MISSING JACK RUSSELL, Sighted Dobsons Bridge Whixall, Whitchurch, Shropshir.

polly101

Featured Posts

Interesting date on it which actually pre-dates the introduction of compulsory microchipping.

And if he had had a tag with house number and postcode on (as suggested as adequate above) rather than no tag at all I suspect prosecution would not have followed.

Dog tags and the law.

An example of the information to put on a dog tag is:

Mr A Smtih

No 54, BH17 7TD

01202 232218

OR

Mr A Smtih

No 54 Letsbe Avenue

BH17 7TD

01202 232218

Edited by MJG

I completely fail to see why an address or postcode needs to be included. If a dog is found, surely the first thing done would be to phone, not turn up on a doorstep which may be miles away?

My dogs' tags do not include my home address, only my landline and mobile numbers and my boat name. The older one has gone missing twice, and boith times I received a call on my mobile. From pubs, oddly enough.......cool.png

I completely fail to see why an address or postcode needs to be included.

Because the law requires it! As determined by Parliament. But you will probably get away with not complying and that's entirely your choice. I just choose, as a responsible citizen, to comply with the law. I even follow the speed limits! (within 5mph). As I suggested you can comply with the law and still make it difficult for passers-by to read your details.

I think that a post code and house number, while not complying with the letter of the law, would be a good defence if you were prosecuted and any fine would be minimal. But I did not realise when I was planning to take a 'rescue' that the requirement was for name and full address. Mea culpa.

Back on topic, any news of missing pooch?

Because the law requires it! As determined by Parliament. But you will probably get away with not complying and that's entirely your choice. I just choose, as a responsible citizen, to comply with the law. I even follow the speed limits! (within 5mph). As I suggested you can comply with the law and still make it difficult for passers-by to read your details.

Adhering to speed limits is complying with the law, exceeding them by 5mph is breaking it. So in that sense you are just as 'guilty' of breaking the law as someone who only puts minimal details on their dog tags.

(And of course just as unlikely to be prosecuted unless it's outside the ACPO guidlines of course).

Would an E-mail address be better than a street address?

Bod

The barrack room laweys would say no of course, but common sense would say yes. Edited by MJG

This is yet another example of the law being an ass. When the new microchip law came into force the old 1992 legislation should have been amended. Our dogs have their name, our mobile number on and the words I'm chipped engraved on. Since we have no proper address it would be riduclous to ask us to have an address on there. All the information required is on the chip. incidentally, ours have recently had boosters and the first thing the vet did was to scan for a chip. This is the first time they have been to the vet since the legislation came into force so I'm guessing its part of a vets remit now to check every dog that they see. NIce to know our dog's microchips are still functioning. I would suppose tne powers that be will get around to amending the act at some point. When, well your guess is as good as mine. Afterall, until a few years ago it was legal to shoot an arrow at a Welshman from the city walls in York. You know full well the cogs of government move very slowly here.

Edited by tillergirl

This is yet another example of the law being an ass. When the new microchip law came into force the old 1992 legislation should have been amended. Our dogs have their name, our mobile number on and the words I'm chipped engraved on. Since we have no proper address it would be riduclous to ask us to have an address on there. All the information required is on the chip. incidentally, ours have recently had boosters and the first thing the vet did was to scan for a chip. This is the first time they have been to the vet since the legislation came into force so I'm guessing its part of a vets remit now to check every dog that they see. NIce to know our dog's microchips are still functioning. I would suppose tne powers that be will get around to amending the act at some point. When, well your guess is as good as mine. Afterall, until a few years ago it was legal to shoot an arrow at a Welshman from the city walls in York. You know full well the cogs of government move very slowly here.

greenied for common sense.

This is yet another example of the law being an ass. Afterall, until a few years ago it was legal to shoot an arrow at a Welshman from the city walls in York. You know full well the cogs of government move very slowly here.

So when did they repeal the law about shooting arrows at Welshmen? The law is indeed an ass. cool.png