Diesel 'Purifier, Dewatering & 'Polishing'

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

http://www.marship.eu/diesel-duck

This looks a good 'piece of kit' and could be a business opportunity for someone ?

Self contained, self powered & easily carried from 'boat to boat', from the video it looks to do an excellent job.

https://youtu.be/24Z4srdiviQ

No connection with the product - just making folks aware of it.

A variation on a theme - will it separate bilge oil and diesel from water, so that the water is fit to discharge into the canal - just a guess, but it won't be surprised if this sort of thing soon becomes mandatory for bilge pumps.

Off at a tangent -this sort of device is fairly common and is required for condensate discharged by air compressors to retain the oil, and to make the water fit for tipping into public sewers. The bulk oil is collected in a bucket, and the dissolved oil removed from the water by a filter - where the running cost arises due to replacing saturated filters.

Narrowboats normally have a save-all around the engine to contain lube oil leaks and most fuel leaks so this should prevent that getting into the cut. Diesel is much less of a risk to the environment as it evaporates from the surface of the water. When I was working on big cruise ships we would always report the slightest diesel spill to the port authorities. Most times they did not attend or follow up. Heavy fuel oil spills would have been a different matter. This includes times we were in US ports and other environmentally sensitive areas.

How on earth do you polish a liquid? Looks like a flim flam to me a bit like those pellets that you put in your car tank in the early eighties that were supposed to halve your fuel consumption. If it looks too good to be true it always is.

Polish has more than one meaning. As well as meaning "to make shiny" like you would with brass, it also means "to improve or make better" as in polish up your English, innit.

How on earth do you polish a liquid? Looks like a flim flam to me a bit like those pellets that you put in your car tank in the early eighties that were supposed to halve your fuel consumption. If it looks too good to be true it always is.

Fancy term for filtering to a high level.

Polish has more than one meaning. As well as meaning "to make shiny" like you would with brass, it also means "to improve or make better" as in polish up your English, innit.

'Fuel polishing' is a term designed to appeal to well off middle class boaters who have never seen the inside of a filthy diesel tank.

The idea that pumping the fuel out, through a posh filter, then back into the filthy tank for a few hours will result in a clean tank is laughable.

'Fuel polishing' is a term designed to appeal to well off middle class boaters who have never seen the inside of a filthy diesel tank.

The idea that pumping the fuel out, through a posh filter, then back into the filthy tank for a few hours will result in a clean tank is laughable.

That's marketing for ya. There must be thousands of boats owned by that particular socio-economic group.

I'm guessing you've never seen the difference between "before" and "after" on a contaminated tank?

I'm guessing you've never seen the difference between "before" and "after" on a contaminated tank?

True. I've seen the 'before' of an old and filthy tank though and simply don't believe pumping sparkling clean diesel in and out will lift the grot and clean it properly.

Especially not from the opposite end from the return pipe.

True. I've seen the 'before' of an old and filthy tank though and simply don't believe pumping sparkling clean diesel in and out will lift the grot and clean it properly.

Especially not from the opposite end from the return pipe.

Agreed, it depends how it's pumped out and how it's returned. If it's sucked out (with high powered suction) from all over the bottom of the tank, and returned at high pressure to stir the grot so it can be sucked out, then it will often be successful. But not always (as I know to my cost)

And almost all the microbes, moulds and yeasts.

A 2 micron filter will remove yeasts and moulds but not bacteria. That would require a 0.5 micron filter, or smaller.

What is needed is for boatbuilders to design fuel tanks with some form of sump that allows water and debris to collect at the lowest point, making it easy to drain off. As MtB points out, fuel polishing is not going to clean a diesel tank.

Do you think that fuel-polisher would be any good if you had the sort of boat with a day tank?

Possibly. When I was deep sea on ships burning heavy fuel oil, we had 4 tanks. 2 held the dirty, unpurified oil, whilst the other 2 held the fuel which had been purified in a separator, which was the oil used in the engine. These were effectively our day tanks, changed over every day at noon. The oil discharge from the purifier/separator went into the not-in-use tank in case we had purifier issues and contaminated the fuel which was being used in the engine.

Edited by davem399