winterizing our narrow boat

Featured Posts

Hi all tried to drain water out of all our narrow boat hot water tank and pipes but could not get it to come out of the hot water tank , i opened the drain cock at the bottom of the hot water cylinder but only a few drips and opened the taps to let air in but nothing confused now . do i what do i have to do please getting a bit concerned about these freezing nights and its only December Thanks any help would be appreciated

Perhaps there's a non-return valve on the calorifier outlet? As you suspect, there's an airlock holding the water in. OR the drain valve isn't actually opening. If it's a gate valve it is possible for the gate to wedge in place and then the threads strip and turning the handwheel does nothing. But, if this happens, you can usually feel the slackness. Can you push a pencil through the drain valve?

Hi all tried to drain water out of all our narrow boat hot water tank and pipes but could not get it to come out of the hot water tank , i opened the drain cock at the bottom of the hot water cylinder but only a few drips and opened the taps to let air in but nothing confused now . do i what do i have to do please getting a bit concerned about these freezing nights and its only December Thanks any help would be appreciated

If its a Surecal there is a non return valve in the bottom fitting which stops it draining.

Don't know if this is any use but it is what we do with our boat:

CALORIFIER

TO DRAIN DOWN

Empty tank by leaving taps open until water runs out. Shut off valve to the left of the water tank in the front locker in the cratch.

Switch off water pump.

TO EMPTY CALORIFIER

Locate white wheel to left of calorifier tank. Turn this wheel until blue stripe indicator mark is in line with pipe. Open bath taps. Remove shower head, lift shower valve and blow down shower tube – air pressure forces water down pipe into the bilge.

Shut off stop cock in front locker in cratch.

TO REFILL CALORIFIER

Close white wheel valve. i.e. blue stripe mark is at right angles to pipe.

Refill both tanks if empty.

Open valve and stop cock in front locker.

With all taps closed run water pump until it stops. Check it does not restart – this proves there are no leaks in the system.

Open hot water tap in galley – furthest tap from calorifier, to allow “flow through and eliminate air in calorifier.

Edited by Ray T

Don't know if this is any use but it is what we do with our boat:

CALORIFIER

TO DRAIN DOWN

Empty tank by leaving taps open until water runs out. Shut off valve to the left of the water tank in the front locker in the cratch.

Switch off water pump.

TO EMPTY CALORIFIER

Locate white wheel to left of calorifier tank. Turn this wheel until blue stripe indicator mark is in line with pipe. Open bath taps. Remove shower head, lift shower valve and blow down shower tube – air pressure forces water down pipe into the bilge.

Shut off stop cock in front locker in cratch.

TO REFILL CALORIFIER

Close white wheel valve. i.e. blue stripe mark is at right angles to pipe.

Refill both tanks if empty.

Open valve and stop cock in front locker.

With all taps closed run water pump until it stops. Check it does not restart – this proves there are no leaks in the system.

Open hot water tap in galley – furthest tap from calorifier, to allow “flow through and eliminate air in calorifier.

I don't have a 'white wheel' what should I do????......................................

Where is it?

Ours was inside the boat under one of the bunks. We never drained the calorifier and never had a problem even during a couple of really cold spells.

How did you intend to ' dispose' if the water? Did you fix a hose to the drain tap and if so where did you lead it? Was the end of the hose above the level of the water in the calorifier? If so water won't flow Sorry if the questions are pretty basic but we all get mental blocks .

In my case I run the hose from the drain tap to the outside world and pump the water out using an in line electric pump.

Frank.

Where is it?

Ours was inside the boat under one of the bunks. We never drained the calorifier and never had a problem even during a couple of really cold spells.

My first winter. But the previous owner had the boat 15 years and recons there's no need to drain the calorifier (inside boat in a wardrobe).

I think a calorifier being insulated is like a garden tap. If the temperature stays below freezing all day or for several days, it will freeze. The insulation will protect is if the temperature cycles above and below freezing as long as the average is above freezing. My bathroom hovers around freezing so I have left the immersion on. My engine room stays well above but that may be because the sensor there is at head height and the bathroom sensor is about two foot above the floor.

And for those who have an instantaneous gas hot water heater, like Morco, Rinnai, Paloma, Vailant. Drain em if leaving the boat unheated. Their heat exchangers are very thin and they can freeze up and burst very easily. Everyone should have one though, they're brilliant.

Edited by bizzard

And for those who have an instantaneous gas hot water heater, like Morco, Rinnai, Paloma, Vailant. Drain em if leaving the boat unheated. Their heat exchangers are very thin and they can freeze up and burst very easily. Everyone should have one though, they're brilliant.

Normally the first thing to fail I have been told