Our 1st boat....

wobbly ollie

Featured Posts

Weve just purchased our 1st boat ...a 50 foot narrowboat which we'll moor in Newbury. What we lack in experience we'll make up for in an enthusiasm to learn and i am sure this forum will be a great source of information. Can anyone recommend which publications and maps we should purchase as a basic starter pack? Eg A detailed waterways map of the UK, I have geard Nicholsons guides mentioned often. Is there such a book as a beginers guide to narrowboating? Anything that covers the mechanical or technical aspect of narrowboat ownership would also be useful.

Welcome, and congratulations.

Opinions on guide books vary: in this writer's opinion, the Pearson Canal Companions are the best. Ample information, lively writing style.

I'm not qualified to offer technical advice, but many on this forum are, and I'm sure that one or two of them will be along shortly.

Pearson's v Nicholsons is almost as good as pump-out v cassette.

If you prefer to use proper maps then Nicholson's wins. If you want more detailed text, then Pearson's wins.

Personally I can't be doing with a map which doesn't respect where north is, so it's Nicholson's all the way for me.

Pearson's v Nicholsons is almost as good as pump-out v cassette.

If you prefer to use proper maps then Nicholson's wins. If you want more detailed text, then Pearson's wins.

Personally I can't be doing with a map which doesn't respect where north is, so it's Nicholson's all the way for me.

Personally I prefer a map which shows the canal going across the page, always in the same direction. So it's Pearson's all the way for me.

(Continued P.94)

...in other words, Ollie, wobble along to your nearest chandlery or decent bookshop, have a look at both ranges (each comes in several separate volumes, arranged by area) and choose whichever suits you better.

Edited by Athy

Weve just purchased our 1st boat ...a 50 foot narrowboat which we'll moor in Newbury. What we lack in experience we'll make up for in an enthusiasm to learn and i am sure this forum will be a great source of information. Can anyone recommend which publications and maps we should purchase as a basic starter pack? Eg A detailed waterways map of the UK, I have geard Nicholsons guides mentioned often. Is there such a book as a beginers guide to narrowboating? Anything that covers the mechanical or technical aspect of narrowboat ownership would also be useful.

You might find this useful if you haven't got it already. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/141.pdf

You might find this useful if you haven't got it already. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/141.pdf

Both Nicholson's and Pearson's have their fans. I prefer Pearson's but it I think both have their merits.

I fully agree with Lysander - the Boaters handbook will be a useful asset to have and may help to give you a basic understanding of the waterways. Another very useful publication is the RYA Inland Waterways Handbook which is also the course book for the Inland Waterways helmsman's certificate.

Enjoy your new boat.

Howard

Is there such a book as a beginers guide to narrowboating? Anything that covers the mechanical or technical aspect of narrowboat ownership would also be useful.

There's any number of blog sites out there where boaters, newbie and experienced, relate their boating experiences, pitfalls and advice.

And most of the mechanical and technical stuff gets covered on here, so have a look through the forum, or use the forum search (or google) for specific things of concern. If you can't find what you want ask away, although you may well get a wearisome response that XXX has been discussed here so many times before, as well as some helpful info.

And before you ask, you aren't charging your batteries enough, and they are probably now knackered*.

[*technical term]

This book was very useful to me when I first bought my boat. (Other books / vendors available!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROW-BOATS-CARE-AND-MAINTENANCE-Nick-Billingham-HARDBACK-/351855529609?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Edited by PaulG

Or get them both ......

... Which is what I did for the area I frequent the most. In my opinion the Pearson was the better read of the two (and is cheaper if you are buying new at full price - which I didn't) but my preference is Nicholson for the following main reasons:

1. Uses proper maps based on Ordnance Survey.

2. North is always top of the page which makes it easier for me to follow.

3. The ring binding makes it easier to use on the move.

... Which is what I did for the area I frequent the most. In my opinion the Pearson was the better read of the two (and is cheaper if you are buying new at full price - which I didn't) but my preference is Nicholson for the following main reasons:

1. Uses proper maps based on Ordnance Survey.

2. North is always top of the page which makes it easier for me to follow.

3. The ring binding makes it easier to use on the move.

This, I think, is the one area in which Nicholson's has the advantage over Pearson's. Michael, if you read this, please consider ring-binding your guides from now on!

The IWA and Geo Projects do maps of the network showing rough times between points which is handy for quick ballpark figure planning. Canal Planner on the Web is a great resource for a more detailed view of potential routes. On the move, I prefer Nicholsons for the mapping, but text in all of the guides is usually amended in the latest issue just in time to be out of date. As long as you allow for the post office to be a hairdresser, the greengrocers to be a hairdresser and the 'useful baker's shop' to be an estate agent and the 'interesting hardware store' to be a charity shop, you'll be ok. Oh, and the 'friendly pub with an open fire a short walk from Bridge 62' is 2 miles across a muddy field and it closed 2 years ago. Bummer; sorry.

Has anyone used the phone app yet as supplied by rcr.

neil

I believe they are the old e-canalmapp, very good but with the following reservations

Not updated regularly

You can't see your tablet or mobile screen in bright sunlight whilst your underway

Unless your mobile/tablet is on charge you will soon drain their internal batteries

A bit of a faff scrolling, panning and zooming to identify local points of interest

I like the Pearson's because i can see it (Nicholson's was written by atoms) and it's more of a comfortable and informative read without being to grown up. Plus

it shows the windy holes (not horseshoes) that Nicholson misses out and shows more detail. I have both bought in advance and i cling to the Pearsons while the Nicholson

keeps my book shelf company

W8XU2BO.jpg

Pearsons so pretty

I believe they are the old e-canalmapp, very good but with the following reservations

Not updated regularly

You can't see your tablet or mobile screen in bright sunlight whilst your underway

Unless your mobile/tablet is on charge you will soon drain their internal batteries

A bit of a faff scrolling, panning and zooming to identify local points of interest

This was the MK1 cornfake box sun shield housing for my Ipad, this has now been replaced by a wooden, waterproof one so it keeps both sun and rain off.

post-261-0-44112500-1478293881_thumb.jpg

Nicholsons guides all the way for me, but then I've been taught how to read a map so the others drive me mad as they are not to scale and don't show north.

I've tried looking at other canal guides and just can't get my head round them.

I agree Martin. Nicholson for me too. If I want a laugh or a chuckle I read a Pearsons.

Nicholsons guides all the way for me, but then I've been taught how to read a map so the others drive me mad as they are not to scale and don't show north.

I've tried looking at other canal guides and just can't get my head round them.

The same for me, I was taught to read maps, and a cousin of mine co-wrote the original Nicholsons so I have to like them.

I am surprised to read an implication that Pearson's maps are not to scale. As all mine are on the boat and I'm not, I can't prove it, but I have always had the impression that they adhere to a scale (from memory, two inches to a mile).

The same for me, I was taught to read maps, and a cousin of mine co-wrote the original Nicholsons so I have to like them.

I have to admit that I've never really read much of the written information in them. My draw to the Nicholsons is that it uses Ordnance Survey mapping and with a quick glance i can instantly see what is what,in which direction and how far away.