staff change; displays change; and upon requesting the return - no-one can find the item(s).

Every Tom Dick & Harry scan Ebay, and if it's cash that is wanted - that's the place to sell. However, cash has a habit of disappearing faster than a Chinese Whippet.

Edited by Derek R.

They may keep them for a long time; staff change; displays change; and upon requesting the return - no-one can find the item(s).

We found exactly that too with some things we lent when Tony Condor was in charge at Stoke Bruerne, but when we asked about them recently they had seemingly disappeared.

I'm thinking of having a clear-out too. We've got 3 or 4 guaging rods - a couple of simple wooden "rulers" and a couple of much more sophisticated design. They're probably more difficult to put a value on than windlasses or bits of boat such as topmasts so I don't really know.

Having 'lost' a good bit of family heirlooms to museums my feelings for them are less than charitable and while I appreciate what MTB says one doesnt necessarily preclude the other. Although at the heart of it is that I simply need the money. sad.png

DONT give anything to the CRT museums. They will fail to record, display and take any notice of what you tell them. Then they will probably "lose" them, I have no idea where my stuff is and probably never will have.

This isnt limited to crt muesums trust me

We only give items to museums that they really want and are going to display.

Look at birmingham museum have you seen there stoor room god i would love some of the items you never see.

Edited by billybobbooth

......well I need a couple of windlass - what kind of money are these worth..?

if you mean to actually use, I get the impression that at least two of what OP is talking about are not for spindle sizes you might generally still find in regular use?

Perhaps I am wrong, but in general many truly historic windlasses are now display pieces only. (E.g. old "Grand Union" ones - GU locks used to have much larger spindles than now....)

And anyway, I suspect these are worth more than you would risk on windlasses for general service......

Every Tom Dick & Harry scan Ebay, and if it's cash that is wanted - that's the place to sell. However, cash has a habit of disappearing faster than a Chinese Whippet.

Have you been watching "The Bargee" again?

George ex nb Alton retired

Andy, fancy just putting the items you wish to sell on here with pictures?

I'm interested to know what brass items you have. I'm currently looking for a miniature brass oil lamp and one of those brass rails that hangs above the stove.

I also sometimes buy things on impulse when I see something I like.

Having 'lost' a good bit of family heirlooms to museums my feelings for them are less than charitable and while I appreciate what MTB says one doesnt necessarily preclude the other. Although at the heart of it is that I simply need the money. sad.png

The windlasses will find their own level. The brass plaques are virtually worthless and you will get better money from a scrap yard sale. We have still a large quantity of "new" brass plaques which are unsaleable, a fair quantity of those went to a scrappie in 2012.

Put the windlasses on ebay, well described and to finish the day after boxing day at a sensible time, ie 19.00. There is a lot of spare money to be spent after xmas and you may get a good sale.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Andy,

Are you absolutely convinced that what you have pictured are genuine forged windlasses.

It is very hard to tell from the pictures, but to me they could just be of the standard cast types that were produced in vast numbers by about the early 1970s.

These were always based on "the real thing" to the extent that they generally had the same markings on them as the "real" windlasses used as patterns when making them.

If I'm being daft, please ignore, but somehow those don't look quite right in the photos to be forged. (I hope I'm wrong!).

Edited by alan_fincher