White Ensign

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Apparently the new Scottish fiver has just the faintest trace of haggis in it and therefore should not be accepted south of the border (except perhaps in the bar of London Scottish FC).

I got one in my change the other day, did seam to smell much but prettier than the English one.

post-261-0-20399600-1481045519_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-20067800-1481045536_thumb.jpg

Merchant shipping Act 1995 Section 1 :

And relevant bit of Section 2

Qualified owner appears to be

although I haven't tracked down the actual regulation.

Not sure where that leaves the Jolly Roger cheers.gif

And the bit that defines a narrowboat as a "ship" is where?

It's a boat. No flag required. But then I don't feel the need to blazon my or my family's names (or the location of my home mooring) all over the side either.

I got one in my change the other day, did seam to smell much but prettier than the English one.

I got out a powerful magnifying glass to examine one of those the other day. Absolutely fascinating. All sorts of unexpected things.

Edited to say that the lady portrayed, Nan Shepherd, was a neighbour of Mrs Mac's when she was growing up in Aberdeen.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I got out a powerful magnifying glass to examine one of those the other day. Absolutely fascinating. All sorts of unexpected things.

Edited to say that the lady portrayed, Nan Shepherd, was a neighbour of Mrs Mac's when she was growing up in Aberdeen.

...and there was me thinking that it was a flattering portrait of Nicola. Are those sturgeons on the backside?

...and there was me thinking that it was a flattering portrait of Nicola. Are those sturgeons on the backside?

No, they're salmon, I think. Each has £5 in its eye. I have one of Nan Shepherd's books, 'The Living Mountain', but it's not my sort of thing.

Edited to say, no, they're mackerel. Lots about the detail here . There's a midge somewhere!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

And the bit that defines a narrowboat as a "ship" is where?

It's a boat. No flag required. But then I don't feel the need to blazon my or my family's names (or the location of my home mooring) all over the side either.

Quite right -no flag is required, but if an owner chooses to wear a flag then wear the correct one as laid down in the MSA.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Well, nowhere of course. It was a flag flown by pirates, and they each had their own

Unless you are a RN submarine

HMS_Utmost_-1-.jpg

Richard

Great photo. You can see the team sprit. No officers in the piccy though. Edited by Nightwatch

Of course (further to posts 103 and 110 above) all submarines in the RN are referred to as 'boats', even the dirty great Trident jobs.

Edited to remove a spurious parenthesis

You also have Tug Boats, some of them are very large indeed.

Unfortunately that is incorrect as far as I am aware. The pilot jack used to signal that the vessel required an English speaking pilot, but is now defunct. The DBA made enquiries about 15 years ago about its use by members' craft when cruising and got official confirmation that that was now acceptable. There was no restriction that it would only be when moored or at anchor.

They were flown in the 1920s[

R%20DAF_zps3pfbm6j9.jpg

Edited by Dalesman

You also have Tug Boats, some of them are very large indeed.

I think like many things the term tug boats is one imported from across the pond in recent years. I much prefer just to call tugs..... tugs!

As for train station!!!!!judge.gif

Howard

Howard

That term grated on me at first, too - yet another Americanism, I thought. They are Railway Stations, dammit!

But then, we refer to a "bus station", not a "road station" (as the French do: gare routiere), so train station is logical. Still don't like it particularly.

That term grated on me at first, too - yet another Americanism, I thought. They are Railway Stations, dammit!

But then, we refer to a "bus station", not a "road station" (as the French do: gare routiere), so train station is logical. Still don't like it particularly.

They are "railway stations", or (if no ambiguity) simply "stations". Bus stations were so named to distinguish them from stations, not the other way around. How many Station Roads lead to a bus station?

Isn't the "routiere" part a reference to road travel as opposed to rail travel? I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "gare du chemin de fer".

Long may it so continue.

Edited by Machpoint005
  • Greenie 1

Unless somebody has said this before in this thread -

A ship is a vessel that carries (or can carry) a boat

A boat cannot / doesn't carry another boat.

Hence 'boat' for a submarine and so on.

Um, so what about the Cockleshell heroes (canoes launched from a submarine, for a commando raid in France in WW2).

And I quite often have a kayak on the roof, does that make me a narrow ship not a narrow boat?

Isn't the "routiere" part a reference to road travel as opposed to rail travel?

Of course.

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "gare du chemin de fer".

I'm not.

French people may refer to the railway station as simply "La gare", but they frequently call it "La gare S.N.C.F." - French National Railway station.

Edited by Athy

Unless somebody has said this before in this thread -

A ship is a vessel that carries (or can carry) a boat

A boat cannot / doesn't carry another boat.

Hence 'boat' for a submarine and so on.

I understood that a boat was a submarine and everything else was a target. (Apologies if this has already been said)