Right turn Clyde.

p6rob

Featured Posts

I'm taking my 40ft narrow boat back into Brum tomorrow and will be turning right from the North Stratford onto the Birmingham and Worcester, it's roughly an 85degree turn from a fairly wide, shallow sided, junction into a narrow bridge hole.

I've done this manoeuvre about eight times now and either hit the bridge or piling every single time. It looks like it should just about be doable in one smooth action, but to date I've not got it right. I can make the turn smoothly in the opposite direction.

Link to google image

Should I give up trying to get through in one shot?

Rob

looking at the google image I wouldn't think twice about getting my 42 footer into there (I suspect I could just about turn the boat through 360 degrees without reversing in the space)

could it be that you are trying to take the turn too slowly and losing a good deal of your steering as a result?

I know with my boat that I can approach tight turns slowly and as soon as the boat is turning slightly wind the power on and the boat will turn almost on the spot without gaining any real forwards movement.

I've done it with a 55 footer a few times, but usually travelling in the opposite direction (towards Stratford).

It is tight, though, and I usually end up on the extreme right of the channel, where it's very shallow.

I think that going towards Brum you'd have to get as far over to the left as you can before you start the turn.

I don't recall having an issue making that turn in a 57ft narrowboat. I've done it a few times, my approach is slow right down, move across to the left of the channel and start the turn. The key is when youthink you aren't going to make it are you brave enough to wind the power on and go for it rather than trying to back out. As soon as you try to back out you will hit the wall but winding the power on and still not making it will give a far more spectacular collision with the wall.

It'll be even tighter now because CART have placed protection around the off side bridge abutment becuse it has been hit so many times that the bridge is in threat of collapsing. That was said by a chap from CART who was working on the protection when I was there couple of months ago!

I make it around every time I do that turn and I am in a 70 footer, and before anyone else suggests it, No! it was without the bow thruster.

I have been waiting on that corner a few times due because of traffic and it always astounds me the speed that most boats negotiate that blind spot!

As is nearly always the case, it is your speed that prevents you bow from rounding to the starboard from that direction.

Slow down and ease over to your port side, not too much, because it is quite shallow there!

If, in the case of you not being able to complete the turn to get under the bridge try a touch of reverse but keep the tiller over to port, that should slow the boat down a tad but keep the bow swinging in the direction of the bridge!

The secret is not to be going fast and do it all slowly!!

Hope this makes some sort of sense?

Nipper

I do agree the point about approaching slowly - remember that as part of doing the turn you have to get rid of all your forward momentum, and sideways resistance from the water is the only way to do that (unless you have a BT).

I find a bit of mild reverse, mixed with forward and hard over rudder, can help in this sort of turn, where space is tight.

I do agree the point about approaching slowly - remember that as part of doing the turn you have to get rid of all your forward momentum, and sideways resistance from the water is the only way to do that (unless you have a BT).

I find a bit of mild reverse, mixed with forward and hard over rudder, can help in this sort of turn, where space is tight.

Beat me to it -- why not use all the controls at your disposal!

Agree with all of the above.

Done the turn quite a few times, 51' boat, but only managed a 'round in one go' once.

It always seems easier doing the left turn from the Brum direction onto the Stratford.

Thats probably due to the propwalk!

Most boats propellors turn clockwise when looking from the stern.

Without getting into technical stuff, the propellor has a tendancy to walk the stern around to the starboard going forward and to port going astern, hence my post " a touch of astern will help the bow go around towards the bridge in question!

Nipper

I don't recall having an issue making that turn in a 57ft narrowboat. I've done it a few times, my approach is slow right down, move across to the left of the channel and start the turn. The key is when youthink you aren't going to make it are you brave enough to wind the power on and go for it rather than trying to back out. As soon as you try to back out you will hit the wall but winding the power on and still not making it will give a far more spectacular collision with the wall.

It's exactly how I attempted it last time, however I got it very wrong and hit the offside of the bridge.

It'll be even tighter now because CART have placed protection around the off side bridge abutment becuse it has been hit so many times that the bridge is in threat of collapsing. That was said by a chap from CART who was working on the protection when I was there couple of months ago!

I make it around every time I do that turn and I am in a 70 footer, and before anyone else suggests it, No! it was without the bow thruster.

