Air in freshwater system

blackrose

Featured Posts

Ok, I managed to get the cap off the strainer but had to gently tap it with a hammer and screwdriver to loosen it! There was a bit of dirt in there but not much. I cleaned it out and screwed the cap back on with a bit of silicone grease on the cap threads.

Then I noticed a tiny water leak where the inlet pipe joins the pump. So much for my favourable review of Jabsco Par Max pumps on the other thread! I take it all back. The pipes are connected to the pump on both sides with plastic male fittings sealed with o-rings and a sliding locking mechanism. I took both out, gave them a wipe and smeared some silicon grease over the o-rings in an attempt to seal them. The inlet one seems to be sealed now but I've obviously disturbed the outlet seal as now it's leaking. I guess I need new o-rings but I've no idea what size they are so I will ring Mack Engineering who supplied the pump on Monday.

The ironic thing is that when I bought the pump on the phone I told the guy I was speaking to at Mack about the problems I had with the previous Shureflow pump. It had leaked and I'd repaired it and installed it into a square washing up bowl with a water level alarm in case it leaked again (which it did!). The guy at Mack Engineering laughed and said a decent quality pump shouldn't need to be installed in a bowl because it shouldn't leak in the first place. Well the Par Max has fared just as badly as the Shureflow. The pump itself is great but those stupid connections are a real Achilles heel in my opinion because you're relying on two little o-rings which will fail once the vibrations get to them over a few years. The connections to the pump are in flexible hose in case anyone was wondering

Same filter i have. The top does unscrew to allow access go wire mesh that catches the muck.

Would you mind checking yours and letting me know if there's any air in it because mine still almost half full of air. I've got a feeling it's supposed to be like that. I can't see how you'd get the air out if the pump won't do it.

I wonder if it is possible to connect the filter inlet and outlet pipes together then trying the taps.

No more air spurting identifies the filter as the problem

Thanks but I don't think it's the strainer after all.

Edited by blackrose

You can get spare o-rings from Jabsco. My filter always has some air in it. If there's room you could turn it upside down, in fact I think it's meant to be fitted with the bowl at the bottom - to let the air out. If you have the box it came in, I think there might be spare fittings with o-rings - my pump had two types of couplings. Can you post the full model number from the pump?

You can get spare o-rings from Jabsco. My filter always has some air in it. If there's room you could turn it upside down, in fact I think it's meant to be fitted with the bowl at the bottom - to let the air out. If you have the box it came in, I think there might be spare fittings with o-rings - my pump had two types of couplings. Can you post the full model number from the pump?

The pump is JABSCO PAR-MAX 31600 series (31600-0292). I'll have a look and see if I have any o-rings for it. I never throw stuff like that away - trouble is my memory's gone!

I sent the link purely because it's really quite hard to identify and source the o-rings you need and I think you'll still pay quite a lot. This way you can get them in the post within a couple of days. Alternative is to visit a plumber's merchant with the old o-rings and see if you can match them.

Please check that the fittings and pump housing are not cracked. I have a similar model and it leaked the first time I fitted it but it was ok after I re-seated the couplings once or twice.

I sent the link purely because it's really quite hard to identify and source the o-rings you need and I think you'll still pay quite a lot. This way you can get them in the post within a couple of days. Alternative is to visit a plumber's merchant with the old o-rings and see if you can match them.

Please check that the fittings and pump housing are not cracked. I have a similar model and it leaked the first time I fitted it but it was ok after I re-seated the couplings once or twice.

It's a bit of a crap design in my opinion. I mean if you had to re-seat the couplings then it doesn't give one much peace of mind. What's the point of removeable fittings, o-rings and sliding locking mechanisms? Why didn't they just have injection moulded male hose connections as part of the pump body, or better still factory fitted brass hoseclip connections as they aren't liable to crack.

My pump is a bit awkward to access so I was pleased that I could get the hoses onto the fittings first and then mount the pump. I think the o-rings are bit loose in the housings and will seal when there is pressure across them. Others have had problems with them.

My pump is a bit awkward to access so I was pleased that I could get the hoses onto the fittings first and then mount the pump. I think the o-rings are bit loose in the housings and will seal when there is pressure across them. Others have had problems with them.

Mmm... thanks for your help. I daresay I'll end up buying replacement fittings, but the miser in me wants to see if I can just find suitable o-rings first.

Just bought a JABSCO PAR-MAX for my sailaway not opened the box yet but this thread does concern me. Couple of points. Firstly I`ve a box of assorted "O" rings- easily sourced-EBay? Secondly get a tube of LSX Fernox leak

sealant. Have used this product on water fittings for years compression and some push fit. It with stands

mains water pressure and have even temporarily sealed a leak in the past by applying it and taping up

temporarily whilst curing for later more permanent repair.

Just bought a JABSCO PAR-MAX for my sailaway not opened the box yet but this thread does concern me. Couple of points. Firstly I`ve a box of assorted "O" rings- easily sourced-EBay? Secondly get a tube of LSX Fernox leak

sealant. Have used this product on water fittings for years compression and some push fit. It with stands

mains water pressure and have even temporarily sealed a leak in the past by applying it and taping up

temporarily whilst curing for later more permanent repair.

Thanks you've just reminded me that I have some LS-X somewhere so I'll try putting some on the o-rings.

The pump is JABSCO PAR-MAX 31600 series (31600-0292). I'll have a look and see if I have any o-rings for it. I never throw stuff like that away - trouble is my memory's gone!

My pump came with hose connectors and screwed connectors, both had O rings so gives a couple of spares.

My pump came with hose connectors and screwed connectors, both had O rings so gives a couple of spares.

I'm not sure what I did with my spares? I never throw things like that away, but it was about 5 years ago. Anyway, I've got some more coming in the post.

Edited by blackrose

Blackrose said ealier:

Would you mind checking yours and letting me know if there's any air in it because mine still almost half full of air. I've got a feeling it's supposed to be like that. I can't see how you'd get the air out if the pump won't do it.

Just spotted this. Mine is now dismantled but I guess operating the pump would have pushed any air straight out through the skin fitting.

Edited by valrene9600

Blackrose said ealier:

Just spotted this. Mine is now dismantled but I guess operating the pump would have pushed any air straight out through the skin fitting.

I received the new fittings today with o-rings and fitted then to the pump. I think one of the leaks was from one of the hosetail fittings so I fixed that with some LS-X. I only used silicone grease on the o-rings. Anyway it's all sealed now but I'm glad it's in the bowl with the water level alarm because I'm not confident of those fittings.

I think the only way to get all the air out of the strainer would be to raise the pump up higher. I tried turning it upside down with the pump running but that didn't work. I'll see if the taps continue slputtering and if so I'll lift the pump above the strainer.

The one you pictured, post 19?, mine has an arrow on the side.

Hmm, that's odd, mine doesn't. I've opened it up and it's symmetrical and is the same in either direction. It's just a plastic bowl with 2 pipes and a stainless strainer.

What is it about yours that means it needs to be installed in a certain direction?

Edited by blackrose