How oft to sweep

RufusR

Featured Posts

We swept ours this year in late Sept before lighting up in October , gave it a real good sweep with a stiff nee rigid chimney brush and took out the throat plate and replaced the fire bricks etc and checked seals . Now I wasnt intending to do it again until spring when the fire goes out but some opinon is we should do it again after 3 months and again before start of next winter ie twice a year .

some facts

1. we are burning a combination of Anthracite ( clean burn ) and winter blaze ( eggs not such a clean burn ie not smokeless ) *

2. Stove is lit 24 /7 and with the exeption of 2-3 times for de ashing/going away , will remain lit until next spring

3. Stove is a Squirrel

opinions please folks :

* Reason for this is Anth stays in better but is expensive and does not burn so hot esp when low wind / draw . WB burns hotter and lights better and is quite a bit cheaper but also doesn't stay in as well .. Together they are superb solution

It's not at all a direct comparison but chimneys in France must be swept annually or the insurers will not pay out in the case of fire. This is for brick chimneys or steel flexi inserts for wood-burning stoves. It does at least give some idea of what is considered safe, and boat chimneys are easy enough to clean, albeit rather messy at times.

Mine was thoroughly clogged up after about 18 months. Burnt some wood but mostly smokeless coal.

I couldnt get at the back of the stove (squirrel) due to the back boiler, So I just banged the chiney and stuck the henry down from the top. Quick and fairly clean job really.

Burning 100% wood I did mine every week, come home fire low, oven glove on drop baffle plate down, close door sweep flue, open door brush debis off baffle plate, reinstate baffle plate

Easy and quick with little dust, once you get the hang of it

Now I burn coal I do it monthly, in much the same way

Twice per year beginning and end of the 'burning season'.

Also sometimes during the season.

Did have a major restriction once in the last 7 years, reason unknown, did take some shifting,

More is better than less. smile.png

thanks for the input , think I will do it next spring and see what its like , when we did it this year it seems it was the first time ever ( we only bought boat last winter . As it was really bad , If its not great next spring will do it more often .

I am pretty bad about longing it out as long as possible between sweeping, so I do once at the start of the year's usage, once in the middle and once at the end.

Of course if the stove suddenly has no draw and turns into a PITA (which happened on the regular with my craptacular old stove but not my wonderful new one) I eventually have to bite the bullet and go and do it then as well.