stove silicon

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a decent silicon for my stove, wold like to seal the flue, flue collar and chimney collar.

Have used the stuff that's rated to 1200c and all it seems to do is crack up when dry, ideally I need somethin with a movement tolerance of 25%?

Also, what's best to paint over silicon once applied to chimney collar, the roof needs painting next summer and will be black so anything black is best I think ?

Thanks

Reading that I have tried similar stuff, mapeflex and victas, both crack when dry...

I'm a bit puzzled by this because surely silicone doesn't crack? There are plenty of rigid "fire cement" type sealants that do crack, but they aren't silicone.

I've not actually used that stuff. I used 300 degC silicone which has been perfect for about 4 years now. However some people will tell you that 300c isn't enough, but it has been fine for me.

Use fire cement where chimney enters stove. Use masking tape to get neat finish. When dry paint it with stove black paint. Each year check for any loose pieces and re fill any gaps left when you remove loose pieces, pretty easy maintenance.

Where the chimney enters the collar on the roof use silicone.

Use fire cement where chimney enters stove. Use masking tape to get neat finish. When dry paint it with stove black paint. Each year check for any loose pieces and re fill any gaps left when you remove loose pieces, pretty easy maintenance.

But, if using fire cement, each year there WILL be cracks and loose pieces. Alternatively, use black silicone sealant and years and years will go by with no cracks or loose pieces. Zero maintenance required. Your choice!

Edited by nicknorman

I'm a bit puzzled by this because surely silicone doesn't crack? There are plenty of rigid "fire cement" type sealants that do crack, but they aren't silicone.

I've not actually used that stuff. I used 300 degC silicone which has been perfect for about 4 years now. However some people will tell you that 300c isn't enough, but it has been fine for me.

I have used that stuff, Envirograf. It doesn't crack, but it does go less flexible and so can peel away from surfaces. It also produces the most awful noxious fumes when the stove is first lit - I had to evacuate the boat for an hour. I've painted it successfully with stove paint once cured.

But, if using fire cement, each year there WILL be cracks and loose pieces. Alternatively, use black silicone sealant and years and years will go by with no cracks or loose pieces. Zero maintenance required. Your choice!

Can see what your saying and it makes sense. I based my way by remarks on here about silicone not setting properly but guess that might have been user error and wrong product.

Anyway as long as the join is good all is well.Staying alive by whatever means is what counts for us all.

Our stove flue joint. Sealed with silicone 4 years ago and not touched since.

attachicon.gifIMG_2820.JPG

Pretty much the same with mine. I've used 'Delta' silicone rated to 300 deg.C. No cracking, shrinking or any other problems. My last stove had it in for seven years with on need to do anything.

I doubt my flue gets close to 300C most of the time. The only time it gets near is if I am running the stove very hard after arriving on a cold day.

Fire cement, and yes it does crack after a while, mine lasted 4 years before it cracked, Just keep an eye on it dig the old out and replace. I used black cement and also applied fire paint for a good finish as the black cement dried slightly gray. When the new fire was fitted the fitter used sicilicone and it shrank very quickly, but I don't know what make that was.

Ordinary cheap 2 quid a tube silicone is also high heat proof. I mentioned once before on here that I experimented by putting a blob of expensive red coloured £10 a tube of so called high temp silicone and a blob of cheap clear £2 a tube silicone on my shovel and stuck it into my stove upon the red hot coals. After a while they both broke down and crumbled at more or less the same moment and temperature.

Edited by bizzard

I cant remember where I got it from but the silicone I use on peacock worked quite well but as soon as it gets moved (you take a plate off ect) it just falls apart. The fire cement I use on towys was far better from screwfix I just sprayed it black with flameproof paint.