tug Olton

spadefoot

Featured Posts

On a wander today I spotted a tug called Olton. I like the more industrial looking boats but I don't know much about them. So what can people on here tell me about this boat? For example, when built, what engine, where was it used? Anything really.

Thanks chaps & Ms chaps.

Brilliant.

Saw the link to the video but don't have the data allowance for streaming, maybe another day.

Yes Magnetman, that tug looks almost identical. So what is a HL6A,? I'm guessing 6 pot air cooled.

It's strayed a little way off the Avon but I cant see it getting much further with that draft.

Cheers folks.

Brilliant.

Saw the link to the video but don't have the data allowance for streaming, maybe another day.

Yes Magnetman, that tug looks almost identical. So what is a HL6A,? I'm guessing 6 pot air cooled.

It's strayed a little way off the Avon but I cant see it getting much further with that draft.

Cheers folks.

Interesting its on the Avon. I wonder if it went there by water? (Limehouse-Thames-Reading-K&A). I knoa tugs are deep for obvious reasons but AFAIK it was used on the River Lee so it might not actually be 4ft6 draught.

I don't know what the depth over cills is on the K&A ?

There was one at Gloucester museum can't remember which one.

Years ago I did a tug driving course on that one and Kennet

Great day out

I don't know what the depth over cills is on the K&A ?

anything over 3'7" ,1.1m and you would struggle through the western concrete section on the K&A unless of course they have raised the water level....

Yeah, don't know how it would've got there. Hanham weir is on the Avon.

Mind you, if it was built in Lowestoft, how did it get to the Lee?

Good question.

Perhaps it was towed round the coast. Pretty well designed for rough water - if it was just a shell with no portholes or doors it would probably tow fine even in rough water.

Or could it possibly have been lifted into a coaster or something and shipped round ?

So what is a HL6A,? I'm guessing 6 pot air cooled.

Interestingly if you Google "Lister HL6A" just about every hit relates to this video, or in some other way to "Naseby".

Many of the usual "old engine" databases don't seem to list it. (where it is listed it is generally as HL6, rather than HL6A)

In one of the comments on a video Mike says....

"A 6 cylinder air cooled Lister engine in the Ex-BW tug Naseby. The serial number is 001, so must make it's build date 1983. It develops 101 HP at 2500 RPM.",

but the bit of the video that shows the data plate isn't clear. I couldn't see evidence of an 001 serial number - it looks to have a "proper" serial number to me, that I couldn't read. The data plate certainly contains "HL6A - 36", which if it worked like some other engines might indicate a 1986 build date (1950 + 36 = 1986). I'm not sure what Mike's evidence is for the 1983 claim.

Actually a reference I have found indicates HL6s were built between 1983 and 1991, so not a particularly old engine.

The "Naseby" was and is a very fine boat as were its sisters. All GU tugs built for tugging were named after areas and towns next to the GUC, this extended to the Grand Union (Shipping) Ltd whose ships bore familiar names.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 5 years later...