I have been waiting on that corner a few times due because of traffic and it always astounds me the speed that most boats negotiate that blind spot!

As is nearly always the case, it is your speed that prevents you bow from rounding to the starboard from that direction.

Slow down and ease over to your port side, not too much, because it is quite shallow there!

If, in the case of you not being able to complete the turn to get under the bridge try a touch of reverse but keep the tiller over to port, that should slow the boat down a tad but keep the bow swinging in the direction of the bridge!

The secret is not to be going fast and do it all slowly!!

Hope this makes some sort of sense?

Nipper

Yes it all makes sense. Not sure I should admit it, but it was two or three months ago when I last made the turn. I do hope I didn't cause too much damage.

So, the consensus is, it is doable. I'll have another go tomorrow.

Apologies in advance to CRT.

Rob

Made that turn many times, 50ft boat, always get round in one go.

Get right over to the left and go very slowly and put some power as you make the turn so the boat turns on its self and as long as you time it correctly it should not be too hard. Watch for is being shallow and if I remember correctly a lot of tree roots on the left at the end of the Stratford.

Probably a confidence thing. Having cocked it up once, you're worrying about it and going into it half heartedly would-be my guess. Having said that, whilst I've been round there plenty of times without an issue, I didn't know there was an issue - so I might not make it either now you've mentioned it! :D

I'm taking my 40ft narrow boat back into Brum tomorrow and will be turning right from the North Stratford onto the Birmingham and Worcester, it's roughly an 85degree turn from a fairly wide, shallow sided, junction into a narrow bridge hole.

I've done this manoeuvre about eight times now and either hit the bridge or piling every single time. It looks like it should just about be doable in one smooth action, but to date I've not got it right. I can make the turn smoothly in the opposite direction.

Link to google image

Should I give up trying to get through in one shot?

Rob

My boat is 70' and draws 31", I have never failed to get round in either direction but nor have I ever attempted to make the turn in a single sweep.

I have the boat completely stopped, put the tiller hard over and give a short burst of power. This gets the boat swinging round in (almost) its own length but I'm ready to use some reverse if there is any doubt about making it. It is too shallow there to take any risks.

Well that was another failure!

Also discovered that; if having power on I put my boat into reverse with the tiller hard over, it straightens back up way before it slows.

A week or so ago, while running the engine to charge the batteries, the fan belt snapped and I didn't hear or notice anything amiss for some time. It was long enough for the engine to get near boiling and since then I've struggled to start the engine without resorting to easy start. Once running it seemed fine but this trip into Brum was the first proper run with a load, since. It got a bit warm while idling past moored vessels at Lyons Boats, but seemed to run fine otherwise.

Anyway today, with the benefit of daylight ,I discovered the connecting wire between #1 and #2 glowplug had pulled out of the crimp lug. So, only one cylinder was getting pre-heated. With that cured, the engine started in it's normal reliable fashion. That's a relief! I guess when I changed the fan belt, I must have dislodged the wire.

Now, do I do something sensible and fit a buzzer to warn against fan belt failure, or, when I next notice the fan belt looks a bit ropey, instead of chancing it, fit a replacement right away.

Rob

I've done that turn many times in our 70ft boat and can usually manage it in one heading into Birmingham by doing as others say and slowing almost to a stop and keeping over to the left.

Coming from the other direction though I've never managed it! Always find the front is nearly in the bank before the back end is clear the bridge enough to go hard over. Even worse when the wind is in the wrong direction.

Maybe 'pump' the tiller a bit and do it all nice and slow till you are pretty sure it will go and then a bit of power will get it round. Too much enthusiasm will result in a big clang and brickdust all over the place.

Well that was another failure!

Now, do I do something sensible and fit a buzzer to warn against fan belt failure, or, when I next notice the fan belt looks a bit ropey, instead of chancing it, fit a replacement right away.

Rob

Bet it wasnt as bad as this bugger which went two weeks ago...

20161127_170356_zpsbwdbhhbq.jpg

I find that corner far easier with a push pull gear rather than a morso or similar. You can keep the engine speed and give it bursts of forward /reverse to keep the boat swinging round.

with your engine temperature, sounds like you still have an air bubble that needs bleeding somewhere, possibly skin tank.