hi all which are the uks quietest canals least used?

colin1325

Featured Posts

There is a potential problem with that....... no moving boats >excessive weed > any boats that want to move struggle > boaters tell everyone how difficult it was to travel the canal > fewer boats come.

Did you know there are counters on certain locks to show how often it has been used? CRT know which canals get the most use and with limited funds they will direct the money for maintenance to the canals where it benefits most boaters > fewer boats = less maintance

Enjoy your quiet canal while you can before it reverts to a ditch

It ain't necessarily so .......

My boat draws over 3ft stationary, so they're all ditches to me.

I even keep mainline canals navigable for others.

No need to thank me, it's just a service I'm proud to perform. closedeyes.gif

It ain't necessarily so .......

My boat draws over 3ft stationary, so they're all ditches to me.

I even keep mainline canals navigable for others.

No need to thank me, it's just a service I'm proud to perform. closedeyes.gif

That makes two of us then - Python draws 3'3" so we have started moving her up and down The Chessie to keep the channel open to assist CRT

Hear, hear

Funny though isnt it. I have found that the nicer the canal is the quieter it is over the years. As a for instance one of my least favourite and very overated canals is the Llangollen and its often busy as hell whereas for instance the Selby is quiet as a mouse but fab as is the ripon.

Tim

That makes two of us then - Python draws 3'3" so we have started moving her up and down The Chessie to keep the channel open to assist CRT

Our society's boat is her sister Panther another 3 foot plus'er.

Between these three and the coal boats we should have an argument for a licence debate.

I can't remember the last time I tied my boat "Alcatraz" against the bank.

We are moored on the Thames just below Pangbourne. Its spectacularly beautiful here and as far as I am ware zero boats have gone past us today (except for one little rowing boat). This might be because Goring Lock is closed. Will go right up to Goring tomorrow for beer at the Catherine wheel and expect to have the river to ourselves again.

................Dave

By definition, the Huddersfield Narrow canal must be one of the quietest, as only three boats per day are allowed through Standedge tunnel (each way) and then only three days per week IIRC.

Last time we did it we saw four boats in a week.

By definition, the Huddersfield Narrow canal must be one of the quietest, as only three boats per day are allowed through Standedge tunnel (each way) and then only three days per week IIRC.

Last time we did it we saw four boats in a week.

And people wonder why CRT waste time and money worrying about enjoyment of the waterways by such nobodies as walkers, cyclists, anglers, tourists and families, and such trivialities as wildlife conservation, rather than focusing relentlessly on the experience of boaters...

I'd nominate the Cromford canal as its short, and landlocked. Never been there to see though!

quote]

I've walked most of its length (including the currently unrestored section) and it is indeed peaceful. Thee were no powered boats on it then, though I heard that they have now reintroduced a trip boat.

Really great link Thanx colin

Colin, I'm intrigued about why you ask. All you are getting so far is a list of nominations, rather than definitive information.

Do you need this information for a specific purpose? If so could you expand on this reason please? There might be other ways we can help. Or are you just idly curious?

Perhaps he wants to cruise on some quiet canals. That would be the obvious motivation for his question.

...in which case people might be wasting their time by talking about canals that aren't connected to the network, aren't fully navigable, etc., which is why it'd be nice to know.

Right, enough of this nonsense.

I reckon the quietest canal in the uk has to be the Lancaster canal between Millness and Wakefields Wharf a distance of about 255 metres. It's one of the now landlocked sections of the Northern Reaches and despite it's diminutive stature the "first furlong", as it is known, is fully navigable and has one boat the trip boat "Waterwitch" which offers free "cruises" along the canal in summer.

Right, enough of this nonsense.

I reckon the quietest canal in the uk has to be the Lancaster canal between Millness and Wakefields Wharf a distance of about 255 metres. It's one of the now landlocked sections of the Northern Reaches and despite it's diminutive stature the "first furlong", as it is known, is fully navigable and has one boat the trip boat "Waterwitch" which offers free "cruises" along the canal in summer.

And I offer the Swansea Canal, or the Neath Canal, or the Llanymynach section of the Montgomneryshire Canal.