Boat licence numbers

jellybeano

Featured Posts

They go on chronologically, but have not always done so. Licence numbers were introduced about 1980, so I assume that boats already extant were numbered willy-nilly. I am unsure of the '80s numbering system: some boats had a 5-figure number starting with 4, others a 5-figure number starting with 7, and I don't remember which came first.

An exception to the modern chronological system is if a boat has begun its life moored on non-CART waters. For example, our own boat was launched in 2006 but spent her first few years on the Middle Level. Then, about 2010, we took her to the Oxford Canal and she didn't receive her CART index number (518430) until then. So, other boats with adjacent numbers are about four years younger.

Our boat was built and registered in 1996 and has a 5 digit licence number beginning with a 5. But there are boats registered before 1996 which have 6 digit numbers.

I've been told that over the years BWW kept changing their system and ours was a time that they'd decided to go back and use some previously un-issued ones.

Not sure if this is true.

Our boat was built and registered in 1996 and has a 5 digit licence number beginning with a 5. But there are boats registered before 1996 which have 6 digit numbers.

I've been told that over the years BWW kept changing their system and ours was a time that they'd decided to go back and use some previously un-issued ones.

Not sure if this is true.

Probably not!

It just so happens that 1995 was the year where BW decided to switch from 5 digit sequences to 6 digit sequences. If your boat index number is between 54395 and 55000 it was probably issued in the earlier part of 1995, but if it was between 500010 and 500398 it was probably issued in the latter part of the year.

Since 1995, I think the numbers on metal plates have only ever increased, although it is possible to get an old number that a boat once carried reissued for it in some circumstances.

Just in passing....our new boat licensed by C&RT in May last year was given the number beginning with 118---. Quite a few people have asked us if C&RT has started re-issuing numbers, but the answer is we don't know.

Is the index number on stick on plastic rather than a metal embossed plate? There certainly used to be completely different sequences for each.

Just in passing....our new boat licensed by C&RT in May last year was given the number beginning with 118---. Quite a few people have asked us if C&RT has started re-issuing numbers, but the answer is we don't know.

Is it a six figure number and does it end with 118? Do you wear red and white striped old fashioned running outfits? Hmmmm?

A lot of boats get brought off other non CRT waters to be sold at our marina. Some of the more recent imports are now sporting 6 CRT digit numbers starting 118. I'm fairly sure there was one at the weekend with a number starting 119, so maybe they have run out of 118 numbers now.

Our boat was registered with CRT in 2003 and received its number 111623. Have they just issued numbers in sequence since then?