biscuit tin cooking

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Knocked out my first stew the other day on top of the stove, felt great cooking it smelt lovely and tasted ace.

Got me thinking about what else I can cook on the stove, chilli, pasta bake, curry are all things ill have a go at but was thinking if a biscuit tin, raised on some coins could act as an oven, Maybe cook bread, pies, meat joints...

Anyone tried this method and had success?

when I was a kid we used to set one of those old fashioned bulk biscuit tins - about 10" cube - in a wood fire and surround it with twigs and stuff, and then bake rock cakes inside it.

AFAIR they were not soldered, just crimped along all the joins.

I had a holiday job working at Huntley Bourne and Stephens who made fancy tins for Huntley and Palmers. I had to set a half made box into a press, then touch a pedal which activated the press that put a flange around the sides of the tin top and bottom. One day a pretty girl walked past and my eyes swivelled round, I left my hand holding the top of the tin while I touched the pedal. I ran to the first aid room holding my hand inside the safety glove, blood pouring out. I had half-severed the upper joint of my 4th finger. I was sent home and never came back.

I still have an eye (I only have one good eye now) for a pretty girl.

when I was a kid we used to set one of those old fashioned bulk biscuit tins - about 10" cube - in a wood fire and surround it with twigs and stuff, and then bake rock cakes inside it.

AFAIR they were not soldered, just crimped along all the joins.

I recall doing something rather similar when I was at camp with the Boy Scouts. From memory, we had to dig out a bit of earth from a steep bank, set the tin (lid forward) in the resulting hole, and light a small wood fire under the tin. I remember it working well, but I have no recollection of what we cooke d in it.

I haven't seen what I would call a decently robust biscuit tin for years, and I think it would be hard to get and keep such an oven hot enough anyway (Athy's method uses the earth bank for that). Here is an idea for improvising an oven from other things for on top of a stove http://www.ourtinyhomestead.com/wood-stove-cooking.html

If you can look past this being a blog about vintage sewing machines, this blogger bakes rolls on a bakestone on their stove https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.com/2011/12/24/theres-a-lovely-smell/

I would think that recipes described as for a slow cooker would work, as people mostly seem to cook stews and the like. May be not a standard loaf of bread, but a few ideas if you are prepared to be a bit adventurous http://bakingqueen74.co.uk/baking-and-making-puddings-in-your-slow-cooker/

When we have tried cooking on top of the stove we find that it can easily burn so needs to be constantly stirred. Have even tried putting a trivet under the saucepan but then it did not cook the contents.

Edited by F DRAYKE

Stove top cooking does tend to mark the stove top if you sit any cooking pan or pot directly on the stove top.

It's a great way to cook though, especially in winter months when the stove is on anyway.

A biscuit tin will be far too thin resulting in uneven distribution of heat result, hot spots = burnt.

Better to get a cast iron pan with a lid or a griddle. You must remember to "season" cast iron cookwear by heating a little oil (3 or 4 drops) and sprinkling a little salt in and rubbing with some kitchen paper before cooking each time as food sticks to cast iron and this will prevent it. After washing it is also a good idea to just rub a little cooking oil around the pan as cast iron goes rusty very quickly. Happy cooking!