Engine Bilge cleaning, pig Blankets? Any tips or advice

reg

Featured Posts

Not qualified to answer that.

Seriously though a good question

On another point I was chatting to the local DIY store owner, went in on the off chance he had something for the Job, he suggested that if I did use nappies then why not put them in an old pillowcase first. Seems like a good suggestion to me.

Edited by reg

I think the OP meant Newpig oil absorbent pads. We used to use them at work. They do a wide range of very effective oil absorbant products.

https://www.newpig.com/pig/UK/pig-products/absorbents-122285/oil-only-absorbents-122333

Edited for spillung.

Edited by cuthound
  • Greenie 1

Anyone ever tried the "oil spill" granules that could possible then be vacuumed up?

I have found them very good on workshop floors where they can be spread about over the spill and then swept up and shoveled away, not so sure in the bilge of a boat where they can't swept up so easily.

I asked a similar question on here back in the day.

A couple of people suggested cat litter in pillow cases.

Don't. Just don't! I've never tried anything less successful! None of the oily/watery bilge gunge penetrated the pillow case and I just ended up with oily watery pillow cases full of dry cat litter.

And an engine bilge still full of gloop.

I asked a similar question on here back in the day.

A couple of people suggested cat litter in pillow cases.

Don't. Just don't! I've never tried anything less successful! None of the oily/watery bilge gunge penetrated the pillow case and I just ended up with oily watery pillow cases full of dry cat litter.

And an engine bilge still full of gloop.

Thanks for that Mike. I think I'm going to try out the pukka PIG mats White for the water and Grey for the diesel and oils, also looking at getting one of those devices mross pointed too.

Lots of useful info given in this thread, all have to wait until after Christmas when I can start sorcing them, hope to report back then on my findings.

Funnily enough, I've had one of these for about 15 years and finally got around to using it for the first time yesterday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-3659-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-6Ltr-/112204486983?hash=item1a1fe89947:g:oPYAAOSwgApXDMqe

It got some crud out from the bottom of my fuel tank with no trouble (quite reassuring - there was little in there), and also helped me to change the coolant

in the engine and skin tank with very little spillage.

I was about to come on here enthusing about how useful it is, but looks like I've been beaten to it. I haven't tried it for the engine oil though as there's

no need to, the engine (Beta B43) having its own pump.

All of the suggestions have their place and I've used them all. Pela, oil absorbing sheets, children's nappies (at my age it would be too embarrassing to buy adult ones), old towels and cat litter (never again). In my opinion the best single thing for removing oily water from the engine bilge is a wet & dry vac.

Frank

All of the suggestions have their place and I've used them all. Pela, oil absorbing sheets, children's nappies (at my age it would be too embarrassing to buy adult ones), old towels and cat litter (never again). In my opinion the best single thing for removing oily water from the engine bilge is a wet & dry vac.

Frank

Agreed,then a light layer of Wood Shavings/Sawdust,push them around with a Dry Mop and remove with Wet Vac.

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

Agreed,then a light layer of Wood Shavings/Sawdust,push them around with a Dry Mop and remove with Wet Vac.

CT

I did point out in my original post that, as a ccer, a Wet Vac was not an option However on a broader note it's certainly has value in being pointed out to those without similar restrictions to myself.

I have found this thread of great value and know which gizmo I will be giving myself as a belated Christmas Present, just go to find a source for the one pointed out by Mrross that will deliver to Argos.

Again many thanks for all the useful info

I have a 12V wet & dry vac. Pretty useless but if the OP is near Reading I will give it to him.

Appreciate the generous offer Tony but I have donated all of my 12v Vacs to the dustbin.

I did have a full size Wet and Dry at one time but sold it on with my Router and router table, useful kit but took a bit to much space

Again appreciate the offer

I did point out in my original post that, as a ccer, a Wet Vac was not an option However on a broader note it's certainly has value in being pointed out to those without similar restrictions to myself.

I have found this thread of great value and know which gizmo I will be giving myself as a belated Christmas Present, just go to find a source for the one pointed out by Mrross that will deliver to Argos.

Again many thanks for all the useful info

Well do shop around! The TP69 is available on eBay for £35 which is half what I paid. Good luck.

Well do shop around! The TP69 is available on eBay for £35 which is half what I paid. Good luck.

Went for this one which appears to be a pure Sealey branded job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-TP69P-Vacuum-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-Manual-6-5ltr-/332046708659?hash=item4d4f86afb3:g:r0EAAOSwa~BYPCui

The TP69P replaces the TP69

The lower priced TP69, circa £ 35-40 Appear to be copy jobs so not going to risk them