Oozells loop - Pubs?

linnit

Featured Posts

I'm not really sure if I'm understanding your question, but i don't think there are any pubs on tbe Ouzells loop.

There are a few pubs dotted around the general Birmingham city centre canalside, but I'm not sure I'd want to moor outside any of them even if it was possible.

Why do you specifically need to moor outside a pub?

You might be able to moor in a short section of 48hr mooring at the start of Oozle St loop, but there isn't a pub there and it becomes private/marina moorings. There are moorings along the main line above, below and opposite the newSherborne Street Wharf premises and the Fiddle and Bone pub.

I'm not really sure if I'm understanding your question, but i don't think there are any pubs on tbe Ouzells loop.

There are a few pubs dotted around the general Birmingham city centre canalside, but I'm not sure I'd want to moor outside any of them even if it was possible.

Why do you specifically need to moor outside a pub?

..cos I love to drink...and it will be easier to moor up than the place I tried to buy coal from you on the Shroppie..?

Fiddle & Bone closed at present. Prince of Wales, Wetherspoons or Craven Arms.

Oh and there is the Malthouse which might be apt with the US elections on.

Do you know why the fiddle & bone is closed?? Must admit we looked in over the summer but the beer choice seemed quite dull so we wandered over to the Wellington & post office vaults.....

Cheers

Gareth

Oh and there is the Malthouse

Been to Malthouse many a time but not by boat...if I can moor outside that would be ideal....Ta

Do you know why the fiddle & bone is closed?? Must admit we looked in over the summer but the beer choice seemed quite dull so we wandered over to the Wellington & post office vaults.....

Cheers

Gareth

I understand from one of Sherbornes moorers that the complex closed 2 months ago in being sold. New owners plan to reopen pub. Meanwhile the Sherborne Wharf offices are now on a boat on their moorings, their engineer is thought to be working from the drydock at Hockley Port and the shop and launderette are closed. Diesel, pump out and coal still available.

I understand from one of Sherbornes moorers that the complex closed 2 months ago in being sold. New owners plan to reopen pub. Meanwhile the Sherborne Wharf offices are now on a boat on their moorings, their engineer is thought to be working from the drydock at Hockley Port and the shop and launderette are closed. Diesel, pump out and coal still available.

Blimey that didn't last long....bit of a shame as the laundrette and chandlery could have been very useful. They must have spent a bit reopening it all. Wonder what went wrong?

Gareth

I will be in Birmingham centre tomorrow...are there any pubs I can moor beside overnight in Oozells Loop..ta in advance

Oozels loop has always been our preferred mooring spot. Off the main drag, local security cameras trained on the boat fore and aft, overnight security patrol, a Spar just up the steps etc. Never had any trouble - want a pub?- walk a bit!

Oozels loop has always been our preferred mooring spot. Off the main drag, local security cameras trained on the boat fore and aft, overnight security patrol, a Spar just up the steps etc. Never had any trouble - want a pub?- walk a bit!

I agree that it my first choice place to moor in the centre.

I a very surprised by the Fiddle and Bone closing after such a short time, I think that is a great shame.

...walking isn't the problem.....it's the staggering back that is?

...walking isn't the problem.....it's the staggering back that is?

If it's a good range of cheap beer you want there are two Wetherspoons on Broad Street only a short walk away. The figure of Eight is the quieter one.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Blimey that didn't last long....bit of a shame as the laundrette and chandlery could have been very useful. They must have spent a bit reopening it all. Wonder what went wrong?

Gareth

Brexit laugh.png

Tim

Oh and there is the Malthouse

Been to Malthouse many a time but not by boat...if I can moor outside that would be ideal....Ta

The Prince of Wales is a fine pub and easy to get to (and back from). It is only about 100 yards from the Malthouse - in the street immediately behind.

The Wellington has a great range of real ale, ciders and perrys but you need to know where it is (and it's a fair stroll).

Gareth

It's a great shame. Lovely setting. Only been in once after it reopened. Very quiet. Food only okay and not great price.

Service not great either. Not encouraging.

Edited by Mrs Trackman

Cheers

Gareth

A shame if it has closed after Earle did a great job doing it up.

:(

I will be in Birmingham centre tomorrow...are there any pubs I can moor beside overnight in Oozells Loop..ta in advance

No pubs on the Oozells loop.

A shame if it has closed after Earle did a great job doing it up.

:(

I wasn't a fan. Rather too big and draughty. Inexperienced staff. No pork scratchings. Average beer selection. Badly cooked food with limited choice. There are so many excellent pubs in Birmingham now, the only customers they attracted were on sunny days to the beer garden and lazy boaters who couldn't be bothered to walk to anywhere better. The pub has enormous potential but needs an experienced and imaginative landlord to bring it to life. Edited by Dave_P
  • Greenie 1

I wasn't a fan. Rather too big and draughty. Inexperienced staff. No pork scratchings. Average beer selection. Badly cooked food with limited choice. There are so many excellent pubs in Birmingham now, the only customers they attracted were on sunny days to the beer garden and lazy boaters who couldn't be bothered to walk to anywhere better. The pub has enormous potential but needs an experienced and imaginative landlord to bring it to life.

I'd agreee with the above, especially with the comment 'average beer selection'. But then again I confess to being a beer geek.

Anyone tried this place http://www.gunmakersarms.com/

Its near the bottom of Farmer's Bridge, close to the Children's Hospital. I've been meaning to have a look but haven't managed to get there yet.

I wasn't a fan. Rather too big and draughty. Inexperienced staff. No pork scratchings. Average beer selection. Badly cooked food with limited choice. There are so many excellent pubs in Birmingham now, the only customers they attracted were on sunny days to the beer garden and lazy boaters who couldn't be bothered to walk to anywhere better. The pub has enormous potential but needs an experienced and imaginative landlord to bring it to life.

I can see your point. Just that it was a grotty abandoned building, as you may have gathered, I'm more interested in the building than the beer.

:)

If it's a good range of cheap beer you want there are two Wetherspoons on Broad Street only a short walk away. The figure of Eight is the quieter one.

Tim

I went in the big one at the bottom and asked for an ipa. I was told if I wanted ale they only had John smiths or Guinness. Went back to the malt house but only because of the view and fantastic heaters outside and they had real ale. Edited by thebfg