New chimneys!

bumblebee

Featured Posts

Why have new chimneys shrunk!?

we have bought 2 new chimney,s from 2 different chandlers and neither fit our outer colar, and we have asked other boaters to try the chimneys on their boats they still dont fit! WHY???

Is it because they are imported in, and they have been made in metric measurements, please has anyone else had or got this problem?

Try getting one to fit a very early one! You may find its been made wrong but most new ones are quite cheap and not the best so dont tend to really be fit for use a bit like the water cans some hold water but most don't.

Could always cheat and just by a 6inch tube and job done. I did this cut it down the middle put 3 jubilee clips on till it fitted and then had it tack welded tried it was happy so had it welded up. Half the cost of a cheap one and will last many more years not that heavy as its only thin but not as thin as the tin ones

yes we are going to go back with it, other boaters here have tried it on their chimneys and it doesnt fit any others either, thats why it seems it maybe an import. And with having two chimneys that dont fit, made us wonder.! we have been told by a stove fitter that the colars are made in india now.

Drill out the spot welds - spring the chimney to fit over the spigot - re-drill the spot welds to align the holes - fix in place with nuts and bolts.

I did something similar last month. I couldn't find a 6 inch chimney, measured several at chandlers but they all seem more like 150mm..

Ian.

I did something similar last month. I couldn't find a 6 inch chimney, measured several at chandlers but they all seem more like 150mm..

Ian.

Therein may well lie the problem - mixing imperial and metric measurements. There are too many people (some who should know much better) who think that common approximations (like 25 mm = 1 inch) are accurate. Sometimes it does not matter but in others only a small difference (2%) makes all the difference. (Like engineers who think that pi really does equal 22/7!)

After all, at 6 inches the difference is 2.4 mm which could ensure that a chimney does not fit where the expectation is quite tight.

Why have new chimneys shrunk!?

we have bought 2 new chimney,s from 2 different chandlers and neither fit our outer colar, and we have asked other boaters to try the chimneys on their boats they still dont fit! WHY???

Is it because they are imported in, and they have been made in metric measurements, please has anyone else had or got this problem?

Getting caught out once is fair enough.

Twice? Carry a tape next time or walk the chinmey (if close enough) to the boat and test it.

Third time lucky.

Just buy some 6" 304 stainless exhaust pipe/tube from Ebay, far better then the cheap mild steel chimneys. Some listings will swag it so it fits far better, if not you can just put a few slits in to get a tight fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T304-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Tube-Pipe-0-5m-6-152mm-/250873723551?hash=item3a693d3a9f:m:m2aD0aHY1oSHVf5KS0tqlEA

Edited by PD1964

Therein may well lie the problem - mixing imperial and metric measurements. There are too many people (some who should know much better) who think that common approximations (like 25 mm = 1 inch) are accurate. Sometimes it does not matter but in others only a small difference (2%) makes all the difference. (Like engineers who think that pi really does equal 22/7!)

After all, at 6 inches the difference is 2.4 mm which could ensure that a chimney does not fit where the expectation is quite tight.

Dead right Mike.

In words 6" and 150mm are readily interchangeable. But not in actual fact in practice.

Just buy some 6" 304 stainless exhaust pipe/tube from Ebay, far better then the cheap mild steel chimneys. Some listings will swag it so it fits far better, if not you can just put a few slits in to get a tight fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T304-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Tube-Pipe-0-5m-6-152mm-/250873723551?hash=item3a693d3a9f:m:m2aD0aHY1oSHVf5KS0tqlEA

Not double skinned though.

I brought a double skin chimney from a very well known chandlers the other day and it didn't fit, the inside skin is far to small and so let's all the smoke up the cavity, sadly I didn't realise till I'd tried it so when I took it back and pointed it out they said it had been used and the best they could do was offer to sell me a separate liner, I won't be shopping there anymore.

I brought a double skin chimney from a very well known chandlers the other day and it didn't fit, the inside skin is far to small and so let's all the smoke up the cavity, sadly I didn't realise till I'd tried it so when I took it back and pointed it out they said it had been used and the best they could do was offer to sell me a separate liner, I won't be shopping there anymore.

Just tell them its not fit for purpose you must replace or refund me they have no choice.

When I as "Boatmans Cabin Co was manufacturing vast quantities of chimneys we had two collars in production. The 6" and a 4"3/4", the commonest was the 6".

Chimneys were made of galvanised or stainless (BS304/8) steel and any liners we supplied sprung into place for safety.

The dimensions used for chimneys back then were 28" ht 6"ID - 5" id taper and 18" ht 6"-51/2". Same two heights were used for the smaller collar. The only other collar on the market was a "Yarwoods" 5 1/8" diameter for which "specials" were made.

With the junk imported from the east you get what you pay for, there are however good UK suppliers ie Micheal Pinnock.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Spot on, Laurence. I'm appalled with the quality of most available stuff, a far cry from what used to be available. Michael makes fine chimneys, to order....as does Andy Hoyle on Dove, Adrian Brindle from Daventry too. I've seen great stuff from Brinklow's Simon Wain. None are cheap, but if quality matters.....

Dave

When I as "Boatmans Cabin Co was manufacturing vast quantities of chimneys we had two collars in production. The 6" and a 4"3/4", the commonest was the 6".

Chimneys were made of galvanised or stainless (BS304/8) steel and any liners we supplied sprung into place for safety.

The dimensions used for chimneys back then were 28" ht 6"ID - 5" id taper and 18" ht 6"-51/2". Same two heights were used for the smaller collar. The only other collar on the market was a "Yarwoods" 5 1/8" diameter for which "specials" were made.

With the junk imported from the east you get what you pay for, there are however good UK suppliers ie Micheal Pinnock.

I would wager that imported chimneys which do not fit, or are of the wrong materials are incorrectly ordered.

Ian.

Edited by ianali

I went to the well known chandler when they had a 20% off everything day specifically to buy an already good value 12" high chimney at a bargain price . Luckily I noticed the inside skin was only about 4" and put it back but they were flying off the shelf that day so there must be others "in the same boat". Probably explains why they were only £22 in the 1st place.

I unfortunately brought a more expensive model, so I guess there all made like that then I was just surprised at that policy of not refunding or replacing it really.

I'll be more careful to check the sizing when I buy a new one ( not from there obviously)