Water Flow Sensor

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Musing with a friend last night who has a raw water cooled engine in his freeman cruiser we just wondered if there was any way of fitting some form of sensor to the water outlet side of the engine to warn of of restricted flow/water blockage ( something he has had an issue with in the past)

I have browsed google and came up with a myriad of sensors but none of which made sense

So over to the hive for ideas and suggestions

Chris

Musing with a friend last night who has a raw water cooled engine in his freeman cruiser we just wondered if there was any way of fitting some form of sensor to the water outlet side of the engine to warn of of restricted flow/water blockage ( something he has had an issue with in the past)

I have browsed google and came up with a myriad of sensors but none of which made sense

Chris

Have an Exhaust Temp. sensor for onboard Raw water cooled Generator,it shuts off the Engine at 50 degrees centigrade.

Simple BI-metallic type so could be used to operate a warning lamp or buzzer

CT

Chris

I added a float switch on our Yanmar raw water cooled engine a few years ago. It sounded an audible alarm when there was no flow from the impeller driven water pump. I fitted it because due to a blocked inlet, the vetus waterlock overheated and failed. Luckily no damage to the engine.

It worked for a number of years, but recently has stopped working, and I haven't got round to investigate.

It was a similar idea to this:-

http://www.pbo.co.uk/practical-projects/diy-engine-cooling-water-alarm-26699

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1