Maid of Oak for Sale....

Featured Posts

Fancy a wooden hulled boat, but one built recently...

http://apolloduck.net/485478

I think this was the subject of an article in one of the boatimags when it was built, which can't be that long ago. It's a handsome boat (more inside than out - from the photos, the paint job doesn't do it any favours).

It must be heartbreaking for the couple to have to sell her. The advert suggests that they aren't very well.

I think this was the subject of an article in one of the boatimags when it was built, which can't be that long ago. It's a handsome boat (more inside than out - from the photos, the paint job doesn't do it any favours).

It must be heartbreaking for the couple to have to sell her. The advert suggests that they aren't very well.

it was in either Canal boat or Waterway world as one of the featured boats yes.

I've actually seen it in the flesh a couple of times and it looks very nice.

Previous thread about the sale of Maid of Oak.

Perhaps worth merging the two threads?

Yes - clearly I missed that - I did a search but only on titles, rolleyes.gif

Edited by MJG

it was in either Canal boat or Waterway world as one of the featured boats yes.

I've actually seen it in the flesh a couple of times and it looks very nice.

Yes - clearly I missed that - I did a search but only on titles, rolleyes.gif

Waterways World 2006

Waterways World 2006

Cheers.

That was indeed back when we used to buy it. (Our boat featured in it that year too though we didn't know at the time it would end up being our boat)

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/image.phtml?id=485478&ximage=328328

I can't see why the advertiser make's a fuss over Two flushing cassette toilets and two calorifers?? Mind you it won the best engine room in local boat club competition! It must be that brand new Isuzu that was fitted to a brand new boat, unlike most new boats that are fitted with reconditioned old commercial engines LOL.

I wonder if the sellers are the original owners of this unique boat? If so I should imagine the oak hull was not cheap, I have to say it, who in their right mind would buy this boat? Sounds like an expensive mistake going for oak and not steel.

Edited by Northernboater

I'm sorry to say this about a unique craftsman-built modern boat, but those photos suggest that something doesn't look quite right about MOO. I think it may just be the paint job: those black panels do her no favours.

I'm sorry to say this about a unique craftsman-built modern boat, but those photos suggest that something doesn't look quite right about MOO. I think it may just be the paint job: those black panels do her no favours.

Though they weren't like that originally, they were in a natural wood colour in the main and the cabin side was nicely sihn written. So I am not sure why they have over painted them as it does the boat no favours agreed.

328330.jpg

Edited by MJG

You must have passed me ...lovely day isn't it.

Yes lovely. Moored near Kings Bromley tonight. Ice at Tixall was 6 or 7mm thick, but we waited til 10.20 when it was 3 or 4mm. Was clear once we crossed the aqueduct before Great Haywood junction.

If you saw us, we had our GSD stood on the stern.

Cheers

Mike

Didn't you shout at him for breaking ice

All 3mm of it. Only 500 yards in total it turned out, but Tixall was beautiful this morning.

Yes, she doesn't appeal to us. Doesn't look good value for money, at first glance, but other posts suggest the inside is very well fitted.

post-15003-0-14964700-1480866062_thumb.jpeg

It also surely has one of the ugliest pram hoods ever attached to a narrow boat?

(Sorry, but it just has!).

Yes indeed, it looks as if it was made for something else and has been tied on s an afterthought. But I don't suppose that the hood stays up while the boat is moving, and when she's moored, I suppose keeping the rain out is more important than looking pretty..

Even so, they would be wise not to have it in position when prospective buyers come to view MOO.

you know what, you lot and I are talking about a different Maid of Oak, and the one I am talking about is on sale at charity dock.

I hadnt read the start of this thread and only posted after passing it today after lunchtime(for those who stop for lunch)

There is another Maid of Oak, probably 45-50 ft long, wooden hull, planked wood top with inset windows.

I didnt take a photo for some reason!!!!

sorry

• 2 weeks later...

you know what, you lot and I are talking about a different Maid of Oak, and the one I am talking about is on sale at charity dock.

I hadnt read the start of this thread and only posted after passing it today after lunchtime(for those who stop for lunch)

There is another Maid of Oak, probably 45-50 ft long, wooden hull, planked wood top with inset windows.

I didnt take a photo for some reason!!!!

sorry

Pleased you typed the above! i saw a "maid of oak" last year on my travels not 100% sure of where but it looked rough as buggery and certainly not anything like a 2006 build or a £60k boat ! ... thinking back it could have een the Ashy or Coventry so charity dock makes sense.

Rick