Heating boat while not on board

wullie

Featured Posts

I think that the panel type heater as per Kev's post above is probably safer than a fan heater.

I use plug-in thermostats both for frost protection and room temperature control when I'm on the boat.

You can get combined timer / thermostats - buy decent quality ones. Some offer a 3 -year warranty, which gives a little more confidence.

If the fan heater has a thermostat the timer is irrelevant; otherwise you are effectively saying for example that you don't want it to freeze at night but you don't mind it freezing during the day. Make sure the one you use has also an overheat sensor which will cut the power if the fan fails or slows (these are not usually resettable but if the fan has failed you might as well throw it away anyway).

I have an oil filled rad like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/hd943-7tq-oil-filled-radiator-with-timer-600-1200-1500w/1724p

I leave it on minimum setting overnight. The boat was just nicely above freezing this morning when I went to check it.

On shore power I use a thermostatically controlled oil-filled radiator set at 5 or 6C on a medium power setting. There are plenty to choose from at Argos. Before anyone says, no they are not deemed dedicated marine equipment by insurance companies, but as far as I'm concerned the chances of one causing a fire is insignificant compared to fan heaters, etc. If you buy one make sure it is thermostatically controlled.

Edited by blackrose

I have an oil filled rad like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/hd943-7tq-oil-filled-radiator-with-timer-600-1200-1500w/1724p

I leave it on minimum setting overnight. The boat was just nicely above freezing this morning when I went to check it.

How is the temp control on that one? Mechanical control is better than digital in one way because if there happens to be a power cut a digitally controlled heater won't come back on when power is restored, whereas a mechanically controlled heater will.

However I have a 1kw mechanically controlled electric oil-filled rad and even at the lowest temperature setting it comes on at about 8C which is too high so it wastes power.

Edited by blackrose

Best thing I invested in was a mobile triggered switch at about £60 for the Eberbastard for when I was going away in winter.

It allowed me to switch the Eber on from a restaurant in Venice when I saw that the temps were going to go subzero in the Rugby area overnight.

The solar means that the electric is happy(came home to 97% SOC today)

It also means I can have hot water ready when I finish work, can turn it on 30 minutes before I get home.

So where dose that energy go.

I don't understand what you ask. The energy for the fan goes into moving air around. But you don't need a fan on a convector heater such as a radiator Which is a misnomer because house radiators are actually convectors. My point is that the fan is not necessaryy and adds to the risks. (and cost of electricity)

I don't understand what you ask. The energy for the fan goes into moving air around. But you don't need a fan on a convector heater such as a radiator Which is a misnomer because house radiators are actually convectors. My point is that the fan is not necessaryy and adds to the risks. (and cost of electricity)

Surly it goes in heat ?

Best thing I invested in was a mobile triggered switch at about £60 for the Eberbastard for when I was going away in winter.

It allowed me to switch the Eber on from a restaurant in Venice when I saw that the temps were going to go subzero in the Rugby area overnight.

The solar means that the electric is happy(came home to 97% SOC today)

It also means I can have hot water ready when I finish work, can turn it on 30 minutes before I get home.

All assuming the eberspacher starts and runs of course, which given their reputation and speaking from experience of them, is not a sure thing.

Edited by blackrose

How is the temp control on that one? Mechanical control is better than digital in one way because if there happens to be a power cut a digitally controlled heater won't come back on when power is restored, whereas a mechanically controlled heater will.

However I have a 1kw mechanically controlled electric oil-filled rad and even at the lowest temperature setting it comes on at about 8C which is too high so it wastes power.

Haven't measured it, but at minimum setting seems to come on around 5°C. It has a tilt switch and an internal stat to control the heater temp as well as the external stat.

All assuming the eberspacher starts and runs of course, which given their reputation and speaking from experience of them, is not a sure thing.

In Mercia this year, we are not allowed to run Webasto type heaters between 11 at night and 6 in the morning, so a silent oil filled is better when not on the boat to keep the Squirrel stoked. Electricity is cheaper than diesel, too, isn't it?

Haven't measured it, but at minimum setting seems to come on around 5°C. It has a tilt switch and an internal stat to control the heater temp as well as the external stat.

In Mercia this year, we are not allowed to run Webasto type heaters between 11 at night and 6 in the morning, so a silent oil filled is better when not on the boat to keep the Squirrel stoked. Electricity is cheaper than diesel, too, isn't it?

Electric is about twice the price in day to day running, how ever that doesn't include maintenance or purchase price, etc., electric is near enough zero maintenance, where diesel isn't

You also have to factor in that your electric feed may not be reliable and is limited so may not be suitable for "heating the boat", more for taking a chill off.

Edited by Robbo

Something that works well daily for 14 years and then gives me a months warning that it needs replacing isn't bad going for me.