Any Old Iron? Scrap values.

Featured Posts

I too would be interested in information - solely because they hardly ever do seem to expire, with the exception of old wooden boats. I did see a steel-and-rust n/b cut up at Fox's about three years ago, but more often people have work done on them to prolong their active life, as far as I can see.

The owner had not been seen for a number of years and had not paid his yard fees either. The hull was too far gone to be repaired and the wooden top was held together by the woodworm holding hands. So it was broken up.

The owner had not been seen for a number of years and had not paid his yard fees either. The hull was too far gone to be repaired and the wooden top was held together by the woodworm holding hands. So it was broken up.

biggrin.png

The one I'm thinking of was a shortish Springer which had rusted all the way round the waterline. Same one?

I didn't realise that stainless scrap was so relatively valuable up there with lead.

Should see the price our local scrappy pay's for our time expired, mutilated, turbine wheels(Nimonic Alloy).

Pay's for the companys' Christmas piss up year after year.

Edited by Mutts

Where did you get these figures from? These two are well out, so I assume the others are too?

Daily prices on t'net.

You go figure

Where did you get these figures from? These two are well out, so I assume the others are too?

And we all know what they say about "assumption"

The gold prices would depend a lot on who you were selling it to and what carat. When we had the jewellers the professional gold merchants were paying us at least twice what the people who advertise as buying scarp gold paid.

EDIT: To add you would get better prices if selling larger quantities rather than an 10 or 20 g

Edited by Jerra

Very strange. Posting a bunch of incorrect information, refusing to say where you got it from and laughing at me for asking.

Go and read my post. As I said current prices off the internet.

Or do you need help in understanding that as well?

Edited by Dave_P

Go and read my post . As I said current prices off the internet.

Or do you need help in understanding that as well?

Obviously you got them from the internet. I would have thought it obvious that I was asking from where on the internet, like what website or company was posting those prices.

Saying the source of your info is 'the internet' is like claiming the source of some info was 'a book' or ''a documentary'. It tells us nothing.

Are you this rude to everyone?

Thanks.

Well now we know who not to sell our scrap to as the prices they publish are all incorrect.

Edited by Dave_P

Well now we know who not to sell our scrap to as the prices they publish are all incorrect.

I am not sure that you can state they are wrong, there is AFAIK no control over what price gold sells for. I think what you mean to say is that better prices can be found easily elsewhere.

So maybe the question should be how much a decent boat in need of overplating is worth? Not that this is currently an issue, thank goodness.

If I was wealthy with large grounds, I'd love to buy some nice old narrowboats with decent interiors, but condemned hulls, and sink them in the lawn as guest accommodation! (A lot of old houses in Essex have moats, so that might even be better!)

post-261-0-21404500-1480358358_thumb.jpg

Obviously you got them from the internet. I would have thought it obvious that I was asking from where on the internet, like what website or company was posting those prices.

Saying the source of your info is 'the internet' is like claiming the source of some info was 'a book' or ''a documentary'. It tells us nothing.

Are you this rude to everyone?

Thanks.

No !

Edited by Dave_P

biggrin.png

The one I'm thinking of was a shortish Springer which had rusted all the way round the waterline. Same one?

The one I was thinking off was next to the shower block and had been brought by an Pole to do up to live on. As to the springer the bows were cut off and welded to a new baseplate, sides, stern and cabin. Classed as a restored boat rather than a new build.

As a part owner of a boat, I'm interested in what happens when it finally expires and goes to the great mooring post in the sky. What value does the boat have?

It's a 65' boat in good condition, with base plate of around 6mm at last inspection and sides of around 7mm. It's in generally good condition, with a 3-cylinder Lister. It is over 30 years old, with original interior fittings.

Currently it's valued over £30,000.

So, if one day (hopefully many years or decades away) it failed its inspection / insurance check, what would the mortal remains be worth? Or would they be swallowed up by craneage and storage charges!

At the risk of being boring and staying on topic, this interests me as well, for a different reason

When cars become unroadworthy we scrap them: the regulatory hassle of keeping a failed MOT isn't worth it for most people, and the scrappies have a process to take the car off you, sometimes you get paid, sometimes you pay for it. I have twice just handed the keys to the garage selling me the replacement car, and left them with the problem, and I've scrapped one write-off. Cars don't live forever.

But what happens with boats? They're not being built at the rate they were ten years ago but it's still a far higher rate than they are being scrapped at, and there isn't a "mechanism" for getting rid of a boat you can't afford to repair and no-one wants to buy off you -such boats must exist. Regulations mean that graveyards such as Croxton Flash are no longer an option: does one just take it to a tidal lock, and get off leaving it in gear?

I think you'll find it was the old member deliberately misunderstanding and getting shirty when I pointed out the figures he posted were bad.

Nope. The 'go figure' was I believe use of the American for 'yes, odd isn't it?' inferring that you'd expect fresh search results on the Internet would be up to date. You got the 'ump because you went for 'go look for yourself' and weren't offered a link, imposing the onerous burden of having to search it yourself.

Edited by twbm

Nope. The 'go figure' was I believe use of the American for 'yes, odd isn't it?' inferring that you'd expect fresh search results on the Internet would be up to date. You got the 'ump because you went for 'go look for yourself' and weren't offered a link, imposing the onerous burden of having to search it yourself.

You have completely the wrong end of the stick. I am quite capable of finding out the metal prices for myself which was how I knew that the ones posted here were well below market rate.

The guy who posted the figures is the one that needs a lesson in google searches and also the one that got the 'ump about it when it was pointed out to him.

This forum is truly living up to its reputation so far. Glad I joined.