Welcome to Lancashire

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

The County boundary crosses the canal just east of Bridge 158, so logically that should be the one.

You don't mean this one, do you? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edited to say I found several pictures of Bridge 158, but no sign.

post-4862-0-99287700-1481474859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

It's 149. I used the info in your post to do a Google search and found this.

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=15829755-5743-4fcd-aae8-7b11c38c45ff

The sign has always ticked me, as there is no corresponding sign on the other side of the bridge welcoming boaters to Yorkshire. It's as if they're saying 'Bugger off and play down your own end!'

Thanks for your help.

TR

According to my phone I took a photo of the sign whilst heading north between bridge 72A, the A6, and bridge 73 Giles Bridge near Chorley. attachicon.gifWelcome.jpg

I wonder if there are two of these signs then, one at either end?

The one I have seen is for sure on the Yorkshire and Lancashire border.

You learn something new, eh?

TR

How very odd. I am Lancashire through and through, or Lancastrian as they say up that way. The picture shows a white rose but I always thought Lancashire was the red rose county with Yorkshire being white. Someone is being very naughty.

The red and white roses represent the houses of Lancaster and York, not the actual counties. Clearly they have been adopted as symbols in things like cricket, but that is not the real meaning.

So why is there a sign at Bridge 149? Wouldn't that put Barnoldswick in Yorkshire? Or is it waiting to make sure that you're not going to turn round and go back now that you've seen what Lancashire is like?

An interesting point but it was at bridge 149 when I passed last month, there is also a border marker nearby (post above). As Barnoldswick was in Yorkshire prior to the 1974 reorg maybe it's the old border and CaRT haven't moved the signs.

Edited by Martin Megson

Hi All,

can anyone tell me where on the Leeds and Liverpool, is the sign that says 'Welcome to Lancashire'?

Do you know the bridge number where I can find that sign?

Thanks

TR

From my collection, just know that it was somewhere near Ormskirk

1411%20Liverpool%20To%20Ormskirk%208th%2

Tim

How very odd. I am Lancashire through and through, or Lancastrian as they say up that way. The picture shows a white rose but I always thought Lancashire was the red rose county with Yorkshire being white. Someone is being very naughty.

No I think it's just lost its red colour. Not many people realise that the Yorkshire and Lancashire roses are different shapes as well as different colours.

Red rose being best of course....