Northchurch lock in the 60s. Shots of Willow Wren Boats

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Just in case anyone interested in historic boats hasn't seen this BFI film, I've posted the link. The scenes at Northchurch lock start at 19'06".

Besides Dipper and Cygnus, there's what looks like a josher coming into the lock at the very end of the film. It's an early conversion of an ex-working boat and I wondered if anyone knows which one.

link

I think I posted this here before, but may be wrong.

What you actually have is Dipper (ex Bristol) and Baildon coming North under the captaincy of John Henry Meese, and then coming South Coleshill & Cygnus, with Ray White (one of Willow Wrem's most senior captains) in charge. (As John Henry Mees initially turns the lock he presumably has no idea that a nother Willow Wren CTS pair was approaching it, unless I'm missing something obvious).

Disappointingly (for me!) any other pair travelling ahead of John Henry Meese does not appear, which is a shame, as I'm told invariably he travelled "buttying" with his daughter and son in law Ron and Liz Green, and the motor there would probably have been our Flamingo.

Just to be unhelpful though, I have no idea what the converted boat is, although it is clearly quite short.

The explanation of the plaque on Coleshill is here.

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks Alan for the information. I was pretty sure you'd know. Still intrigued about the josher, though.

Yes, someone must know, I feel sure.

I wonder if a still could be extracted from the film, which might make it get seen a bit more easily.

Here's the boat in question

attachicon.gifConverted josher.JPG

I think this was the fore end of a "Josher " butty that was cut down & converted along with a couple of others on the bank on the offside bank just the Radcliffe lock side of Kegworth shallow lock late 50's early 60's I never ever remember seeing a name on it,, it's the front of the cabin that strikes a cord.

I don't think it is Pearl, which was full length, which I don't think this is.

Photo copyright: Mike Fincher

Blackandwhites011.jpg

Blackandwhites011.jpg

Blackandwhites011.jpg

On the 6th March 2012, you say in your post of 6.46pm that you are "now totally certain that the photo is of Pearl...." ?

On the 6th March 2012, you say in your post of 6.46pm that you are "now totally certain that the photo is of Pearl...." ?

???????????

The picture I posted of a converted motor pulling butty Capella is definitely Pearl.

I don't think it is the converted boat that appears in the Northchurch film.

???????????

The picture I posted of a converted motor pulling butty Capella is definitely Pearl.

I don't think it is the converted boat that appears in the Northchurch film.

I think Mr thebridge has got confused.

When you said "I don't think it is Pearl, which was full length, which I don't think this is." I think he thought that the "I don't think this is" bit referred to the picture you posted and not the subject of whether it was Pearl or not.

The converted boat is the full length Bison identifiable by its distinctive front window and headlight. There is a pic with this cabin on in its entry on the National Historic Ships website but I can't add a link or copy the pic on my phone. Could someone else oblige?

Paul

I know the boat looks in some shots only about 45ft but that is due go foreshortening as a result of perspective and indeed when the boat is first glimpsed behind the gate handrail it appears much longer. Other distinctive features of Bison were the cabin roof curving down at bow, segment of tyre over stem bar and the castle panel at the stern. All very distinctive and as far as I know unique to Bison. I remember the boat at Cowley in the late 60s from "boat spotting" walks as a schoolboy and was always intrigued by its hump-backed appearance.

Paul

Yes I now agree its "Bison", one thing about her was that she retained the full FMC colours on her bow having never been repainted into BW blue, they were still vibrant when she was moored at Lapworth.

I have heard numerous tales of BISON trading throughout its time with 'British Waterways' in its F.M.C. Ltd. livery but I am afraid this is not correct. BISON was docked in December 1952 and the following photographs were taken at Whitsun 1953 - hence the flags and bunting (courtesy of the Arthur Watts collection, C.& R.T. Archive):

v0_web.jpg

v0_web.jpg

My understanding is that when BISON was sold in June 1956 it was then restored to its F.M.C. Ltd. red, yellow and green livery prior to being converted a year or two later. I have no evidence to prove this but it may explain the unusual sight of this livery being seen in the mid to late 1950's captain.gif