Genuine question on staying on visitor moorings in winter

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Like last year, the rules on vms over winter are that all shall become 14 days unless stated otherwise.

I presume that CRT's defnition of a vm might be that it's listed as a vm in their boater's guide?

Which brings me to my point. I was planning a long, slow trip round the northern reaches of the BCN in the new year. Sneyd Junction has a vm. It's listed as one hour maximum but is definitely listed as a visitor mooring, unlike other places where visitor moorings are listed seperately to the service mooring. Now, from memory, the one hour vm at Sneyd IS the service mooring so it seems odd to me that CRT have listed it this way. I expect you see where I'm going with this...?

What if I moored there for 14 days, with a 'welcome to breast up' sign in my window, in case someone needs to use the services? I can't see that CRT can reasonably do anything about it and I expect that the service block there goes weeks without use anyway?

Thoughts?

If it's both a visitor mooring and a service mooring, as you suggest, I suppose the question is which rules take precedence - the VM rules that say '14 days in winter by default' or the SM rules that say 'only while using the services'. IMHO the most reasonable/least selfish assumption would be that the 'services' rule takes precedence, but if it's genuinely unlikely even to crop up (because the services are so little used) I can see how letting boats breast up if necessary might represent a happy medium.

I presume that CRT's defnition of a vm might be that it's listed as a vm in their boater's guide?

I'd suggest giving the local office a call to clarify: the Boaters' Guides and visitor mooring data are due an update and may not currently reflect the latest position.

I'd suggest giving the local office a call to clarify: the Boaters' Guides and visitor mooring data are due an update and may not currently reflect the latest position.

True. Silver Street Visitor Mooring and facilities isn't even listed in the boater's guide. How out-of-date are they?

I'm fairly sure that there is no actual sign at Sneyd designating it as a VM. Just the usual 1 hour max that tells you the tap has a reasonable pressure (if it says 30 mins then you just know it is slow)

We've moored there twice, first time on an empty permanent mooring, the second time on the services, both times overnight. On the second occasion it was made clear to us by one of the residents that it was not a visitor mooring.

If you are cruising the Northern BCN then don't forget that Pratts Mill Aqueduct is closed until 31st January with no Christmas window.

I'm fairly sure that there is no actual sign at Sneyd designating it as a VM. Just the usual 1 hour max that tells you the tap has a reasonable pressure (if it says 30 mins then you just know it is slow)

We've moored there twice, first time on an empty permanent mooring, the second time on the services, both times overnight. On the second occasion it was made clear to us by one of the residents that it was not a visitor mooring.

If you are cruising the Northern BCN then don't forget that Pratts Mill Aqueduct is closed until 31st January with no Christmas window.

Ugh! Thanks for the head's up. Certainly coming out of Brum the post-christmas stoppages greatly outnumber the pre-christmas!

Personally I wouldn't block the services even with the sign. It's not easy to clamber across a wet and slippy boat in icy conditions with a cassette in your hands.

Completely in agreement. It is never right to moor on a service point its a complete pain in the butt when people do it.

Tim

Oh Dave, it's pretty obvious from your question that you know it would be at least a bit naughty to stay there. You never know when you might need such a mooring only to find someone naughty hogging it - follow your conscience and keep to the moral high ground! :)

• Greenie 1

It's certainly an oddity. It's definitely listed in some places as a visitor mooring in a way that other service moorings are not. I'd tend to agree that this should be treated as a service mooring and not to moor there but I think I'll raise it with CRT anyway.

If I remember correctly, there are visitor moorings and a service point.

You wont need to moor on the service point.

Good shower facillities, i remember that much.

Thanks, I couldn't remember properly but if that's right, why a 1 hour limit?

I've just looked at the map, and i see what you are on about. Confusing.

But I am sure you can moor longer, just not on the service bit.

The wharf is used by canoe/ kaiak people, so very busy in the summer.

It was 4 years ago since I went there and only stopped for water and a shower. So a bit vague on the layout.

Remember having a chat with an old guy who used to work the boats through there. Several 80 ft boats pulled at a time.